• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

What did you do to your dirty bike today?

Leaving dirt on the bike really accelerates wear of tons of items. Chain and sprockets, corrosion on all sorts of stuff like spoke nipples, weeping fork and shock seals, increased risk of dirt getting in the motor from oil/filter changes, on and on. I hear friends talk about always needing new parts like it's a badge of honor, but I know how much they ride and it's from neglect. :laughing

Leaving dirt on the bike really accelerates wear of tons of items. Chain and sprockets, corrosion on all sorts of stuff like spoke nipples, weeping fork and shock seals, increased risk of dirt getting in the motor from oil/filter changes, on and on. I hear friends talk about always needing new parts like it's a badge of honor, but I know how much they ride and it's from neglect. :laughing

while I agree, i'm tempted to say 'something something "it leaks because it's marking it's territory".' :D

My theory right here!

I will clean parts removed but if I'm not removing anything...it's not getting cleaned.

This is my kid's take on it.
Mine, clean every few rides. It helps to keep an eye on items for maintenance. It also keeps crap from getting into everything during maintenance.

A quick wash is on the agenda before next ride. Which won't be until Sunday the 24 at the soonest. Hmmm...Unless I take a day off work to go ride. Hmmmm???

I clean mine when it needs maintenance only, but never experienced any of these issues? I do clean the chain after every ride though (if I'm gone for 3 days riding, it gets cleaned after the ride, not every day).

Pics from today's trials practice.

IMG_20180612_124855030-L.jpg

IMG_20180612_124858452-L.jpg

Square edge rock face. At first I was like damn but then I was all damn I'm good.

IMG_20180612_124917774-L.jpg

IMG_20180612_124927670-L.jpg

IMG_20180612_132759687-L.jpg

IMG_20180612_132804383-L.jpg

IMG_20180612_132808322-L.jpg

IMG_20180612_134130732-L.jpg

IMG_20180612_134150268-L.jpg

I clean mine when it needs maintenance only, but never experienced any of these issues? I do clean the chain after every ride though (if I'm gone for 3 days riding, it gets cleaned after the ride, not every day).

I'd do the same on a 3 day ride, but do you ride and let it sit for a month, then ride, then let it sit for three weeks, etc? That's when fork seals seem to get eaten up.

This is the only snake I've seen while riding.

IMG_20170513_160728467-L.jpg

Did I mention I saw another marmot on my ride yesterday? Got a real good close look at it.

That reminds me of a ferret-like creature I've seen in my yard. Smaller than the marmots I've seen and grey. Not a squirrel. I'm wondering if it's the fucker who is destroying flowers and relocating flowers to my doorstep.

That reminds me of a ferret-like creature I've seen in my yard. Smaller than the marmots I've seen and grey

May be a Pica

I'd do the same on a 3 day ride, but do you ride and let it sit for a month, then ride, then let it sit for three weeks, etc? That's when fork seals seem to get eaten up.

Interesting. :thumbup

What does it mean when they start leaking when you're riding? Asking for a friend... :teeth

My Buddy and I put the cylinder and top end back on his 2008 CRF 450R tonight. He had sent the head to EDCO for a valve job and had them check the piston/bore which were new, but failed a leak down. The bike never performed as it should after his piston/ring job which started the tear down. In any case I put the rings back on the piston and installed it and the cylinder, set the valve lash and installed the head. About 3 hours after we started the project it was running and doing 3rd gear roll on wheelies. She appears to be a fast runner!

Nice job Tom!!

Today: changed the gear box oil and cleaned/oiled air filter.

Yesterday: conquered trail 6-the first time I’ve ever ridden it. No crashes or drops. Made it up all the technical climbs and down the descents. Swam in the beautiful creek at the half way point. We even found someone’s CRF250 down there stashed by a tree. It beat me mentally and physically to point of exhaustion and spent a lot of time sitting on my ass trying to make it through. We also did trail 5 and 2 making for a 50 mile loop.

Love and enjoy the new to me YZ250. Kick ass bike.

foresthill trail 6? that one's a blast!
You can take the trail at devils thumb down the trail of switchbacks (towards last chance) for some added fun, too (or is that the one you took to go swimming?)

Today: changed the gear box oil and cleaned/oiled air filter.

Yesterday: conquered trail 6-the first time I’ve ever ridden it. No crashes or drops. Made it up all the technical climbs and down the descents. Swam in the beautiful creek at the half way point. We even found someone’s CRF250 down there stashed by a tree. It beat me mentally and physically to point of exhaustion and spent a lot of time sitting on my ass trying to make it through. We also did trail 5 and 2 making for a 50 mile loop.

Love and enjoy the new to me YZ250. Kick ass bike.

foresthill trail 6? that one's a blast!
You can take the trail at devils thumb down the trail of switchbacks (towards last chance) for some added fun, too (or is that the one you took to go swimming?)

I saw that trail and it looked like an interesting addition. How is it going down?

I swam at the bridge on the southern tip of trail 6. Next time I ride it, I'll leave earlier, bring more water, and have a picnic at the water hole.

Good times!

Back