• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

What did you do to your dirty bike today?

Can someone 'splain KTM's reasons for the shifter connection? It seems a complicated spline to make.
Is it a "can't do it like the Japanese" thing?

:rofl sometimes the truth hurts!

I went down and completed some minor repairs this afternoon on the XR400R after Baja. Had a broken crimp connector on a ground wire. Other than a cracked aftermarket Polisport front fender, that was all it needed after nearly a 1000 miles in Baja this year. :twofinger Oh, and it started after sitting since Baja with only two kicks. :party Not bad for a 20 yr old dirt bike. Its ready for the Sheet Iron!

Wait are you sure it doesn't need a top end? Sounded like low compression to me. :twofinger

It rained lightly all day yesterday which meant today would be nice for riding. But it was foggy in the morning and I watched the Warriors instead of riding. Finally left for a short ride at 3 PM. Should have gone for an all day ride!

Hero dirt. Cool weather but not cold. YZ250 ran fantastic after a little air screw adjustment. The nice weather brought out a lot of shooters and I felt paranoid riding around. Instead of riding to the rocky canyon I should have ridden to the tight single track; less shooters in that area.

You ever see trials riders riding up steep rock faces and they have their bellies against their bars and their chests over their front fenders? I should have done that. Loop video incoming.

I do feel pretty good about jumping a small wash from a downhill. It was deeper than my front wheel and wide enough that the rear wheel would likely not clear it. It actually took a little technique, compressing the front and then gassing it at the right time.

Ride highlights:
[youtube]RpdSrQgKUc4[/youtube]
Stupid tricks start at 3:00. When you can read the, "But did you die?" sticker on your front number plate, it's not a good thing. Maybe I should have put it on upside-down.

Rocky canyon:
[youtube]246ZIge1F7E[/youtube]
I need to take my trials bike up and down that.

Oh by the way, packing the silencer extremely lightly makes no difference in sound compared to densely packed or moderately packed. (FMF Q)

I just helped my bikes have a place to run by posting this on the Metcalf BookFace page:

California State Parks
OHMVR Division Grants Public Comments Period
http://ohv.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=1164

The public review and comment period for the 2017/18 Grants and Cooperative Agreements Program ends at on Monday, April 2, 2018. This provides an opportunity for the public to review and provide comments to the applications submitted to the Off-Highway Motor Vehicle Recreation (OHMVR) Division for consideration during the 2017/18 grant cycle.

How:

1. Go here http://olga.ohv.parks.ca.gov/egrams_ohmvr/user/ReviewProjects.aspx
4. Click on the three dot icon in the middle of the page, line two in the box after agency
5. Enter the agency name, "Santa Clara County" and click on the “Lookup” button
6. Click on the box on the left hand side of the “record” that came up
7. Click on the file card icon on the right hand side under "Public Comments" (you are chosing which the grant application to comment on, some agencies have many)
8. Enter your name, your email and your comment; maybe "Metcalf is so great for my faamily! Please grant their grants as requested!"
9. Click on the “Send Email” button

Last edited:
I just helped my bikes have a place to run by posting this on the Metcalf BookFace page:

California State Parks
OHMVR Division Grants Public Comments Period
http://ohv.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=1164

The public review and comment period for the 2017/18 Grants and Cooperative Agreements Program ends at on Monday, April 2, 2018. This provides an opportunity for the public to review and provide comments to the applications submitted to the Off-Highway Motor Vehicle Recreation (OHMVR) Division for consideration during the 2017/18 grant cycle.

How:

1. Go here http://olga.ohv.parks.ca.gov/egrams_ohmvr/user/ReviewProjects.aspx
4. Click on the three dot icon in the middle of the page, line two in the box after agency
5. Enter the agency name, "Santa Clara County" and click on the “Lookup” button
6. Click on the box on the left hand side of the “record” that came up
7. Click on the file card icon on the right hand side to chose the grant application to comment
8. Enter your name, your email and your comment; maybe "Metcalf is so great for my faamily! Please grant their grants as requested!"
9. Click on the “Send Email” button

I only see 4 options; none that are "grant application" only general application requirements.

I am assuming that this is what you were referring to. Submitted! :thumbup

I only see 4 options; none that are "grant application" only general application requirements.

I am assuming that this is what you were referring to. Submitted! :thumbup

Metcalf has four (4) grant applications, General Application Requirements, Ground Operations, Law Enforcement and Education & Safety.

You can comment all four. I will try to make it more clear...

Big day in the garage with the old DR350.

Removed the supermoto wheelset... Changed the front tire back over to dual sport rubber, and swapped the 4 pot Tokico back to ye olde 2 pot Nissin caliper. Pulled the BT45 off of the cush hub rear wheel, and replaced all of the wheel bearings and seals. Changed over to a 41T rear sprocket, and removed two links from the chain to compensate. Threw on a Shinko 244 rear, and got it reinstalled back on the bike..

Remove the giant boat anchor front stock front fender, which catches all sorts of bad wind at highway speeds. Replaced it with a YZ450F fender.

Lastly, removed the 1157 bulb from the rear, and changed over to a nice Sylvania ZEVO 2357R LED bulb, which draws a fraction of the power of the incandescent, and is actually brighter, too. Soldered a few additional 'jumper wires' from the bulb to the socket itself, as I've been having trouble with the connection back there wiggling and making my rear lights flicker.

Tomorrow, I'm off for some dual sport riding in western NC. Weather should be hovering in the low 60s all day.

This weekend, an Acerbis 5.8 gallon tank arrives, as well as new rubbers for the cush drive. Don't need 'em just yet, but figured they'd go NLA at some point.

Last edited:
Metcalf has four (4) grant applications, General Application Requirements, Ground Operations, Law Enforcement and Education & Safety.

You can comment all four. I will try to make it more clear...

Email submitted on all 4 items.

Skipped the rat race yesterday and got out to western NC - partly sunny in the upper 50s at elevation. Nice day to ride, for sure. Lots of forest service roads out here that can run for hours without seeing another person. Did some of those, as well as their offshoots and little spurs. Those side trails are impassable for most vehicles, but I am narrow, and have long travel suspension :ride

This ridge trail ran for a few miles - no doubt not used for decades - and had a handful of fallen trees that made for good practice, along with a couple of good hill climbs. Even being the lighter dirt model DR (285lbs?), it's kind of a pig in stuff like this. Oh well - life is full of compromise. It has a decent fully adjustable suspension, 6 speed trans, and most importantly --> a license plate. I can't complain.

5sUfgy2.jpg

FedEx just brought me a present...

F4t4cXbl.jpg

5.8 gallons should be enough for almost any destination in the USA. Even riding fairly ham fisted, the DR still managed to pull in over 50mpg with the pumper carb.

Now I just need to do something about that seat... I've heard Seat Concepts makes good stuff.

Started digging into the e-start issue on my CRF 450X.

Battery is good. It even started my cold Aprilia RSV. Charging system is good and starting system is good. Removed starter and pulled apart. Brushes are out of spec, commutator is a bit corroded.
Could smell the burn when I cracked the housing.

New brushes springs and o-rings are on order. Need to pick up some contact cleaner and do a bit more research on cleaning the commutator surface.

Then the rebuild can commence. Looking forward to not needing to kick start.

Rode a few sessions at Argyll this morning and it was a sloppy mess out there. Lots of fun though!

Attachments

• AF354BBE-50D6-4CE8-BE8D-CA28B477D752.jpg
    AF354BBE-50D6-4CE8-BE8D-CA28B477D752.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 43
Red. Every time I either wear or ride red I get stung by bees, wasps & other flying peckerwoods.
I swore I wasn't gonna let it happen again this year, tired of swelling up like the elephant man.
So, I went out to the garage and rustled up what ever rattle cans of paint I could find and set forth on a mission to paint my little red Honda.

Here's the before pic-
tumblr_p5uvcjm9aX1wwv7beo1_1280.jpg

And the after-
tumblr_p5uv89KrB61wwv7beo1_1280.jpg

I really wanted purple, woulda been way coooool....

Where can I buy some of that magic paint? Do you have any left? I will pay well.

Course, it might only work on red bikes.
Nevermind.

Well I don’t want my red bike turning orange but I think Daniel used some of that on his old XR400 :dunno

I washed off 30 pounds of mud and straw. That would be adobe. You can build houses outta this stuff.

Attachments

• CFCCDB0B-AF82-433C-9EEE-AA9A57A1C10D.jpeg
    CFCCDB0B-AF82-433C-9EEE-AA9A57A1C10D.jpeg
    233.1 KB · Views: 64
Back