• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

What did you do to your dirty bike today?

You, the first time you are stuck sideways in some gnarly canyon and can only reach the ground with your right foot while trying not to slide back down the rocks you just stalled trying to get up:

"I made a huge mistake"

Oh my, I know! Exhausted, sitting in the hot sun. Bike is flooded as I just tipped it over. Loose as shit, rocky, and steep. :mad

Good thing I have the legs of a giraffe! I'll have to learn how to hop off, kick with my left leg, then swing a leg back over without losing my position.

If it happens often...maybe I'll pop in a rekluse :ride

Oh my, I know! Exhausted, sitting in the hot sun. Bike is flooded as I just tipped it over. Loose as shit, rocky, and steep. :mad

Good thing I have the legs of a giraffe! I'll have to learn how to hop off, kick with my left leg, then swing a leg back over without losing my position.

If it happens often...maybe I'll pop in a rekluse :ride

Your non e-start bike is a smoker yes?
Flooding from a tip over shouldn't be a problem. :thumbup

Your non e-start bike is a smoker yes?
Flooding from a tip over shouldn't be a problem. :thumbup

YAY! That's good news. I have yet to get to ride it.... :mad

First ride will be at StonyBARF. Looking forward to it!

Going to load bikes on trailer today to see how I will mount the second bike on the trailer. I'd like to figure out a way to fit a cooler or some supplies between the bikes as it'll free up some weight from the car/trunk.

If it happens often...maybe I'll pop in a rekluse learn how to ride better :ride

:teeth

You, the first time you are stuck sideways in some gnarly canyon and can only reach the ground with your right foot while trying not to slide back down the rocks you just stalled trying to get up:

jws31z5.jpg

:rofl Real men kick their bike, mix their gas, and dont need a laptop to jet their bike. :twofinger

There is going to be strong contingent of new smoker owners at Stonybarf this year. The two stroke revolution grows!

Last edited:
:rofl Real men kick their bike, mix their gas, and dont need a laptop to jet their bike. :twofinger

There is going to be strong contingent of new smoker owners at Stonybarf this year. The two stroke revolution grows!

67349534.jpg

I saw the light when I felt the zero engine braking and the ease of changing direction. Reminded of the good ol' days of mountain biking!

Last edited:
67349534.jpg

I saw the light when I felt the zero engine braking and the ease of changing direction. Reminded of the good ol' days of mountain biking!

I remember Leo's words after he rode my bike at Penny Pines. "This is like cheating." And his two stroke YZ250 project started immediately there after. :laughing

Learn to use the left lever and there wont be a need for a rekluse on a twostroke. :thumbup

I remember Leo's words after he rode my bike at Penny Pines. "This is like cheating." And his two stroke YZ250 project started immediately there after. :laughing

Learn to use the left lever and there wont be a need for a rekluse on a twostroke. :thumbup

I was kidding about the rekluse. I am pretty good at slipping the clutch as I rode the 4t like a 2t. I will have to re-learn how to use the clutch on the zippier bike but I should pick it up quick! I am excited! Back is still eff'd though so hoping things are mostly resolved by then!

Aaron, you have that buttery smooth ability that I am still trying to figure out. I can point and shoot but still need to work on the cornering and smoothing things outs.

I can feel the disdain for the electric start in your words, but see the jealousy on your face on the trails :twofinger

p.s. I hope I don’t regret the trash talk and make it up the stupid ride hill.

Last edited:
Me on e-start WR450F: Hey it's nice this thing has e-start and re-starts so easily.

Me on kick-start YZ250: Hey it's nice this thing is a 2 stroke and never stalls.

Top end time. This piston has 158.5 hours on it. Looks pretty good, in my inexperienced opinion. Not much carbon build up on the crown and there is still some teflon coating left. Experts, weigh in.

CtupzNh.jpg

iI5Dmza.jpg

I agree, that piston looks pretty good for that number of hours. Depending on the bike and how it's ridden, lots of guys on KTMtalk change the 300 piston around 150 hrs.
Looks like a small blow by on the rings near the exhaust and some small marks along the ring land (lower ring) at the exhaust. I normally like to see a little more carbon on it (running a little rich) but you're riding at altitude so that may be the reason. Jetting looks to be good with that pattern, slap a new one in and go riding!
I've had good success using a pass or two with hone stones re-creating a light hatch to help the new rings seat; have also got that hatch from 400 grit by hand. Just enough to see a scratch pattern in glancing light does it.

Nice job Wiles! Looks like you're in good shape! We were just talking about when to do top ends on the 300. I think this confirms that even ridden hard in a variety of conditions that you can drive these things for a long time.

I imagine you checked your bottom end when you fixed those seals? The way you ride I bet your bike will last you for quite some time!

I imagine you checked your bottom end when you fixed those seals? The way you ride I bet your bike will last you for quite some time!

When I replaced the wet side crank seal at 400.9 hours I detected zero play in the right side main bearing. Now that I have the piston off I also can't feel any play in the big end rod bearing. This motor now has 464.1 hours on it and I feel pretty good about it.

That's an insane amount of hours!

Have you done any other bottom end work in the past? Sounds like you found the winning ticket of a bike!

I testedthe TM for when the Alta runs out of electons at StonyBARF next week.
Tommorrow afternoon, Metcalf prolly...

Starter is in the 450X. But seems I have the common issue of the starter gear reduction slipping. I'll look into it after StonyBARF. Just gonna deal with kick start for now.

CRF 150F: New dust cover on front fork. New front tire and tube.

Back