• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

What did you do to your dirty bike today?

Do you switch out the chain as well when you go to the dirty wheels? Just curious.

I do on the Xr. There was no way to adjust for the 40 tooth sprocket.

Do you switch out the chain as well when you go to the dirty wheels? Just curious.

Uses the same Cush hub with the sprocket on it - same gear ratio - but with the tiny diameter wheels will be lower geared, which is ok as I never go 100 on the thing anyway.

Had to trim the fork protectors with a dremill to clear the front.

Back wasn't too bad, about as much of a pita as the DRZ, didn't need to remove the caliper.

It really is the closest thing to a do-it-all machine. What's the trick for removing the rear sumo wheel without fighting the caliper?

It's a struggle, but you get used to it. My trick is having the bike on a lift.

What? Oh, not helpful...yea I know.

:laughing

I'd be tempted to mill down the locator on the swingarm if I were going to do it frequently, but I think I'm going to sell the sumo wheels to help fund a KLR, or similar.

I'd be tempted to mill down the locator on the swingarm if I were going to do it frequently, but I think I'm going to sell the sumo wheels to help fund a KLR, or similar.

I have an inexpensive Harbor Fright moto lift, I think it was less than $100. Makes this a much easier job. I've always heard that the DR650 is much lighter and just as robust as the KLR. Both can be had for about the same price and are equally as inexpensive to get parts for...

With the moto stand, can you swap them out without putting little scratches in the rims? I know, it's anal, but I hate wrestling with it and scratching rims. I like the DR650 for sure. My buddy has one reasonably pimped out and it's very nice. I lean towards the KLR because I think it would be a little more pleasant if I just felt like going for a street ride. I've got dirt covered and I've got the dirt oriented DS covered, just need the fat pig DS next.

Just installed a Galfer steel braided line on the rear and rebuilt the master cylinder on the crf450, no more spongebob! :party

With the moto stand, can you swap them out without putting little scratches in the rims? I know, it's anal, but I hate wrestling with it and scratching rims. I like the DR650 for sure. My buddy has one reasonably pimped out and it's very nice. I lean towards the KLR because I think it would be a little more pleasant if I just felt like going for a street ride. I've got dirt covered and I've got the dirt oriented DS covered, just need the fat pig DS next.

Honestly it wasn't too bad, the guy that I got the rims from said it took two folks. Put it in at an angle, bit of fiddling with the chain and 15 minutes later it was on.

Kibblewhite SS Intake conversion, CP-Carillo forged piston, fresh gaskets and o-rings all around on everything, new silicon radiator hoses, and fresh coolant. Also a good scrub, finish throwing it all together for a test run tomorrow! :) :)

I haven't been working on my own bikes, but I was working on a '94 CR250R w/ a stuck power valve. The bike had a huge fly wheel weight so it was all carboned up. lots of scraping and cleaning it rev's really awesome.

^^^Is it a clean one? I love the '92-'96 CR250's, would like to have a builder someday.

Here she is, pretty pumped on this one. It's a plated 2004 450 EXC. I'll probably replace the 450 piston/cylinder with a 525 someday, but I'm going to play with it for a while first. Still have a short punch list, but it should be taken care of by next weekend.

O5bKBQe.jpg

4EdAa6O.jpg

Last edited:
Not even close to being clean. My nephew new it was a rag and he took it in trade for labor.

So much wrong with it, don't you hate when someone puts the wrong bolt or washer on a bike, it looks bad and usually rattles. Well every nut, bolt, and washer were wrong. Here is a list of the crap;
Front wheel never been service, bearings half seized
Front brake caliper routed around the wrong side of the forks so it nearly kinks the hose
Broken rear fender
Missing expansion chamber springs and broken rubber mount
Seized power valve linkage
Wrong side plates, off a year so they don't cover the full side off the air box
No front seat hold down bolt in the tank
Wrong front number plate, held on with wire ties
YZ yes YZ front fender
Chain and sprockets so worn out the chain hits the mud flap
Bent shorty clutch lever
Broken front brake lever

I am sure more, but I have not pulled the rear wheel and swing arm yet.

Aw that sucks. Make it proper for him Uncle Ben!

^^^Is it a clean one? I love the '92-'96 CR250's, would like to have a builder someday.

Here she is, pretty pumped on this one. It's a plated 2004 450 EXC. I'll probably replace the 450 piston/cylinder with a 525 someday, but I'm going to play with it for a while first. Still have a short punch list, but it should be taken care of by next weekend.

O5bKBQe.jpg

4EdAa6O.jpg

NICE!

I just picked up an '07 450EXC...

Came with an oversized tank, a set of Sumo wheels and Fox shock + re-valved forks. Took it out to Forrest Hill this Sunday and had a blast despite too many people and too much red dust.

Did not consider punching it out to a 525, but I like the way you think.

Not replacing my 250 XC-W, but it's still a lot of fun and it has a plate.

^^^That's the one to get right there, best of the RFS and factory plated. Yours looks great and nice score on the accessories! Mine came with sumo wheels as well, but I'm not gonna keep 'em. Did you sell the XR650L? No need for the tank? And what sprockets are you running on the KTM?

^^^That's the one to get right there, best of the RFS and factory plated. Yours looks great and nice score on the accessories! Mine came with sumo wheels as well, but I'm not gonna keep 'em. Did you sell the XR650L? No need for the tank? And what sprockets are you running on the KTM?

Yea, I just couldn't deal with XRL so I sold it. Sorry about the tank situation, I was trying to get excited about the bike but it wasn't happening.

You should be able to get at least $500 for the sumo wheels, maybe $750 or more? That's huge...take it right off the purchase price.

14/45 on the 450. Felt about right at Forrest Hill.

I just put a 48 on the 250 XCW and I'm in love with it.

I'd love to get your take on the cost vs. benefit of the 525 conversion. Is a cylinder and piston all it needs or is there more involved?

No worries on the tank! I struggled *a lot* with the dual sport thing and decided that I just couldn't be happy with such a heavily compromised bike like an XRL. You really need at least two; the hardcore trail machine with a plate, then something bigger. Three would really be better.

14/45 sounds pretty tall, but maybe the primary gearing compensates.

I'm aiming for $750, they're KTM OEM Behr ready to drop in with RK gold chain. Selling them will make the price of the bike a little easier to swallow and free up some cash for other stuff.

The 525 conversion, times like this you just love KTM! I believe that literally the only differences are cylinder, piston and stickers on the airbox. There may be a jetting change as well, but really it's about as plug & play as you can get. My understanding is that it's not really an 'upgrade' per se, it's just trading revs for grunt, which is what I really dig about the 4T's.

Crap! I meant 14/50, I have a 45 on the Sumo wheels.

Mine are the OEM KTM Behr wheels, too. You might get more for those? I think I'm gonna keep them for now and possibly try the track at Prairie city? We'll see. They make better street rims anyway, cush drive. Speaking of, have you checked the splines on the counter shaft yet?

Can't agree more on the XRL. It's a cool bike, fine for fire road use and some light off road work. I just don't have the skill or strength required to manhandle a bike like that in any thing hard core.

More low end grunt sounds good to me, I just have to weigh the cost.

Yeah, the OEM 525 cylinders are ridiculous! If I do the 525 swap, I'll probably try to find a complete bike and either swap and sell it as a 450, or keep it for spares, or keep it as a buddy bike.

Rut roh, I was unaware of a spline issue with the countershaft, off to Google...

Ya my XRL is a lazy fuck, its always taking naps on the trail. I love how simple it is so I just keep riding it. By the way the 40mm FCR carb I threw on really woke this bike up, but im getting 29 mpg so it needs somemore tuning.

Back