• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

What did you do to your dirty bike today?

You had me yearning for a Carnegie shot..
Perhaps in a few weeks.
Thanks for lighting the fire under my ass. :laughing

You had me yearning for a Carnegie shot..
Perhaps in a few weeks.
Thanks for lighting the fire under my ass. :laughing

Honestly, I havebeen terrorizing the roads on my Vino in an attempt to regain any semblance of confidence. Going around the gates on Mt. Tam has helped a bit.

Carnegie on a weekday works :thumbup

When I get back let's set up a committed regular Thursday thing!

Picked up a 96 KX80, 01 XR70R & 04 TTR125L for the kiddo. Spent the afternoon seeing what runs and what doesn't and what needs what. So far:

KX80 needs gear box oil change, spark plug, air filter lever(s), grips, chain & cable lube, mud flap and eventually graphics.

TTR125L needs full oil change, grips, air filter, levers, chain & cable lube, front number plate, spark plug, new seat, and eventually graphics. Leaks fuel out of the bowl tube so gotta pull that a part. Did you know that this thing doesn't have fuel or oil filter?????

XR70R needs full oil change, air filter, brake perch, spark plug, carb rebuild since it doesn't start at all.

I put my 250 away in storage. Now there's an 80% chance of rain tomorrow with mild temps Wednesday so I may have to take it out and ride it.

Made it out to Hollister this weekend, all in all did decently well for not having ridden since last August. Need a new rear tire though, mine is probably a bit past its expiration date.

Totaly botched this hill climb, was in the wrong gear and didnt downshift early enough by the time I realized how F'ed i was it was far too late.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccHN0sZKOuM

Going to take the rear wheel off when I get home later today, heard good things about the Maxxis Desert IT's, but anyone else have suggestions for local terrain?

Last edited:
Made it out to Hollister this weekend, all in all did decently well for not having ridden since last August. Need a new rear tire though, mine is probably a bit past its expiration date.

Totaly botched this hill climb, was in the wrong gear and didnt downshift early enough by the time I realized how F'ed i was it was far too late.

Going to take the rear wheel off when I get home later today, heard good things about the Maxxis Desert IT's, but anyone else have suggestions for local terrain?

Been there, done that! Any injuries besides your pride?

A lot of us have had to learn hill climbing the hard way. First rule: once it has rolled back six inches, you may as well lay it down immediately. Otherwise it will just toss you off at a faster speed. Second rule: lay it down on the left side or it will roll the throttle on as it slides backwards and you'll have to run back up the hill to hit the kill switch before the engine blows itself up.

I've only actually fallen off of a bike and hit the ground once in the past ten years. All of the other times when the bike went down I stepped off and remained standing. That one time was a year ago on a steep hill in the Boise foothills when things just got too rough for me going up a steep rocky section and my left leg needed to be about 18" longer to be able to balance my XR. :laughing

Good video. Definitely been there done that. The last few years I’ve been riding two strokes and have improved a lot with slipping the clutch. I rode the 450exc on the Santa Cruz New Year’s Day rise this year and found myself doing it naturally with the 4t with a lot of success on hillclimbs.

A lot of us have had to learn hill climbing the hard way. First rule: once it has rolled back six inches, you may as well lay it down immediately. Otherwise it will just toss you off at a faster speed. Second rule: lay it down on the left side or it will roll the throttle on as it slides backwards and you'll have to run back up the hill to hit the kill switch before the engine blows itself up.

I've only actually fallen off of a bike and hit the ground once in the past ten years. All of the other times when the bike went down I stepped off and remained standing. That one time was a year ago on a steep hill in the Boise foothills when things just got too rough for me going up a steep rocky section and my left leg needed to be about 18" longer to be able to balance my XR. :laughing

You know looking back on it in hindsight I agree with everything you are saying. But I panicked a bit when I was in the process and thought.... well I dont think I was thinking or I would have just dumped it.

Good video. Definitely been there done that. The last few years I’ve been riding two strokes and have improved a lot with slipping the clutch. I rode the 450exc on the Santa Cruz New Year’s Day rise this year and found myself doing it naturally with the 4t with a lot of success on hillclimbs.

Yeah riding big 450's has made me a bit complacent at times in the clutch management department as the bikes can just lug themselves up a lot. Fisheye effect also distorts just how steep that hill was, once I lost momentum I was pretty much screwed and there was no way I was making it up, I cut the video off, but I ended up falling 5 or 6 times just trying to walk back to where the bike was laying.

Last edited:
Fisheye effect also distorts just how steep that hill was...
Unless you're looking across the hill, it's tough to show how steep any hill is. I've taken photos of my bikes aimed up steep hills and the hill always looks flat in the photo.

Fisheye effect also distorts just how steep that hill was, once I lost momentum I was pretty much screwed and there was no way I was making it up, I cut the video off, but I ended up falling 5 or 6 times just trying to walk back to where the bike was laying.

Yeah even with the camera effect it clearly was a steep hill. Gravity took over pretty quick in the vid! I hate sliding backwards down a hill! :ride

I loaded all of them except the ATK into the truck and spent 4 days in Hungry Valley riding each and everyone of them :ride
I TT tracked the 125 and realized I probably could use a TE150 :laughing

Bought brake fluid so I can fix the brakes on the YZ as they are funky.

Going to pull the clutch cover and remove a spring or two on the clutch and see how it feels. Maybe I'll even measure the plates to see if they are still in spec.

Thinking I'll check jetting but who knows...that takes a lot of work. But with the tank off to fix the petcock, I should be able to do it.

You bought 3 bikes for one kid?!
Haha, this is how it all starts (the "I just need one more bike, then I'll be fine" :laughing)

Picked up a 96 KX80, 01 XR70R & 04 TTR125L for the kiddo. Spent the afternoon seeing what runs and what doesn't and what needs what. So far:

KX80 needs gear box oil change, spark plug, air filter lever(s), grips, chain & cable lube, mud flap and eventually graphics.

TTR125L needs full oil change, grips, air filter, levers, chain & cable lube, front number plate, spark plug, new seat, and eventually graphics. Leaks fuel out of the bowl tube so gotta pull that a part. Did you know that this thing doesn't have fuel or oil filter?????

XR70R needs full oil change, air filter, brake perch, spark plug, carb rebuild since it doesn't start at all.

I hope once you got back to the bottom you turned around and conquered it!

You bought 3 bikes for one kid?!
Haha, this is how it all starts (the "I just need one more bike, then I'll be fine" :laughing)

LoL, I initially wanted just the TTR125 but he also mentioned in the ad that there was a KX80 for sale. Make an offer for both. I mentioned I WANT the TTR but also interested in the KX80 so that I could ride the mini bike with my kiddo in the same kids area without getting any grief, and both are green stickers. My regular bike is a red sticker 18 KTM 450SXF. Any how, I get a txt to come take a look and make an offer when I get back to town. 10 minutes later, I get another txt out of the blue, "Buy both the KX80 and TTR125 for $XXXX and I'll throw in this XR70R". Score, got 3 lol.

Did some carb cleaning and tuning, new grips, some new panel screws, air filters, and a few other small things, I've got 3 running and rideable kids bikes.

Last edited:
Back