• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

What did you do to your dirty bike today?

Yeah I meant more the jetting, Periodic maintenance is just a given. Considering this will be street ridden what the usual time between adjustments?

Depends on how you ride on the street... :teeth

I change the oil every 1500 miles on the one with plates, and checked the valves when I did the first oil change (they were fine). Then I checked them at the second oil change, and the clearance hadn't changed so I waited until the 4th oil change, still good. I had to adjust them at the 5th oil change, but they were barely on the tight side. At #7 they were fine, and I just did #8 and they were still good to go.

They will stay static for a while, then they will gradually start to get tighter at some point. As they wear, the time it takes them to get tighter gets shorter, and when you're adjusting them every oil change, you know it's time to stock up on parts for the top end.

The manual calls for oil changes and valve inspections every 600 miles for non-competiton use, and as-needed for competition use.

Last edited:
Well the little Ninja is up for sale soon..

Wondering if I should take the proceeds and buy something like a KDX.

Thoughts? Good step up from the DR? I'd like to take the off road stuff a little more seriously.

Really really tough to beat a KDX200/220 for offroad and woods riding on a budget. Unless you happen upon a decent KTM 200 XCW for a good price. 99+ YZ250's can make great offroad bikes too, but will require some significant mods and tuning to get where the KDX or KTW XCW is out of the box. Which brings us back to the KDX. For the money, one of the best offroad bikes you can buy. :thumbup

Put a few hours and a few miles on my 450 on a ride with other plated 4 strokes. Nice weather, flowers, butterflies.

[YOUTUBE]Kq7ZYnK-BLk[/YOUTUBE]

My son and I spent Sat at Holister doing the MSF dirt bike class. Putting 8 miles in on the range has indeed helped him with clutch control. Always good to do drills and learn proper technique. Was a good day. Enjoyed our instructors and their teachings.

My son and I spent Sat at Holister doing the MSF dirt bike class. Putting 8 miles in on the range has indeed helped him with clutch control. Always good to do drills and learn proper technique. Was a good day. Enjoyed our instructors and their teachings.

That is like free with HHORA membership, correct? And they can provide motos I think. I wish more folks would take minute ride brfore Eric ran out of battery. 32 miles. I still had a quarter charge left.

That is like free with HHORA membership, correct? And they can provide motos I think. I wish more folks would take minute ride brfore Eric ran out of battery. 32 miles. I still had a quarter charge left.

Yes, free with HHORA membership. Yes, they have loaner bikes and some equipment if needed. All of this is worked out upon registration. We used our own bikes and gear, but the others in the class were on loaner bikes and some were using loaner gear to some extent. The bikes I saw on Saturday were all Hondas, CRF 150Fs and CRF 230Fs.

Membership was $25 for a one year family membership. Family membership covered both of us. Quite the deal with normal price being listed at $300 per student.

Who were those guys, dust devils?
Yeah Dust Devils and hangers-on. Husaberg rider is a guy from work. KTM guy was painfully bad on downhills.

That was good exercise for clutch control. I also showed off my trials skills with slow full-lock turns and crashed twice doing it. Didn't launch the bike into anybody's truck, though. WR450F steering lock and low power sucks ass compared to Gas Gas trials bike.

Anyone in the east bay have the Jig to change tires? My WR is due for a new one. I can pay in beer and pennies, may also offer quarters and cheese if you sweet talk me.

Anyone in the east bay have the Jig to change tires? My WR is due for a new one. I can pay in beer and pennies, may also offer quarters and cheese if you sweet talk me.

Not sure if you still need this. I have a basic stand that I use without issue. I'm a good drive away though

Sold the KTM. Got the YZ set up for Stonyford this weekend. New pegs, fresh oil, check a few other wear items to ensure they are in good shape. Just need to repack the exhaust but that won't happen until following weekend.

Oh REALLY? :wow What is it going to get replaced by? Everyone knows when one goes out, at least one must come back. :laughing :cool

Nothing in the immediate future. Using extra funds to beef up the YZ, help pay for wedding, and contribute to pay other expenses and paying down car some. I'm really happy with the 2T and makes life simpler.

I didn't foresee riding the KTM for anything other than Dual Sporting and if I go riding it will be trail riding such as Stony, Downieville, Moonrocks, etc.

I'm really happy with the 2T and makes life simpler.

th

Replaced the worn clutch basket and hub on my YZ in the hope of eliminating clutch drag. Thought maybe I'd be able to join you all at Stony this weekend, but my surgeon nixed that (check up today). Looks like it will be at least another two months.

Looks like an awesome project Leo. I'm in the same boat as you wrt riding. Sent Barbie off to the dealer for a checkup, then into the mothball fleet for awhile :cry

2018: The year of the tendons!

Sold the KTM. Got the YZ set up for Stonyford this weekend. New pegs, fresh oil, check a few other wear items to ensure they are in good shape. Just need to repack the exhaust but that won't happen until following weekend.

Damn that was fast Michael! Good for you!

Replaced the worn clutch basket and hub on my YZ in the hope of eliminating clutch drag. Thought maybe I'd be able to join you all at Stony this weekend, but my surgeon nixed that (check up today). Looks like it will be at least another two months.

After your performance at the SI -one week out of surgery, I'd thought you would be ready for Supercross by now! I hope everything is healing well and hope you would be at StonyBarf 10.5.

Back