• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

What did you do to your dirty bike today?

This is how my bikes end up looking when I'm just going to "clean the chain." :laughing

Tore off the rear end to grease the swingarm and linkage bearings. (I thought I just did this but my notes say it was around 60 hours ago.) Quit because it started getting warm.

IMG_20180719_102941497-X2.jpg

Yesterday I replaced the JIS Philips head type screws on the ignition cover and sprocket cover with flange head screws.

Took the swingarm off, greased all the bearings in the swingarm and linkage. They didn't really need it. They could go on a 100 hour schedule like the piston and the forks.

While I'm here I'm going to put new carb vent hoses on. I took a break because it got warm again (at 10:30 AM) with my hands sweating in nitrile gloves, yuck.

I'm also going to put a dial indicator on the piston to check crank play.

Well, all the bearings were good except the lower shock, it was dry and seized. WTF?! I thought I greased when I had Zoran rebuild the shock. It should be in the same condition as all the other bearings. Maybe the seals were bad and let water in, but they looked good. BTW, Koyo bearing, so original from 2006, not an All Balls or Pivot Works kit. I ordered an All Balls kit because of austerity measures. :(

I got the new carb vent lines done.

IMG_20180720_115444332-L.jpg

Looks good, except I realized the routing was wrong when I put the sprocket cover back on. Mo betta:

IMG_20180720_121909963-L.jpg

BTW, this is poly, um, poly-something hose, slightly less flexible than the Keihin hose and a smaller outside diameter. The original spring clips won't fit so I used small zip ties to secure them over the carb fittings.

Speaking of sprocket cover and ignition cover, no more JIS head screws.

IMG_20180720_121924715-L.jpg

Then I got to work checking for play in the (original) crank. Don't throw away those evil plastic straws, they are good for finding near TDC.

IMG_20180720_133219462-L.jpg

With the ignition cover off, you can grab the flywheel and try to jiggle it. If you feel any movement, you're done, no need to break out the dial indicator, you need a new bottom end. But if it's tight, you can use a timing dial.

IMG_20180720_133900535-L.jpg

Zero it at TDC then rotate the flywheel back and forth slightly. If the dial doesn't move directly with flywheel, it's time for a new bottom end.

IMG_20180720_133925779-L.jpg

This was good time to clean out the ignition area, which is vented and lets in dust and water. My bike was spotless.

If you are checking crank play with a dial indicator, you should also confirm the ignition timing and possibly adjust it. But then that's probably why you have a 2 stroke plug hole dial adapter.

I re-routed the vent hoses again. I think I have OCD. The shock bearing came in today and it installed easily.

In the morning I went for a short ride on my 450 because yesterday afternoon/evening it poured rain. Mmm, wet sand.

IMG_20180722_093602109-L.jpg

IMG_20180722_093554292-L.jpg

IMG_20180722_093616482-L.jpg

IMG_20180722_093543044-L.jpg

The monsoon rain made a bunch of new rain ruts, moved rocks, moved sand, and changed the trails again.

[youtube]U8TGhy_ksRc[/youtube]

What rear tire is that? It looks like a trials tire. I've been using the Dunlop 3S and it is pretty amazing so far.

Last edited:
I am going to load mine up and get it dirty.
RIGHT NOW!!!
Before it gets hot. Metcalf for a couple hours.

In the morning I went for a short ride on my 450 because yesterday afternoon/evening it poured rain. Mmm, wet sand.

Conditions were quite good yesterday after those thunderstorms. I went up and rode at the top of Kingsbury in the afternoon, it was barely 70 degrees up there at 8200 ft.

I excavated two of the OG bikes out of the container today. Washed them up, told them I love them and put them back.

29731280558_77fefcf935_c.jpg

I put my 250 back together and the chain was too tight. It took me a while to find the culprit, I mis-routed the chain below the chain roller.

What rear tire is that? It looks like a trials tire.
It's a worn Pirelli MT-43, which is an excellent trail/dual sport (DOT legal, long wearing) rear for thumpers. Trials like pattern, but not a true trials sidewall or rubber. It climbs stuff really well but it spins easily when I try to roost out of sandy corners like a madman.

ATraK and a Bultaco!! Get yourself a Cagiva and a Zundapp and I think you're set. Hodaka would get you some extra points though.

I excavated two of the OG bikes out of the container today. Washed them up, told them I love them and put them back.

29731280558_77fefcf935_c.jpg

Fuel Elbow O Rings went south and the bike started pissing fuel all over the place whenever the bowl was full. Of course in order to get to the stripped retaining bolt that was on the carb I had to get the carb out, so apart came the bike.

Working on giving it a good deep cleaning with half the bike taken apart, also sending in the forks to get serviced as the dust seals are gone on one leg.

Also found out I was missing a header bolt, yay?

Ordered the power up kit for the bike, because why not? I already have the carb out. Hoping to get it back together by next weekend.
oARNw0Y.jpg

I pulled the rear wheel off my XR400 in preparation of mounting new rear wheel bearings and a tire.

Not quite today, but sold my Husky 300 & KTM 400 and replaced them with a new FE450.

New bikes are the best! :teeth

New bikes with California Plates are even more Beta (wait I spelled that wrong, I know you have a plate :facepalm)

OMG that thing is still alive?? So glad it worked for you. I see that ATK in your sig line do you still have that?

Back