• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

What did you do to your dirty bike today?

Get some SSS forks from a YZ or later WR, they rule.

What's the power up kit? De-restriction kit?

Yeah that one, the GYT-R kit that comes with new jets a new needle and the block off plate for the EGR. I am stuck for a week waiting for some other parts so might as well.

Ill check out the SSS forks, will probably just rebuild these for now.

But Tom we wait with bated breath...WHICH TIRE!?!?[/QUOTE

The only tire a sane person would mount :rofl:rofl A Maxxis Desert IT.

Hey, I'm not sure what oil to use, can I get some Advice from the masses? :cool

On a different note, It is good to see you out on the bikes again!

Oil/filter change, Cleaned Air filter, changed fuel filter, installed Acerbis skidplate, Promoto Billet Kick stand.

Do tell...
And for what conditions?

I love my desert tires, even for tahoe rocks and loose silt. Only other rear I use is a pirelli mt trials tire.

I'm mostly just giving Tom shit. Maxxcross desert is a good tire; it's tough and wears like iron. In the dry summer conditions, I feel like a knobby is a knobby. Put any tire on my rear wheel and set me loose in a sand wash I probably couldn't tell the difference.

For outright traction I'm into the hybrid/gummy tires, especially for their winter performance. Hard compound tires turn into hockey pucks when it's cold; if you reach down and twist the knobs you can't even get one to move. Hybrid tires stay a little softer. It makes a world of difference on hard cold dirt. They also perform excellent in the clay-heavy mud we get in the Pine Nuts. Of course you pay the price for traction with longevity.
I've been running the Shinko Hybrid Cheater tires. 505 in summer and 525 in winter. I've heard the MotoZ Arena Hybrid is an amazing tire, and wears great, but it's $40+ more than the Shinkos. The Kenda Ibex Hybrid is another one at least of my riding buddies loves. I might try one of those this winter instead of the 525 Cheater.

I never bought into the trials tire hype. And now with the prevalence of hybrid tires that match a super soft trials-like rubber compound to a traditional knobby pattern, there's less need for them than ever.

I broke my chain tensioner bolt on the TM cause I was gonna put anti sieze on it...

Now there is a stud stuck in the swingarm. Being soaked with b
Liquud wrench now. Shudda done that first.

Changed the Air Filter, lubed chain, and cables. Washed it. Started it (first time since Sheetiron in May.. Dammit if I don't always forget the correct choke position and kick it until I work up a sweat and then realize the choke isn't even on... Started right up after that. Topped off the oil.. Ready to ride tomorrow.. XR400R is awesome.

Went to Metcalf today. I'm putting some supermoto rims on my KLX140L, think KLX140L to KLX140SM :) Anyway I figured I'd go hit up Metcalf before I swap everything over to supermoto action. I literally rode EVERY trail in the park today, haven't ridden any serious dirt since January err I guess riding most of the OHV in socal on a quad might count but it wasn't on the KLX. I wanted to ride all the single track trails because I realize I've been riding at Metcalf for a LOOONG time but haven't done all the single track there is and what better bike to ride the singletrack than the KLX140. I'm getting really good at jumping logs, I must've did like 15. I practiced recoveries and pivot turns. I can pivot turn off of rocks now and even on those tight single track turns. It was really dry and loose today. Not much traction today slip and slide day!

There were some people riding today also even thought it's green sticker season. Buncha kawasakis and an Alta Redshift. Saw a KLX140G also, I shoulda asked if we could trade for a bit, I've always wondered if the G would fit me better.

I installed a Ricochet Offroad Skidplate, sometimes I like to jump over stuff sometimes and I'm bashing up the frame. Also did a little tune up, new spark plug and plug cap. replaced the little boot that protects the clutch cable with this cool green one.

Decided to take the Prius, no power it really struggle going up Metcalf Road but hey it get's 40MPG towing vs 19mpg of my van.
0816181512-XL.jpg

A little spectator area at the top of H20 Hillclimb.
0816181547_HDR-XL.jpg

That didn't turn out the way I expected it to. It was just taking a nap. Actually it pushed my handguard into my throttle tube and was making it bind. Fixed it in the parking lot =/
0816181553_HDR-XL.jpg

0816181554-XL.jpg

My favorite picture spot at Metcalf. You can see all that smoke from the fires.
0816181729_HDR-XL.jpg

0816181729-XL.jpg

After coming down the serpentine downhill. Always sketchy going down that.
0816181737-XL.jpg

And now go up another rocky climb.
0816181738a-XL.jpg

View from Big Manzanita, I was in a crappy place to put the kickstand down so I just layed the bike down =P
0816181744-XL.jpg

20 miles of riding in that little space, hit up most if not all of the trails.
0816181817a_HDR-XL.jpg

0816181818a_HDR-XL.jpg

The knob ripping power of the KLX140!
0816181921-XL.jpg

0816181922-XL.jpg

Last edited:
Serpentine Is prolly the trickest trail there with some short but steep drop offs and lotsa rocks. They have it posted with two red diamonds...

Last edited:
I replaced the rear wheel bearings on my XR400. They were new for Baja earlier this year but I guess I had too much fun crossing rivers as the drive side was badly worn. Water had gotten in.

Attachments

• IMG_8264.jpg
    IMG_8264.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 36
That just helps keep the little balls in place Tom.

Went to Metcalf today. I'm putting some supermoto rims on my KLX140L, think KLX140L to KLX140SM :) Anyway I figured I'd go hit up Metcalf before I swap everything over to supermoto action.

Nice. I'm counting down the days until Oct 1 so I can ride Metcalf again : | Very tempted to buy a cheap green sticker bike so I can get some riding in.

No. She said, “little balls.” The balls in question are yours. Does this make you uncomfortable? Do you think it should?

:laughing

Uncomfortable, not at all. I'm used to people talking about my balls. No, I don't think it should. :party

Merlin, it's time you pass that little bike down for cheap cheap cheap to someone with a disability :p

Back