• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

What did you do to your dirty bike today?

Installed a 44T sprocket & Dunlop D606 on my spare wheel... Quickly put on the 13T up front - sprockets are easily changed with the DR's little snap ring clip. D606 isn't as aggressive as I want, but it's just lying around in the garage doing nothing, and I figured I might as well burn it off.

More OEM parts arrive today... Fork oil along with slide & guide bushings, and an oil seal for the clutch shaft/rod, which has been leaking on the last ride or two.

I cross posted this in another general thread.

FYI, eBay has another 15% off sale (max $50) if you use their phone app to complete the purchase. Coupon code is PLAN2SAVE.

Just scored a rear 18" Tubliss system for $73 shipped.

So, you'll be all ready for the VCGP then?

Man, it's so crazy how fast the top pros can come back from injury. Pedrosa just had the exact same operation I did, open reduction of the right distal radius with internal fixation. He raced MotoGP 14 days later. I'm 10 days in and I can barely move my fingers. The care they get to make that possible must be amazing. Also, a multi million euro contract is probably pretty good motivation to push through the pain.

How long were you out with yours?

I think we have the exact same injury/surgery. I also broke a piece of bone off the ulnar side, but they didn't care, the hardware was for the radius. Like your xray, there was no obviously-discernible-to-the-layman fracture.

My doc is all about mobility and I was doing mild P.T. within a few weeks. Really couldn't do much but wiggle fingers for a week or two after surgery. Broke it mid February and rode my XR100 May 9. I can't imagine braking a roadrace bike on the track within a couple weeks.

BTW, don't shoot any guns. Ouch.

I think we have the exact same injury/surgery. I also broke a piece of bone off the ulnar side, but they didn't care, the hardware was for the radius. Like your xray, there was no obviously-discernible-to-the-layman fracture.

Same. It's like the only function of that little nubbin on the ulna is to break off. Poor design.

Had been hearing a clunk at the front end, and figured my forks could use some servicing...

Pulled the front end apart.. Forks removed, and one of them disassembled and ready for new bushings. Fabbed up a little seal driver, too.

Bushings were in better shape than I expected, and oil wasn't that bad... Either somebody had been into this thing before, or else the mileage was lower than I thought.. so now I'm sort of curious where that clunk on sharp edges might be coming from.

Will double check steering steam bearings, and proceed with the rebuild tomorrow. Get the front tire changed back over to my spare MX51, too. Once that is burned off along with the rear, I'll try out the Shinko F546 / R505 combo that all the cool kids have been talking about, along with TUbliss in the rear.

Going to try to sneak off on Wednesday for a ride at our local OHV.

Shook out the lowering link and put on a taller seat. I can almost bend my knee enough to get it on the peg. No attached tendons in that knee so don’t anticipate breaking any leg bones lol the brace articulates but it’s kind of weird relying on an external device as opposed to my regular joint.

Last edited:
I bought one of these . . .
hot plate.JPG

. . . to do this . . . .
cooking.JPG

. . .to change out these . . .
bearing.JPG

works on most wheels & center cases. :thumbup

Nice Eric. Did that 2011 need new wheel bearing?! Musta' been sitting, I've got a couple of hundred hours on my Vertigo and needed to change the fronts only a month or two ago.

Maybe ride next weekend!

Nice Eric. Did that 2011 need new wheel bearing?! Musta' been sitting, I've got a couple of hundred hours on my Vertigo and needed to change the fronts only a month or two ago.

Maybe ride next weekend!

Yes, that was the 2011.
There is no seal outboard of the bearings, as most motos have, so perhaps they are more susceptible to water.

Riding next weekend will be tough. Following weekend, yes.

I charged the battery I haven't rode it in so long it was low on voltage :(

For bearings I just use my harbor freight press ;) That or I freeze the bearing and heat the hub with a heat gun

Tore apart the other fork leg today.. Bushings were in great shape, but the top of the cartridge rod wasn't screwed into the top of the fork cap! Strange, and might explain the tapping that was happening?

The bushings in both fork legs were actually in like new shape, along with the seals... and the oil actually looked decent. I'm guessing somebody went into these to replace those parts, but may just have not tightened things up somewhere along the line. Reinstalled what I had, and will keep my bushings and seals for another time when I rebuild the rebound and compression shim stacks.

Putting it all together tomorrow, and going for a ride on Thursday. Should be sunny and right around 75F.

Dumped the chain in kerosene and cleaned it really well. Blew it out with some compressed air and proceeded to lube it up with 80-90w oil. Got it back on the bike finally.

Got the carb set up with new hoses after a skinny dip into an ultrasonic cleaner with some Yamalube carb dip for several hours. Running better than it was before thankfully.

Installed new fork seals. The others were full of lithium grease. What a nightmare...how someone F'd that up is beyond me. I also put in fresh fluid...the old fluid was grayer than pavement and a bit sludgy. Bushings were in good shape though. Put in some 215.vm2.K5 fluid....we'll see if it is all that it is cracked up to be. Confirmed they did the free piston mod on the YZ SSS forks. Added extra fluid to compensate. We'll see if I can get it dialed in.

Considering going to Stony this weekend to stay Saturday night and ride all day Sunday. Thinking Cedar camp if I still have the rental.

Slowly getting this bike back to spec and hopefully will enjoy some time on it before it gets put away for a few weeks.

Back