• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

What did you do to your dirty bike today?

Super short video of the Alta zipping by. That thing sounds COOL.

[youtube]9QlSqUjdH-Q[/youtube]

Finally took the bikes off the trailer to facilitate changing the front over on the DR350 from the dual sport IRC to an actual dirt tire.

Oh... and... Turns out that bad jump off the waterbar last weekend actually resulted in a broken rib. Not too bad for only my second real outing riding dirt.

And so I'm looking at options for rib/chest protection here in the next few weeks.... I hear lots of good things about Tekvest. Any of you use their stuff? Comments?

I invite all you guys to ride the Alta. I trust you unconditionally. Plus I know where you live. Maybe. I can always have Tim put a hit on you.

OK, I will have to consider you each individually, and toss those aside who are not worthy.

I think have a good plan for testing at Metcalf... I'll ride with "you" on Horseshoe, and if you are competent, you can ride my fifteen thousand dollar dirtbike...

It is pretty funny how easy it is to ride. I really don't worry about someone with skills.

You guys have to try this thing. It is silly fun.

OK Butch, I'll do your rock garden testing. I promise I won't get it near any bodies of water.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCPbJhmen6w
[youtube]hCPbJhmen6w[/youtube]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3mokzkbVEo
[youtube]H3mokzkbVEo[/youtube]

Those were from today's short, "easy" break-in ride of my new top end. Well, going down a rocky canyon doesn't put much of a load on it.

The temperature is down and my jetting is lean. The bike stalled twice early in the ride, after warm-up, and needed choke to restart and continue to really warm-up.

I also checked the oil on my thumper. It seems to have burned some oil.

Spending my time/$$$ on getting my new-to-me 2007 WR250F ready to go. Bike was in overall decent condition, but needed some TLC before I was cool with riding it.

First thing was to have Catalyst Reaction do the suspension. Rear shock was leaking from a blown seal, the forks had the wrong weight oil and the previous owner twiddled all the knobs to lower the seat rather then set it up to work properly. The preload on the shock spring was completely out so the spring was actually lose. :laughing

Next up: clean it. It wasn't horribly dirty, but I like my bikes clean. Oh man, do I wish I owned a pressure washer.

Right now I'm rebuilding the carb. The bike starts up without any issues, but it's got all the problems that stock bikes have with the accelerator pump. Previous owner had done the grey wire/throttle stop mod, but looks like the jet/needle is stock. So dropping in a JD jet kit and a few extra bits (upgraded accelerator spring & newer version of the pump) to try and fix the throttle response.

Can't wait to take it out and get dirty. :teeth

I rode mine today. I get all twitchy if I don't ride avery day or so.
I'm Butch, and I am a dirt a holic.

Spending my time/$$$ on getting my new-to-me 2007 WR250F ready to go. Bike was in overall decent condition, but needed some TLC before I was cool with riding it.

First thing was to have Catalyst Reaction do the suspension. Rear shock was leaking from a blown seal, the forks had the wrong weight oil and the previous owner twiddled all the knobs to lower the seat rather then set it up to work properly. The preload on the shock spring was completely out so the spring was actually lose. :laughing

Next up: clean it. It wasn't horribly dirty, but I like my bikes clean. Oh man, do I wish I owned a pressure washer.

Right now I'm rebuilding the carb. The bike starts up without any issues, but it's got all the problems that stock bikes have with the accelerator pump. Previous owner had done the grey wire/throttle stop mod, but looks like the jet/needle is stock. So dropping in a JD jet kit and a few extra bits (upgraded accelerator spring & newer version of the pump) to try and fix the throttle response.

Can't wait to take it out and get dirty. :teeth

Did the YZ throttle stop and JD jetting kit on my 09. It really woke it up. If the pipe/muffler is beat up I have a stock one basically brand new you can have. Also have a spare shop manual if you want it.

Last edited:
Did the YZ throttle stop and JD jetting kit on my 09. It really woke it up. If the pipe/muffler is beat up I have a stock one basically brand new you can have. Also have a spare shop manual if you want it.

I will have to take you up on that. Previous owner powder coated the muffler black and it looks like crap. If you've got a spare shop manual that will save me from printing out the other half of it. :laughing

Just bought this b***h

I've wanted a dirt bike my whole life. Came across this fine 09 ktm 250 and holy shite this is going to be fun! I went to Hollister and Penny Pines and had a blast. I would love to meet up and tag along with some Barfers out there. I live in the North Bay. When and where are folks riding? :twofinger
Thanks todd

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
I ride Metcalf and Hollister pretty regullarly. There is a SBR Tour de Troll on Saturday...

Eh, a couple days late, but test rode my buddy's TE250 at Hollister on Sunday. I think I fell in love with this thing.

Attachments

• te250.jpg
    te250.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 31
I really dig it. Seat height is tall, but perfect for me (6'3") and the power is more than I need as a relatively inexperienced dirt rider.

I think I'll buy it. :teeth

I've wanted a dirt bike my whole life. Came across this fine 09 ktm 250 and holy shite this is going to be fun! I went to Hollister and Penny Pines and had a blast. I would love to meet up and tag along with some Barfers out there. I live in the North Bay. When and where are folks riding? :twofinger
Thanks todd

Sweet, nice pick up, that thing looks good.

What exactly is your strategy with the tie downs? Trying to make it look like a drunk spider's web? :laughing

Ha! My tie down strategy is evolving to say the least. I am trying to still build up my confidence hauling the bike on the back of the carrier. My track bike always goes inside my honda element but this dirt bike won't make it in. So on the back she goes. I tried to secure the carrier with a really long strap and effed up the whole aesthetics of the pic. Doh.:smoking

How do you like those?

Well, I only have the one ride on them so far, but a-ok.

I can give a better opinion once I have more time with them.

I thought it was about time to give an update on my experience w/ the Tubliss system. I'm on my 3rd set of tires, for a total of 2,144 miles / 115.3 hours and I have a some insight...

I run the Bridgestone M59 front, I don't plan on switching. I set it to 8 psi, any less and I don't like the feel. Feels like I'm riding with a flat tire, the bike doesn't want to lean over into turns. 8 is my balance of great front grip and non-squishy feeling. I replaced the first tire at 891mi / 48.5hr, and the second after 1176 / 63.

Rear tire is the Sedona MX907. I keep telling myself that I'll try another rear tire, just to see how it is. But then when it's time to change, another 907 just keeps showing up on my door step. I just can't get away from it because it performs excellent, it's durable, it's carcass is stiff, the knobs don't chunk, and it's only 63 freakin' dollars. I run it with 4 psi. Traction is great and it doesn't feel squishy. Next time I think I might try the Shinko 505 Hybrid Cheater tire. Or maybe the Dunlop AT81. Or not. Replaced first Sedona after 634 / 34.5. The second one I damn near wore down to a slick after 1082 / 57.6.

In all those miles I have suffered only one puncture. Got a flat on the front. I could tell it was flat but I just kept riding another few miles until the group stopped to regroup. As the manufacturer claims, you can run them completely flat with no danger of damaging the wheel or the tire coming off the rim. I plugged it with a sticky rope, had a snack while the cement dried and we were off again. I kept an eye on the pressure all week in the garage, and surprisingly it wasn't leaking, so I kept riding on it. Eventually, the plug failed again on the trail. I re-plugged it, then replaced the tire. That's why the first M59 only went 891 miles.
This is definitely one potential down side to Tubliss. Unlike tubes, if you suffer tire damage you can't reliably repair, you have to replace the tire. Flats don't seem to be much of a problem where I ride. It's fairly rare that the group has to stop to repair a flat. So, not a big deal to me.

Tire sealant is a hotly debated topic amongst Tubliss riders. Some people claim Slime is essential as it will seal up a small puncture and you'll never even know about it. Or if the puncture is bigger, it helps identify the hole. Additionally it will help keep an air tight seal on the low pressure chamber.
I ran sealant at first, but I found that all it did was make a huge god damn mess during tire changes. It gets all over the garage floor and completely covers the inner liner and rim. I have now quit using sealant.

I will admit there is a learning curve to changing tires with Tubliss. It's a little tougher in the beginning, but once you learn how, it's easier because you don't have to wrestle the tube into the tire, then worry about pinching it with the irons.
The roughest part getting the first bit of tire up off the rim. You have to be really careful not to grab the red inner liner with the iron. This is tough because the liner and tire have spent a lot of time pressed together by 100+ psi and they are quite cozy. If you grab the red liner and pull it over the rim along with the tire, you risk damaging it's bead. But more likely is that you also grab the high pressure inner bladder with the iron and pinch it. That's what I did on the first tire I changed.
I learned a few things that day: a) again, be careful to only grab the tire with the iron, it can be a little frustrating. b) shoot a little air into the inner bladder to make sure it doesn't leak while the system is all apart. If you put everything back together and it leaks, you have to take everything apart and start over... c) have spare inner bladders on hand (they are only $15).
When I changed the front tire just the other day, the inner bladder had a leak at the base of the valve stem. I think that the rubber had just degraded, and the high pressure was keeping it pressed together and air tight. I used what I learned and discovered the leak while it was off, and threw in my spare bladder. No big deal.

In the end there are a lot of variables, and I think every rider has to weigh the pros and cons for their individual situation and decide if they want to go for it.
For me, the list of cons hasn't really been that long. I don't think the system is that difficult to work with. I haven't had any major problems and they have been very reliable for me on the trail.
The list of pros, far outweighs any minor cons, for me. The exceptional performance is of course the greatest pro. Sometimes it's almost like I'm cheating. I start to feel bad when the people I'm riding with are struggling, spinning their wheels to get up that hill or over that obstacle, then I just breeze right up it. Additional nice perks I enjoy: I don't carry an axle wrench, tire irons, spare tube, or patch kit in my pack anymore. Tubliss is lighter than UHD tubes. Excellent rim protection even at 0 psi.

There you have it.

/manifesto

Ha! My tie down strategy is evolving to say the least. I am trying to still build up my confidence hauling the bike on the back of the carrier. My track bike always goes inside my honda element but this dirt bike won't make it in. So on the back she goes. I tried to secure the carrier with a really long strap and effed up the whole aesthetics of the pic. Doh.:smoking

Mine is still evolving too! Bought these Canyon Dancer strap rings a few days ago on Amazon to help put some more anchor points on the bike. They're meant for forks but probably won't go there on my setup.

41apttAbXuL.jpg

Last edited:
Back