• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

What did you do to your dirty bike today?

I dremeled the bushing out and dressed the inevitable dremel damage.

Put the other fork together and something didn't seem right with the rebound adjuster and locknut so I watched a video. The dude didn't even care about the gap between the adjuster and locknut, he just tightened them together.

Put a neoprene seal over it to maybe help prevent leaks.

While I had the forks off I figured it was due for a steering head bearing service. They were excellent: no water ingress, no dirt, and still lightly greased. I gave em some more grease and that should last as long as a piston, unless I play Yellow Submarine like Butch.

New bushing arrives tommorrow so I'll do that fork and be ready to ride this weekend. It's raining!

Your talking about the outer bushing, right? Weird it didn't come out when you pulled the fork apart..

tumblr_ozicy2SCLN1wwv7beo1_1280.jpg

Whether your working on open cartridge or closed cartridge forks, remember to thread the jamb nut all the way down the rod before installing the cap.
If the cap's not bottomed out before you tighten the jamb nut, your rebound clickers will either be incorrect or just spin & spin...

I just finished rebuilding my shock and called around trying to find a shop in the east bay that would recharge it. Well, one place wanted 80 bucks, all the others didn't offer that service and kept referring me to super plush- going over that bridge wasn't in my plans. So, I bought all the equipment and charged it myself.
Anyone in the east bay that needs to charge a shock that has a Schrader valve bladder, gimme a holler, N/C.

Last edited:
I installed the rack and stripped a bole :cry Then I discovered I didn't strip the bolt just the Allen head :facepalm so now I'm thinking I should reinstall with a better grade of bolt :dunno

Got the mounting hardware on the 3 gallon tank.I'll hopefully most it tonight.

Your talking about the outer bushing, right? Weird it didn't come out when you pulled the fork apart..

tumblr_ozicy2SCLN1wwv7beo1_1280.jpg

Whether your working on open cartridge or closed cartridge forks, remember to thread the jamb nut all the way down the rod before installing the cap.
If the cap's not bottomed out before you tighten the jamb nut, your rebound clickers will either be incorrect or just spin & spin...

I just finished rebuilding my shock and called around trying to find a shop in the east bay that would recharge it. Well, one place wanted 80 bucks, all the others didn't offer that service and kept referring me to super plush- going over that bridge wasn't in my plans. So, I bought all the equipment and charged it myself.
Anyone in the east bay that needs to charge a shock that has a Schrader valve bladder, gimme a holler, N/C.

:thumbup Dan, I would be curious what you used for your charging set up and what you have in it $$. I've considered doing this myself. One because I have too many damn bikes, and two there isnt anyone in Lake County to do this.

Got my other fork together and adjusted and back on the bike, ready to go.

RMMCATV sent me a whole bag full of the bushings instead of just one.

:thumbup Dan, I would be curious what you used for your charging set up and what you have in it $$. I've considered doing this myself. One because I have too many damn bikes, and two there isnt anyone in Lake County to do this.

Hey CJ,
I already had the gas, so the rest of the stuff ran me about 220 bucks- went with the racetech pro shock gauge, little more expensive than others.
Besides gas, you need a regulator, 1/4" hose and a "No loss" gauge.
google shock charging kit, lots of options out there..

https://www.amazon.com/Race-Tech-Shock-Nitrogen-Universal/dp/B00D9H1XKM scroll down for package deal.

Stuff I bought...
51UJgkxLLZL._SY180_.jpg

41Y96fV3MFL._SX180_.jpg

41yBU8vRoQL._SX180_.jpg

BTW, for gas there's a airgas store in Santa Rosa.
A #20 nitrogen tank'll run ya about 33 bucks.
https://www.airgas.com/product/Gases/Industrial-Application-Gases/Nitrogen---Industrial/p/NI 20

Last edited:
I have a nitrogen set-up as well, got the reg etc from my welding supply store. Used reg etc, all brass was about $150, so another option. Already had a bottle so only pay for the gas ($20?)

Make sure you have schrader valves on hand, most of the shocks use the needle fill but once apart it is an easy switch to schrader. Easier to check/re-fill with that valve I think.

Went up and rode Hollister this morning after the rain yesterday....
Epic dirt on Lake Road, Jay Way, Petes Path and North Canyon...
a1scoot:twofinger

Went up and rode Hollister this morning after the rain yesterday....
Epic dirt on Lake Road, Jay Way, Petes Path and North Canyon...
a1scoot:twofinger

Was there too. Agreed. Dirt was nice. Felt like seniors day in the vintage lot. Including me. :laughing

Crashed my bike here and took off my helmet for a breather.

IMG_20171118_123741463-X3.jpg

Helmet ended up here.

IMG_20171118_123729779-X3.jpg

Coulda been worse.

Last edited:
Got the Lectron on the 550 pretty close, ready to take it out for a test ride for the final tune. How 'bout it LunchBox, you get your forks sent in yet?

I bought it more things :love
I swear this new Beta is like a little doll :blush

Hey CJ,
I already had the gas, so the rest of the stuff ran me about 220 bucks- went with the racetech pro shock gauge, little more expensive than others.
Besides gas, you need a regulator, 1/4" hose and a "No loss" gauge.
google shock charging kit, lots of options out there..

https://www.amazon.com/Race-Tech-Shock-Nitrogen-Universal/dp/B00D9H1XKM scroll down for package deal.

Stuff I bought...
51UJgkxLLZL._SY180_.jpg

41Y96fV3MFL._SX180_.jpg

41yBU8vRoQL._SX180_.jpg

BTW, for gas there's a airgas store in Santa Rosa.
A #20 nitrogen tank'll run ya about 33 bucks.
https://www.airgas.com/product/Gases/Industrial-Application-Gases/Nitrogen---Industrial/p/NI 20

I've always wanted to do this but just have never committed the money to it. I always thought it would be nice to bring to Stonyford or other group rides, and top off folks shocks.

I can't believe you have a KTM big bore. We should commiserate and curse Mattighofen.

I'm a 565 series snob....it was Hattinger and he designed one hell of a motor. Wish they still made 'em.

You'll have to ride it one of these days, the bike is one of my fav's, no question. So much torque then an explosive mid range; gets you moving deceptively quickly....Just weighed all my bikes and my built 550 won; 233 lbs with about a 1/2 gal of fuel.

Developed a hydro clutch mod for the 550's by using an RFS slave and welding/machining the case. Done about 10 of them, so much nicer than a cable. Put an '05 set of 48mm WP's on with some aftermarket rims (stocks were a little soft) with an '05 plastics; Ohlins rear was stock a couple of production years. Had the motor ported by Eric in Pasedena; he did Danny Hamel's motors for Baja; dyno'd at 65 rwhp so you can leave it in gear and just use the throttle. Way fun.

Rode the Vertigo today with Undertheoaks, dirt at Carnegie was excellent, found some wild new rock sections up in the hills, borrow that montessa and come check it out!

Attachments

• newright2 post.jpg
    newright2 post.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Tightened my 250's chain because I heard some rattle yesterday. Also swapped in a new air filter and cleaned the old one, which didn't need it. Tried two new gas cap vent lines; first one worked itself off.

Put another mirror on the 450 to make it fully legal.

I ride my cr yesterday at Carnegie. Beats working on it every time.
*the conditions were excellent*

Back