• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

What did you do to your dirty bike today?

Did my first shakedown ride after JPH did my forks on the 350. Night and day difference, holy shit. I wish I had done this sooner!

Put some new rubber on the rear, mountain hybrid, new grips, some rain-x for the goggles, washed some of the dirt of, cleaned the fork oil off the brakes, and then read through Tom's awesome updates! braaaaap! Oh and moonrocks w00t! Rode carnegie with Antonio and Jason yesterday watched Antonio try and fix his 2nd fouled plug, and replaces all the jets in his carb before Jason noticed his carb wasn't dumping fuel when it was laying on it's side... because he was out of FUEL! HAH!

Did my first shakedown ride after JPH did my forks on the 350. Night and day difference, holy shit. I wish I had done this sooner!

Put some new rubber on the rear, mountain hybrid, new grips, some rain-x for the goggles, washed some of the dirt of, cleaned the fork oil off the brakes, and then read through Tom's awesome updates! braaaaap! Oh and moonrocks w00t! Rode carnegie with Antonio and Jason yesterday watched Antonio try and fix his 2nd fouled plug, and replaces all the jets in his carb before Jason noticed his carb wasn't dumping fuel when it was laying on it's side... because he was out of FUEL! HAH!

:rofl

I had the RM at Carnegie the weekend before last. I was checking the jetting and just really riding it for there first time. I put about a gallon and half in it and never thought about the fuel level until this weekend, when I unscrewed the gas cap and looked in the tank. It was almost dry! That would have been hilarious. Riding by myself and running out of fuel 5 miles from the staging area, Duh! I forgot how thirsty 2Ts can be, specially when you have them on the pipe.

Oh Fred, I've found brake pads are just not the same once the get saturated with oil. I've never gotten them to perform the same even after cleaning them. It just might be time for a new set and clean the rotor with brake clean or rubbing alcohol.

Last edited:
Slapped the Lectron on the GasGas this evening, but didn’t have time to button the bike back together, adjust the throttle play, etc. I still haven’t taken the forks to JPH to replace the oil and seals, but will do that this week.

I went to work this morning to find a pile of very lightly used tires waiting for me. I told a coworker yesterday I was going to order a new rear tire for my 2 smoke and he said his brother -a racer- had a pile of lightly used tires looking for a new home. I'm going to mount the rear tire pictured in the middle tomorrow. I may have good fronts for quite some time. What I can't believe, is he thinks I did him a favor by getting them out of his garage.

I'm very fortunate to know some very generous people, I call friends!

Remind me to tell you my "slightly used tire" story this weekend.

What's up? I can post pics elsewhere on barf.
But I can't post pics on this thread. I mean the SAME........pic?
I get...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 46
Went for a ride even though the conditions suck (dry). I need to be in riding shape for Moonrocks. I haven't ridden since my ride with byke, and that's the first time since spring.

My forks started leaking, both of them. They leaked after my last ride and I "fixed" them with the Risk Racing tool. Then my right handguard came loose when a mounting bolt disappeared. I figured those were signs and turned around.

I pulled my forks and cleaned them to prep for seal replacement. I reviewed the section in the manual and DOH! I was supposed to loosen the caps while the forks were still in the clamps. Not the first time I've done that.

Cleaned the tubes and inspected for dings that would cause the leaks. I can't even find my repaired ding. I guess some mud got in there on the last ride and that was it, RIP seals.

I'm going back to neoprene covers.

Tore the forks down to the base valves. Made a mess of oil and parts cleaner, as usual.

So, back to the ride. I didn't get that far out there, but I didn't see anybody until I got near home on the way back. I took a different route and got into a sand wash. I tore it up, third gear power slides and skimming the front wheel. Until I noticed the horse tracks and ATV tracks, then I cooled down and chilled. Which was good because the sand gave way to rocks. And then I saw this guy coming my way, on my side of the trail.

[youtube]nJCs-QluAck[/youtube]

Smooth move! Not the worst possible reaction, he could have froze up and rode into me, but the second worst. Geez.

Prior to that, I had a large power to traction ratio, which happens on a tuned 250 smoker in dry conditions. I was thinking, I should get a 125, this is way too much power. Until I hit a hill, then I loved it. Too much power? No such thing!

hqdefault.jpg

On this short, technical hill climb I've done many times before, I failed. It was a perfect storm of too dry, not enough momentum, and an ugly combination of rocks in the way. The Shinko Cheater, Tubliss low pressure, and Rekluse couldn't save me. Neither could my meager trials skills. Reviewing the video, I got deflected at the bottom after turning onto this trail and lost my momentum there.

[youtube]cQvo_1N2rIw[/youtube]

Last edited:
And then I saw this guy coming my way, on my side of the trail.

Smooth move! Not the worst possible reaction, he could have froze up and rode into me, but the second worst. Geez.

lol, well he did get the bike stopped fast. Unfortunately his strategy hinged upon you also stopping quickly before t-boning him. Not sure why he didn't do his nifty little skid-turn-stop in the opposite direction, out of your path.

Last edited:
Today I fucked up the rebuild of my forks. Well, one fork.

latest

I've got a bushing stuck in an outer leg. Any idea of how to remove it? Or is it possible to assemble KYB SSS forks with the outer leg bushing already installed?

Pro tip: On infrequent work on expensive parts, watch YouTube videos that might illustrate and explain better than manuals translated from Japanese.

Putting things together I thought it wasn't right. (I last rebuilt SSS forks spring 2016.) I fired up YouTube and sure enough, it wasn't right.

Can you upload a photo? I hope you get it out!

Only way to get it out is to compress it enough to get it past the lands, right? Maybe a wrap of safety wire slipped around the outside then tensioned (twisted)? Pretty sure the bushes are coated steel, maybe a rare earth magnet to grab the inner bore that you can pull on to compress?
Assuming they are like the Showa's getting behind the bush to compress while it is in its bore is tough (without damaging the bush). Maybe a long drift the right diameter from the other end? Isn't that what you use the inner tube for when you pull them? Slide hammer action....

I can't picture exactly what it looks like, but I assume it is split. Can you get behind one end of it, at the split, with a dental pick and start to work it kind of like removing a lock ring? There is a good chance you will need to buy a new bushing.

I've got a bushing stuck in an outer leg. Any idea of how to remove it? Or is it possible to assemble KYB SSS forks with the outer leg bushing already installed?

Blind bearing puller, if you can find one the right size, or maybe a pilot bearing puller if it will go big enough. Not sure about the assembly.

Yup, I know what they look like... the problem is, you want to save it. I know much faster ways of removing it, but you'll need a new one when it's over... :teeth

Back