• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

What did you do to your dirty bike today?

It's gonna be a whole new machine after sorting out the clutch, the power valve, and a new piston.

You rode the thing for about a minute and said, "Something is not right." You were correct sir. :thumbup

Can't wait to get it back together.

Washed 3 year old dirt off. Good thing there was race gas in the tank because I thought it would be gelled up. Drained out just fine no crap in it. Bike is gonna need some serious tlc. Might just put new gas and fresh plug and fire her up and keep riding:ride:rofl

Anyone know a reputable shop in the sac Roseville area?
I haven't touched my YZ426 since October. I have a practice Saturday and race Sunday. Really hoping that it isn't too gummed up. I did use StaBil.

Pulled my top end to find my bottom end out of shape. Spent the value of my bike on new parts and hoping to have it rebuilt this weekend!

LOL.... thats a little bit of an exaggeration! :laughing See you Saturday. :thumbup

Hardly... for all new bearings, seals, and O-rings, it is over $1k. This will be the last time I do it for this bike...and hopefully will get 3 years of service (300 hours) out of the motor.

pulled the 426 out and got it started last night

it had *very* low compression at first, not sure why. after a few kicks it was reasonable. maybe next time I let it sit for ~5mo I should fog the cylinder first or something.

took half a dozen kicks to fire. not too bad given how long it sat and that it's fairly tired.

I'm bringing all the specialized tools needed for the YZ rebuild (top and bottom.) Then going to "supervise" splitting the cases and the rebuild. :party

Need any help supervising?
I have a cooler.... :staRang

This is going to be like a Caltrans work site. Ten guys standing around chatting and pointing and two guys working. :laughing

This is going to be like a Caltrans work site. Ten guys standing around chatting and pointing and two guys working. :laughing

What's orange and sleeps six? Caltrans truck
Funny you should mention Caltrans- That's what first brought me to Crockett.
Worked for 6 years as an bridge electrician for them, Carquinez was home base.

What's orange and sleeps six? Caltrans truck
Funny you should mention Caltrans- That's what first brought me to Crockett.
Worked for 6 years as an bridge electrician for them, Carquinez was home base.

Crockett is good living! Spent fifteen years there, but moved north in 2016. :thumbup

So got the top end finished on the 200 xcw. Previous owner had the power valve set up wrong and WAAY out of adjustment. Got it all dialed in and the bike it way more fun now. WOOT!

Last edited:
Oh man, it was a Caltrans work site yesterday at Drews in the city. I think there was 9 or 10 folks milling about at one point. I left around 5, but Tom stuck around to help Michael finish the motor. :thumbup

Oh man, it was a Caltrans work site yesterday at Drews in the city. I think there was 9 or 10 folks milling about at one point. I left around 5, but Tom stuck around to help Michael finish the motor. :thumbup

I showed up a little after you left and stayed until the motor was buttoned up. Hey where does this thing go? :laughing

Crockett is good living! Spent fifteen years there, but moved north in 2016. :thumbup

So got the top end finished on the 200 xcw. Previous owner had the power valve set up wrong and WAAY out of adjustment. Got it all dialed in and the bike it way more fun now. WOOT!

Does your 200 have a power valve hit now? Do you have a flywheel weight? I felt Paul's power valve hit on the YZ and I was not enjoying it. Too much damn power!

I appreciate your help with everything! Thanks to you (and your tools) we were able to get it reassembled in a day...a very long 14 hour day.
I showed up a little after you left and stayed until the motor was buttoned up. Hey where does this thing go? :laughing

You and Tom were life savers! Tom's expertise, and your fresh eyes catching stupid mistakes as the day wore on.

Everyone there was really generous with their time, patience, and commitment to getting it done right.

I am going to load the motor in tonight. Hoping to be able to kick it and see if it runs. I lost the ball and spring to the kick starter so I ordered one up. Quick and easy fix. We will also see if the clutch cover gasket holds after being reused. I have a lot of work ahead. Hoping I can get the first cycle of piston ring setting tonight.

first order of business is washing the air filters in the wash machine with some oxy clean.

then I'll pull rear wheel and swingarm. Drop the motor in. link up the coolant hoses. check the carb -- the vent line came off during the last ride--and then slip it in. I can almost taste the castor/yamalube oil smoke.

Made a skid plate outta 3/16" aluminum, then painted it red- gotta give the bees something to aim at.. :wow
(and yes, that is a 450L)

dZhE18T.jpg

Last edited:
Back