• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

What did you do to your dirty bike today?

Put in some 215.vm2.K5 fluid....we'll see if it is all that it is cracked up to be. Confirmed they did the free piston mod on the YZ SSS forks. Added extra fluid to compensate. We'll see if I can get it dialed in.

Considering going to Stony this weekend to stay Saturday night and ride all day Sunday. Thinking Cedar camp if I still have the rental.

Slowly getting this bike back to spec and hopefully will enjoy some time on it before it gets put away for a few weeks.

I used to use that fluid in YZ forks until a year or two ago. Just threw away a bottle and half of it. Not because it was bad or I didnt like it, just too expensive and I was simplifying. Use Belray of varying viscosities in all my bikes now. Easier to stock one brand in the garage than many for me. I honestly couldnt tell a significant difference.

I am hoping to be back up north Saturday night if you want to ride Sunday closer to me like Middle Creek or Cow. The Mendo Rally is happening this weekend at Lake Pilsbury, I might do a big dual sport loop up there Sunday. Or if you were around, some two smokin on single track.

Does anyone here have a XR650R? I bought one on the cheap a while back. It ran fine once started but was a bitch to kick over, re jetted it and now it starts first kick but runs like shit and the idle hangs. Think its running rich. At this point I dont have time to F with the carb anymore, anyone know a reputable place I could bring it to to have them rebuild it?

I used to use that fluid in YZ forks until a year or two ago. Just threw away a bottle and half of it. Not because it was bad or I didnt like it, just too expensive and I was simplifying. Use Belray of varying viscosities in all my bikes now. Easier to stock one brand in the garage than many for me. I honestly couldnt tell a significant difference.

I am hoping to be back up north Saturday night if you want to ride Sunday closer to me like Middle Creek or Cow. The Mendo Rally is happening this weekend at Lake Pilsbury, I might do a big dual sport loop up there Sunday. Or if you were around, some two smokin on single track.

Ya, it was pricey relatively. Like $45 for the oil change. Not really all that more than the Motul. It was in the bike previously supposedly and I like the way the forks responded so I figured I'd attempt to keep variables down as I get the suspension set up to my liking.

I'm considering camping at Cedar Camp Saturday night and riding Sunday. Haven't solidified these plans yet. Still up in the air. :)

Does anyone here have a XR650R? I bought one on the cheap a while back. It ran fine once started but was a bitch to kick over, re jetted it and now it starts first kick but runs like shit and the idle hangs. Think its running rich. At this point I dont have time to F with the carb anymore, anyone know a reputable place I could bring it to to have them rebuild it?

Scott Dunlavey at Berkeley Honda is the xr650r man in the east bay.

I have 2, first step in addressing any issues with the way a Pig runs is to adjust the valves. It has an auto decomp system, so following the factory procedure is critical.

Hanging idle is usually due to a lean condition. Since the intake valves are the most common ones to go out of spec, and they tend to tighten up not get loose, they can affect the way the carb behaves.

What jets are you running?

Does it still have the California (Restricted) intake manifold? The California model is tapered down to the shape of a long oval inside, the non-cal is strait thru.
California model...
post-396987-0-47141200-1398569862.jpg

There is a vacuum hole on the engine side of the carb, is that blocked off?
What jetting are you using?

Its uncorked, I replaced that myself.

As for jetting I am running 68s for the Pilot and 172 for the Main.

I have 2, first step in addressing any issues with the way a Pig runs is to adjust the valves. It has an auto decomp system, so following the factory procedure is critical.

Hanging idle is usually due to a lean condition. Since the intake valves are the most common ones to go out of spec, and they tend to tighten up not get loose, they can affect the way the carb behaves.

What jets are you running?

Yeah if its vales Im just going to bring it in. I could probably do it, but I really dont want to brick it if I screw something up. In the past I would have done it myself but now that I have money I would rather just pay someone else to do it while I actually do something im good at, like spray weeds, or eat.

Last edited:
I think I’m running 65s and 175 main with the b53e needle with the clip in the middle position according to my notes. Uncorked, stock exhaust with HRC tip. Jetting recommendation came from Scott D. Mine starts super easy.

How old is your fuel? Mine doesn’t like old fuel but a quick blast of compressed air through the idle circuit and I’m normally good to go. Jetting/carb work is pretty easy to do without removing the carb. Good luck!

I think I’m running 65s and 175 main with the b53e needle with the clip in the middle position according to my notes. Uncorked, stock exhaust with HRC tip. Jetting recommendation came from Scott D. Mine starts super easy.

How old is your fuel? Mine doesn’t like old fuel but a quick blast of compressed air through the idle circuit and I’m normally good to go. Jetting/carb work is pretty easy to do without removing the carb. Good luck!

Its brand new, it was the first thing I replaced, drained the tank and got fresh gas.

Yeah if its vales Im just going to bring it in. I could probably do it, but I really dont want to brick it if I screw something up. In the past I would have done it myself but now that I have money I would rather just pay someone else to do it while I actually do something im good at, like spray weeds, or eat.

I find myself picking and choosing what to do on my cars lately, too.:laughing

Your jetting should be in the ballpark, but there are several different levels of "uncorkage", so checking it after the valves are adjusted wouldn't be a bad idea. I run the stock tip on my plated pig and I have the HRC tip on the desert runner, the offroader likes the jetting a bit fatter than the plated one. Make sure you clean the air filter before checking, I've seen a few folks that forget this. A little wheel bearing grease or Vaseline around the edge of the filter helps seal it to the housing and keeps the dust from getting in around the edges, too. :thumbup

I find myself picking and choosing what to do on my cars lately, too.:laughing

Your jetting should be in the ballpark, but there are several different levels of "uncorkage", so checking it after the valves are adjusted wouldn't be a bad idea. I run the stock tip on my plated pig and I have the HRC tip on the desert runner, the offroader likes the jetting a bit fatter than the plated one. Make sure you clean the air filter before checking, I've seen a few folks that forget this. A little wheel bearing grease or Vaseline around the edge of the filter helps seal it to the housing and keeps the dust from getting in around the edges, too. :thumbup

There was a time when I did everything on my cars, engines, transmissions whatever. Now Im fretting about running new lines for e85 on my Cobra.

This is just going to be for the street/sumo use. I have a set of 17's for it and its plated. Just want to get it running right and not have to touch it again.

Went to the local OHV today. Did something stupid. Does this look right to you all? :laughing

E3W22HKl.jpg

Going up a rock face led to a bout of whiskey throttle. Guess changing to 13/44 sprockets made it a little more touchy...

Here is a really steep and long descent. As always, pictures don't do it justice.. Maybe 40-45 degrees? So sketchy I damned near turned around... But.. I walked all the way down, decided on a line, and went with it. Look close and you'll see my tiny DR at the top.

MFWgm5yl.jpg

Tried to climb this, and threw myself into the woods causing my bike's face to get punched sideways. Ugh - more shit to fix. The first bottom edge is something like a 4-5 ft. wall.. and after that, you get about one bike length before you hit another steep section, and then the same thing over again. Tricky section. Maybe next time...

z96GZOLl.jpg

Unfortunately, I also smashed my front brake line at the crimp when the whole front of my bike was smashed in.

Is this going to fail at some point?

ifJETQel.jpg

I can flex it now, and I certainly couldn't before.

eAqqKlFl.jpg

Rocks. Turns really nasty right around the corner... Almost entirely bowling ball sized stuff, and all the way up the hill.

zN8xLrQl.jpg

Eventually up at the top...

iboCDxr.jpg

And back at the bottom. Empty. That's a Thursday for you.. On my way out around 4pm, probably 4-5 trucks with bikes passed me heading in for some post-work fun. I'd had my fun though, and drove the hour and 15 minutes back home.

MbxQ4iy.jpg

DR performed like a trooper. Rebuilt forks are silent and working well.

But it's still fat. Probably 300lbs. I can't even imagine what it would be like riding something modern that was 70lbs lighter.

Last edited:
Valve adjustments need to be done periodically on these. The intakes will tighten up over time.

Yeah I meant more the jetting, Periodic maintenance is just a given. Considering this will be street ridden what the usual time between adjustments?

Well the little Ninja is up for sale soon..

Wondering if I should take the proceeds and buy something like a KDX.

Thoughts? Good step up from the DR? I'd like to take the off road stuff a little more seriously.

Well the little Ninja is up for sale soon..

Wondering if I should take the proceeds and buy something like a KDX.

Thoughts? Good step up from the DR? I'd like to take the off road stuff a little more seriously.

What about a DRZ 400 S or E. E would be better if it doesnt need to be street legal. A WR 250 R would be in about the same category if you need a street legal small dual sport.

I have had two DRZ400SM's which is basically an S with USD forks and 17's and they are dead simple to work on, the aftermarket for them is massive and parts are dirt cheap. The can make decent power With just a 3x3 full exhaust and a Rejet as well.

What about a DRZ 400 S or E. E would be better if it doesnt need to be street legal. A WR 250 R would be in about the same category if you need a street legal small dual sport.

I have had two DRZ400SM's which is basically an S with USD forks and 17's and they are dead simple to work on, the aftermarket for them is massive and parts are dirt cheap. The can make decent power With just a 3x3 full exhaust and a Rejet as well.

I've already got the late model DR350 (plated dirt model) with the fully adjustable front/rear suspension. For general dual sporting, it's (IMO) comparable to the DRZ and WRR. I also already fabbed up a 17" front from a GS500, allowing use of modern radials... Threw on an 18" BT45 out back, and it was good enough to drag a whole lot of knee at the kart track, which is good enough for me considering the modest investment.

IMO, both of those (WRR and DRZ) are still somewhat heavy for dirt, and worse than the DR350 I have. Because my DR350 is a dirt model, it weighs in at roughly 285lbs wet... Both the DRZ and WRR are still heavier than that. For the extra money I'd have to pay for either of those, I'm not convinced that extra cash would yield a totally different experience from what I already have... you know?

For under 2k, I'm not sure I could do better than a KDX. (I'd keep the DR350 for SuMo & dual sporting.) If I *could* do better, I'm certainly open to suggestions.

You can't go wrong with a KDX. Nimble, reliable, cheap to own. Ive had one for 16 years, and its still fun to ride.
Well done on those hills you posted pics of, btw.

Back