• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

What did you do to your dirty bike today?

I installed my new rear Maxxis Desert IT last night. The tire is still holding air this morning.:thumbup I can't remember the last time I pinched a tube, but the odds go up exponentially, as I get closer to needing to ride it. :teeth

I took the cover off of it... Need to load onto Trailer for StonyBarf!

Raced the harescramble at MMX today. Definitely wasn't in the best riding shape for it, but it was a good time. Had a cramp in each leg that was pretty tough to get through. Also had a blister on my palm break on the last lap, that was not my favorite. Saw at least 3-4 spills right in front of me, plus there were a bunch of others. Those sand tracks will bite if you're not careful.

Ordered a 3.3g tank and some other small bits, yard sale will be proud. :)

I washed the Alta for the second time ever. It is getting a one year checkup tomorrow. 1900 miles.

I should have! Just some radiator shrouds, gloves and liners, rim lock and rim tape. Bike is over 115hrs, so it's time for a top end and timing chain next and maybe I'll grab those sweet pegs too.

Been doing some more tinkering on the YZ250.

First, been playing with oil weights/heights on the forks as well as clickers front and rear. Bike was perfect for my slow race pace standing up and attacking...... but as soon as I would slow down to chill and relax going slow seated... a bucking bronco. Think I've finally accomplished a good compromise for me and really stoked. Will have to add a few clicks of compression when I do the next hare scramble, but I am ok with that. Ended up taking 2.5 wt fork oil and a big airgap (low oil height) to get them plush enough for slow stuff. Very happy!

Next up was installing my head that RB Designs modified. I wanted as close to the 250X spec as we could get by slightly lowering compression, tightening the squish, and anything else that will allow me to run Pump Premium reliably. Got about 10 hrs on it now, and feel confident it was worth the $90.

Performance wise, its not massively noticeable. I'm already running the G2, retarded ignition, oem pipe, and 11oz flywheel weight. Those were very noticeable in smoothing out the motor for trail riding. Biggest gains I have experienced is the bike runs cooler and less apt to get the heat related lean condition knock/preignition on really really steep long hills. :thumbup Only experienced a minor one on a hill I had to abuse the clutch all the way. Big improvement.

Biggest gain... my spooge is now under control! :party No matter how lean (even dangerously lean) on my pilot/needle I would run, I would get a significant spooge affect running single track. Wide open like Moab or SoCal, no spooge. I had read it has a lot to do with the design of the turbine type spark arrestors such as the FMF Turbinecore II I run. Screen types dont slow the air as much, where as the turbine slows it enough to allow the oil particals to fall out and collect in the silencer. So I have read and experienced.

10 hrs of slow trail riding and as you can see, clean tip. :teeth Per RB Designs claim, the head does burn more efficiently, thoroughly, and cleanly. On my 1.45 hr loop today from Middlecreek up around past Penny Pines and back today, I only burned a gallon of gas. I am sold and will do the other head when I finish building the second motor with the wide ratio transmission too. I LOVE this YZ!

Attachments

• IMG_4062.JPG
    IMG_4062.JPG
    161.7 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_4063.JPG
    IMG_4063.JPG
    110 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
:applause Nice CJ! Gotta get out on my smoker soon!

Wow, nice tuning on the YZ, CJ.
I should try tuning some day.
If I knew how to tune, maybe I would be able to figure out what's wrong with my YZ!
I got the engine back in the frame in what I thought was just enough time for the donner event, but it's not not running right, doh!
Looks like I might have to take my CRF250X instead (if I can actually make it up there). Aurgh. The YZ is sooooo much more fun

Hit up carnegie....lost traction around an uphill left and when it came back we were headed off trail. Broke in my new Fly gear, bruised my hip something fierce....and realized I'm not 25 anymore. Successful day!!

Hit up carnegie....lost traction around an uphill left and when it came back we were headed off trail. Broke in my new Fly gear, bruised my hip something fierce....and realized I'm not 25 anymore. Successful day!!

Ouch! Don't do that!

I restitched the rear fender on the bike as I looped it at Foresthill on a gnarly hill climb and the previous stitching shredded.

Will head to Carnegie this weekend.

I got it ready to leave Rohnert Park in case our neighborhood burned. Thank goodness it did not.

I good dual sport is the ultimate get out of dodge vehicle. Traffic, not for me, I'm splitting. Roads, who needs those, I can ride over that hill.

Glad nothing got you Tom, that fire was scary. Winds woke me up around 1 or 2 in the am then I smelled smoke (in Oakland mind you). High winds and fire are a deadly combo, made me think of Rockridge..
Hard to evac a family on a DS though.

Video of the loop?

No! :-( Dammit Drew! Why wasn't your Go-Pro on?

It looked exactly like this:

16949cb23f995113bec84d6a40df06c1--play-hard-moto-tt.jpg

And yes...I did land on my feet.

Back