• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

What did you do to your dirty bike today?

Cool, so if an old man runs at me waving a rake and yelling to "Git out!" I can tell them brichter and thedub said it was OK? :rofl

I wasn't sure if this was considered bad form. If it's not a big problem, I'd be fine with doing that. Maybe find a 24 hour place and do it when it's empty, and try to not leave a mess as much as possible.

I have a record number of hours on my transmission oil so I went to Walmart for a $13 gallon of Rotella T4. It's a diesel oil that's recommended by Rekluse, works well, and can be used in my WR450F as engine oil.

challenger.JPG

Right on the shelf next to it was this for $10.

IMG_20190401_092958407-L.jpg

That's one gallon for pennies more than the price of one liter of Bel Ray Gear Saver (the oil I use in my trials bike).

As pictured, I bought it home and put it in my YZ250. If the clutch grabs or slips, I'll post the video. If the transmission grenades, I'll post pics. But this might be the hot ticket for poor, unemployed dirt bikers.

Check your local Costco. $23.99 for this box of 3 gallons of Delo 15W40. I can change the oil in my truck and still have enough for a bike left over. :teeth

Attachments

• IMG_3323.jpg
    IMG_3323.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 33
Cool, so if an old man runs at me waving a rake and yelling to "Git out!" I can tell them brichter and thedub said it was OK? :rofl

I wasn't sure if this was considered bad form. If it's not a big problem, I'd be fine with doing that. Maybe find a 24 hour place and do it when it's empty, and try to not leave a mess as much as possible.

I've got one semi-local to me (South Bay) they have one bay specifically for muddy vehicles. Otherwise there's one local that's dead before 2am... who knew drunk car washing was a thing? :rofl:rofl

Rode my dirty bike and washed it. But that leads me to this question for everyone here:

What sort of alternatives are there if you don't have a good place to clean up your bike after a muddy ride? I currently live in a single family house, but I'm looking to move and wondering how sucky it would be if I wound up in a townhome with only a garage but not acceptable place to hose down a bike.
When I had an exceptionally muddy bike I would visit a local coin operated car wash that spray the dirt off there.

I cleaned and lubed my chain and noticed it pulls away from the rear sprocket slightly. It's getting worn. My chains always die while my sprockets look perfect.

I'm wondering if I should stop cleaning with kerosene/mineral spirits when it gets grungy. After power washing my bike I spray the chain with WD-40 or, preferably, 6-in-1. If I don't wash my bike between rides, I dry-brush it and use chain lube.

I've been using Regina ORN6 and ORS6 chains. Maybe it's time to go X-ring or Z-ring.

I cleaned and lubed my chain and noticed it pulls away from the rear sprocket slightly. It's getting worn. My chains always die while my sprockets look perfect.

I'm wondering if I should stop cleaning with kerosene/mineral spirits when it gets grungy. After power washing my bike I spray the chain with WD-40 or, preferably, 6-in-1. If I don't wash my bike between rides, I dry-brush it and use chain lube.

I've been using Regina ORN6 and ORS6 chains. Maybe it's time to go X-ring or Z-ring.

What bike are you riding???

Power washed my bike, cleaned my pipe and silencer separately, put them back on.

The Gnarly pipe is ... gnarled. The left side is mashed in against the skid plate and frame. I need a jig to hammer it back into place. Somehow, it bolts the mounts.

I'll never learn to put that bottom spring on before putting the pipe on.

Also, someone needs to sell high temp silicone sealant in single-use tubes. Mine clogs up, dries up, and goes to waste.

Went for a quick ride.
And then lost front brake.
The rubber in the master turned to jellow..

Attachments

• IMG_20190417_190822167_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20190417_190822167_HDR.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_20190417_190239138_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20190417_190239138_HDR.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_20190417_191544322_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20190417_191544322_HDR.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 56
replaced cooling system flush with proper coolant, and performed second break-in cycle. Filled with fuel.

I am a bit late, but I just finished installing a cylinder that was re-coated by Power Seal, new piston, refurbished head assembly (sourced from a company that mainly services quads). Bike fired up, burned off all the excess grease, and is running a lot better.

I screwed up and only took 1 photo of the finished assembly. My bad.

James

Not sure it applies to high-temp, but from the lightweight packing groups: pop the plunger from the tube, and mix in mineral spirits to dilute the silicon mixture. Replace the plunger. This makes a different consistency of the sealant.

You may be able to take a dollop and mix it to use, and seal the rest?

Permatex 22072 is available in half-ounce tubes for under $5. Not cheap enough. That's about the same prize as 3 oz tubes.

What did I do to my dirty bike today (yesterday)? Moved it off my HF stand to move a lawnmower up there and work on it. Same old shit, clogged carb. Just like my WR450F that clogs the pilot jet when parked, except the mower carb is easier to get to and is cheap and janky. It's no accident my power washer is much higher quality than my lawn mower and starts after sitting for weeks or months.

Took the TTR, CRF, and Beta out; libed their chains checked tire pressures, washed them. They are all going down to "Babes in the Dirt" with me Thursday :ride :cool

Where did you go?
(curious)

Just in the gravel lot next door. I'm working on dragging out obsticles to play with. Hurts lesss to fall on the gravel than on the asphalt. :rofl

The Beta is a frigging skyscraper, the CRF has marginal suspension, the TTR makes me act stupid but for now it is my bike of choice.

Back