• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

What did you do to your dirty bike today?

Man, if that paint will make a 250 into a 1090 I think it will sell in the male enhancement market.

Nice new bike you got there...

Last edited:
Hmmm. I want that orange paint to turn my DR350 into a 265lb 6 speed highway cruising 500cc perfectly suspended e-start strong rear subframe 21/18 wheeled 6 galloned fuel injected super reliable low maintenance interval...... unicorn.

Red. Every time I either wear or ride red I get stung by bees, wasps & other flying peckerwoods.
I swore I wasn't gonna let it happen again this year, tired of swelling up like the elephant man.
So, I went out to the garage and rustled up what ever rattle cans of paint I could find and set forth on a mission to paint my little red Honda.

Here's the before pic-
tumblr_p5uvcjm9aX1wwv7beo1_1280.jpg

And the after-
tumblr_p5uv89KrB61wwv7beo1_1280.jpg

I really wanted purple, woulda been way coooool....

Must be lead based paint.

Weather this weekend sucks, so I took yesterday off instead. (It's nice having the luxury of setting your work schedule.)

Hundred or so miles of trails and gravel. Found some cool icicles and a lot of snow at higher elevations.

YaViKp2.jpg

Headed up a very steep old logging trail, which was a little much for the street gearing on this bike. Found some moss over cambered stone, which didn't go over too well :) Drug the front end downhill and rode back to the bottom before giving it another try. Made it to the first 'switchback' where the track went uphill and into the impassable rhododendron. Looks like no one had passed up that track in many tens of years.

Good day of riding, but it is becoming rapidly apparent to me that the ergonomics of the DR350 suck from the factory if you want to put yourself into any sort of attack stance. Any time you stand up, the bars (and your hands) are damned near down at your hips.

Look at this shit. Off road ergonomics...

r0w5vSE.jpg

And here's my heap.

KuyWDiN.jpg

No wonder the bike feels super awkward when you're standing up and trying to ride hard... I need to get the bars higher and way out in front of me. Going to have to see if the cables will tolerate something like the a 2" set of Rox Risers. Even then, that still might not be enough. It's just a lowly DR350, but surely I can improve that aspect of it?

Went for a ride in some hero dirt. Sofaking good! Started out in a snow flurry, came back in partially blue sky. Did some slow trials turns and short hill climbs from a dead stop. The Shinko R505 Cheater is so awesome.

Instead of editing video or posting pics I'm going to take a nice nap.

Picked up a YZ250 after longing for a two stroke for a few months. The carb was out of whack so I tore the bike down to fix it. Turns out the velocity insert for the carb was twisted and mangled and not inside the carb--rather blocking the air flow entirely. The carb was a bit gunked up with rim grease from the air filter. Cleaned it all up.

Found a motor mount had vibrated loose. Tightened it up as well. Replaced a couple bolts around the bike and put locktite on everything I touched and torqued to spec.

The bike runs super smooth now. Can't wait to get out onto the trails once my back heals up some.

See ya'll at StonyBARF.

Went for another ride. Yesterday had hero dirt, today had godlike dirt.

Pics from yesterday:

IMG_20180324_123848106-L.jpg

IMG_20180324_123933341-L.jpg

Pics from today:

IMG_20180325_130233868-XL.jpg

The Shinko is not wearing in this soil.

IMG_20180324_123958089-XL.jpg

Remember this BLM sign from last spring?

IMG_20170513_135213272-X3.jpg

Same spot, new sign. Now it's not Bureau of Land Management but Reno Sparks Indian Colony.

IMG_20180325_130201127-XL.jpg

I had to zoom in from a distance to avoid trespassing on what is now injun land.

got to test out the new piston in the YZ250. Yep, that bike rips, especially with prime dirt

Tore down my starter to prep for rebuild. Parts should arrive today or tomorrow. Also, modified the starter case to allow for it to be removed/installed without removing the cam chain tensioner.

Tore down my starter to prep for rebuild. Parts should arrive today or tomorrow. Also, modified the starter case to allow for it to be removed/installed without removing the cam chain tensioner.

When my starter died I looked into rebuilding and quickly decided it wasn't worth it. Rocky Mountain sells Neutron starters for 50 like bucks.

6a9klod.jpg

Decided I wanted something a bit different on the Dirt Bike front, XR is going back to Supermoto only duty since I have 17's for it. Plus this one has a magic button.

When my starter died I looked into rebuilding and quickly decided it wasn't worth it. Rocky Mountain sells Neutron starters for 50 like bucks.

Thanks for this. I will file it away in case I end up needing a completely new starter.

Cleaned all parts, polished the commutator, installed new springs, brushes, and o-rings. Starter reassembled and bench tested. Should go back into the bike tonight. Fingers crossed this does the trick. Sure would love to have e-start out on the trails.

Thanks for this. I will file it away in case I end up needing a completely new starter.

Cleaned all parts, polished the commutator, installed new springs, brushes, and o-rings. Starter reassembled and bench tested. Should go back into the bike tonight. Fingers crossed this does the trick. Sure would love to have e-start out on the trails.

I'm going to miss E-Start on my "new-to-me" bike.

I'm going to miss E-Start on my "new-to-me" bike.

You, the first time you are stuck sideways in some gnarly canyon and can only reach the ground with your right foot while trying not to slide back down the rocks you just stalled trying to get up:

jws31z5.jpg

Back