• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

What did you do to your dirty bike today?

Going down it is great. Coming back up it? that can be a good challenge!
I love the trail (you can go up the opposite side of the ravine once you get to the bridge at the bottom, and it's much the same: steep with many many switchbacks).
Here's my vid going up to devils thumb from a couple years ago (just made it public though)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPpIcCpRyCo

fhill.jpg

I saw that trail and it looked like an interesting addition. How is it going down?

I swam at the bridge on the southern tip of trail 6. Next time I ride it, I'll leave earlier, bring more water, and have a picnic at the water hole.

Good times!

Sold the KTM... Met a guy in Monterey, loaded it in his truck, he went to Tahoe.

He emailed me that it started first kick. Life is good.

Going down it is great. Coming back up it? that can be a good challenge!
I love the trail (you can go up the opposite side of the ravine once you get to the bridge at the bottom, and it's much the same: steep with many many switchbacks).
Here's my vid going up to devils thumb from a couple years ago (just made it public though)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPpIcCpRyCo

View attachment 510254

Great video. Looks like a fun trail. I’ve not been to Foresthill.

Great video. Looks like a fun trail. I’ve not been to Foresthill.

Thanks! That part of the trail is really a blast. It's a bit technical and real purdy. I believe i've also heard it called "31 flavors" (for the 31 switchbacks?)

I highly suggest foresthill, you should get yourself there.
I've only done the trails on the eastern side of the road (starting from china wall), and I think i've only ridden Fhill twice.

Here's another of my Fhill vid's: the first part of trail 6 the first time I rode it 2015 (this is CCW, which is the only way i've ridden it)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2no0SE9APGI

I need a trip back there soon. Anyone want to go? Let's go!

Anyone want to go? Let's go!
(I should probably explain that I don't usually ride as non-stop aggressively as I did in that last video I shared. That ride ended up starting about 2 hours later than what I was expecting, so by the time the ride finally started, I didn't want to slow down or stop for anything. I knew these guys wouldn't mind. :) )

Thanks! That part of the trail is really a blast. It's a bit technical and real purdy. I believe i've also heard it called "31 flavors" (for the 31 switchbacks?)

I highly suggest foresthill, you should get yourself there.
I've only done the trails on the eastern side of the road (starting from china wall), and I think i've only ridden Fhill twice.

Here's another of my Fhill vid's: the first part of trail 6 the first time I rode it 2015 (this is CCW, which is the only way i've ridden it)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2no0SE9APGI

I need a trip back there soon. Anyone want to go? Let's go!

You were hustling! So fast! Impressive! I do not have the endurance to hold that speed longer than 3-5 minutes.

Anyone taken the western states trail from trail 6 at devil's thumb as far as you can go? I believe the multi use portion goes out quite a ways. I've been out to last chance and further where you're on dirt roads, but we were held back by snow. I think it at some point it goes back to singletrack and gets pretty rocky with some nice views, from some pics I've seen anyway. Not sure if the signs clue you in when the multi use goes back to foot traffic only.

:thumbup

I rolled Beta Barbie out of the containerand took its picture :cry

I might be on a bicycle mid October.
I'll be so much stronger when it's all healed up :thumbup

I see a lot of 230 time in my future, maybe a little KDX? Megs braap is coming back down in October/November and I'm hoping to spend some time with her relearning how to ride.

Right on. Sacrifice a little fun today for lots more tomorrow!

The crf230 and similar are too heavy and of course you can't go wrong with a kdx, but I'd probably think about something like a ttr125l, the big wheel version. Much lighter and super fun. Would be a great 'recovery' bike. I have the small wheel version and have taken in on ten mile rides. Even though I'm way too big for it, it's a hoot!

I just checked on a cylinder head we have out at Millennium Technologies for a simple valve job. They received it 3 weeks ago today. I was told they would turn it around in one week. They now say the KTM valves are on back order from their supplier and are due in "the middle of next week." After a little conversation, he said they would put it on the top of the list and should have it shipped by next Friday and that they would pay the return shipping, as they have had it so long.
I'm kind of surprised by this delay. First, I would think they would stock KTM valves. Secondly, they only have one supplier for such common parts and thirdly, when they knew it was going to take so long, they didn't call and give me options.
This just proves that if you care, just about everything you deal with can be managed by you better. You need to call and make them tell you everything. If you don't like what you are hearing ask questions and make suggestions. I could have purchased valve/seals elsewhere and had them shipped to Millennium. It would have added cost, complexity and the added possibility that something else could go wrong, but it could have sped up the process. Luckily there is not race and no rides were planned, but it is frustrating.
Hopefully it shows up as promised this time and the bike goes back together smoothly. I'm sure that after I see it in operation this frustration will pass. I do know that I will ask Millenium more questions before sending them another head.

Anyone taken the western states trail from trail 6 at devil's thumb as far as you can go?
I haven't, mostly because (if I understand correctly) you won't find gas anywhere in that direction (apparently the trail goes all the way to squaw valley, but I don't know how much of it you can legally moto)
I have been the other way to Michigan Bluff, which is a nice trail. Probably no gas in MB, either.

I just checked on a cylinder head we have out at Millennium Technologies for a simple valve job.

Folks' experiences with them have widely varied.. from completely fine, total hack job / delays / no returned calls etc etc. Seems QC and overall experience with them has headed downhill lately.

No dirt related. Got in new valve cover gaskets and Piper Cross air filter. Time to clean-up oil from front valve cover, do valve check and put my Mille back on the street.

Finally ripped the wr450 apart and sent the suspension off to Smart Performance. While it was on the racks, tore it down and serviced bearings, gaskets, fluids, etc. Just bolted on the headlight and fired it up. Looking forward to testing out the new suspension. Will update later.

I haven't, mostly because (if I understand correctly) you won't find gas anywhere in that direction (apparently the trail goes all the way to squaw valley, but I don't know how much of it you can legally moto)
I have been the other way to Michigan Bluff, which is a nice trail. Probably no gas in MB, either.

Ahhhh right. Not sure if anyone's interested, but I could stage some gas out there and we could do a little braf wst ride..?

Back