• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

What did you do to your dirty bike today?

Started and rode the DRZ400s in preparation for BAJA 2019! (yes, I plan on making this one.) Hasn’t been ridden since last April at stonyford. Started right up with no problems. Idle might be a tad bit high but I had problems before with it shutting off when free wheeling. Need more rides to know what I want to do.

I pinched the clutch cable on the 250x so I replaced that. Routed it correctly this time so I won’t have that problem anymore. I’m ready for Stonyford. :ride

Does anyone lubricate their cables? I’ve bought every gadget and nothing seems to work. I doubt it matters but I try anyways.

New oem cables are the only way to go. Motion pro and the like are never as smooth and are more sensitive to bend radius. Lubing is a very short term bandaid, imo.

I got the 450r really muddy at today’s MMX Hare Scramble. Such an awesome time too!!!

Nice! Did you make it on one tank?

I went in after 4 laps as the bike felt light and I had used 3/4 of the tank. Filled up and headed out for 5 more laps.

I’ll get a larger (2.7 gal) tank so I can confidently just keep riding.

MMX HS track was really loose and I used more fuel than I thought I would but it was soooo much fun!!!

Last edited:
...Does anyone lubricate their cables? I’ve bought every gadget and nothing seems to work. I doubt it matters but I try anyways.

for sure I lube my cables. I haven't found one of those auto-lube clamp things that work, so I spray my cable lube into a small tub, then pour it into the (detached) cable end a few drops every few minutes while I do other maintenance. That's what works for me :thumbup

I always had pretty good luck with those little clamp on cable lubers... spray in the end at the bars until it comes out the other end then wipe away all the extra. Of course I haven't had a bike with cables (other than throttle) for a while now.

Every time I try to use a clamp-on cable lubers, all it does is shoot lube every where but inside the cable.

Motion Pro has a new version with a totally new design, that looks like it seals better, but I haven't tried it yet. https://www.motionpro.com/product/08-0609

I have used mine for years, can't remember who makes it, but it works great.

I've had good luck with a small dropper and thin oil. I actually use Lucas Oil's gun lube.

--ontopic: yanked the front end off getting ready for this weekend at Hollister.

Installed some of these. Way cheaper than Honda OEM.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/726/22204/Tusk-Rubber-Valve-Support-Seal

tus_09_rub_val_sup_sea.jpg

And I re-glued a grip with a special Yamabond (7?) that seems suspiciously like Renthal grip glue.

Started installing my rally guards. Ran into an issue with one bracket. Back to Cycle Gear tomorrow to see if they can solve the issue.

My kid installed new bars on his bike. Old bars were bent. Another issue with rally guards, so need to look for some parts for his bike tomorrow as well.

Last edited:
Completed the install of rally guards on both bikes. Time to do some riding. Then work on an e-start issue on my 450X

Found my shifter that snapped off the retaining bolt. Shift splines are not salvageable and the bolt that snapped inside the mechanism is not extractable. Ordering new parts today.

Reapplied stain to trailer so the wood would last another season. Moved the wheel chock over so I can fit another bike or gear next to mine. Need to modify some extra anchors but will await for trailer to dry.

Loving the dirty world. It has been time and time again better than street riding. Safer (usually), more exciting, less legal worries, and a solid group of good people who regularly go riding.

Last edited:
Found my shifter that snapped off the retaining bolt. Shift splines are not salvageable and the bolt that snapped inside the mechanism is not extractable. Ordering new parts today.

The bolt that holds the shift lever on KTMs is notorious for giving owners trouble. I have also had my shift lever fall off on the trail. Although mine didn't break, just rattled loose. I check mine often now; like, put a wrench on it every time I wash the bike.

Replace everything that rides on the shaft while you are in there; seal, bearing, return spring, etc.

The bolt that holds the shift lever on KTMs is notorious for giving owners trouble. I have also had my shift lever fall off on the trail. Although mine didn't break, just rattled loose. I check mine often now; like, put a wrench on it every time I wash the bike.

Replace everything that rides on the shaft while you are in there; seal, bearing, return spring, etc.

I won’t have access to that as I’m not splitting the case. I can replace the shaft by removing clutch cover and clutch basket. Then it pops out real easy. I will be replacing the seal as I damaged it when messing around with a drill/tap trying to get the bolt out.

Mine came loose prior. Need to use red lock tite it seems for best results. I check it often too. It scratched my stator case when it came loose on the trail without me realizing.

Parts will be here Wednesday. Getting ready for ride next weekend.

Can someone 'splain KTM's reasons for the shifter connection? It seems a complicated spline to make.
Is it a "can't do it like the Japanese" thing?

Back