• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

What did you do to your dirty bike today?

Next question: what is the best way to secure grips to the bars?

I use brake cleaner as lube to get them on, then it evaporates; both are real clean so they stick together OK. I then safety wire in two places.

Had an old MX buddy that used to get too much arm pump; his trick to get rid of it? Use WD on the grips so they slip, then you get good at putting your body in the right place and not forcing the bars. Never tried it but he was a pretty good rider.....

I use brake cleaner as lube to get them on, then it evaporates; both are real clean so they stick together OK. I then safety wire in two places.

Had an old MX buddy that used to get too much arm pump; his trick to get rid of it? Use WD on the grips so they slip, then you get good at putting your body in the right place and not forcing the bars. Never tried it but he was a pretty good rider.....

Thanks. You guys rock.
Though the concept that you shouldn't need glue is the best... Really actually and all that shit. I may go with that.

Pro tip: don't use WD-40 on the throttle side. Having the throttle grip slip is NOT good.

Previous owner scored up the throttle side handlebar pretty badly to the point where the throttle tube itself wants to stick on some of the ridges / scrapes on the bar. No idea how he did it.. piss poor attempt at throttle tube removal? Even having filed them down, it sticks... so...

I'd like to get some new bars. Currently have decent 7/8" hand guards that I don't necessarily want to abandon to switch over to 1 1/8" stuff.

Any suggestions for 7/8" bars? Seems like most of the cheaper stuff bends easily. I don't throw my bike off rocky cliffs just yet, but I also don't want something that'll bend from a simple drop.

I suspect Renthal or Pro-Taper aluminum bars would suffice? Most seem to think that they work out well enough.

Renthals for 7/8" but I think I bent one once at Carnegie.

1 1/8" bars are the shit. I've never seen one bent until Sasquatch bent an OEM KTM bar at Moab.

Got a Amazon knockoff x mount/charger for my phone installed on the husky. Just need to solder up some connectors to connect it to my fusible link from the battery and make a connection for a battery tender.
Got most of my replacement parts for the KTM, unfortunately they sent me plastics for an 11' sx not a 2000 exc. Still waiting on the new/used subframe.

Got my front Tubliss, took off my front wheel, but it's tool cold to change tires. I brought the wheel in the house to warm up the tire and I'm keeping the new Shinko 546 in the house. I may have to bring a portable space heater to the garage to install the Tubliss and Shinko.

Edit to add: I dropped off my shock at TWF for a refresh.

Last edited:
YZ250:
Picked up my refreshed shock from TWF and installed the 5.3 spring and installed the shock in the bike. Installed front Tubliss and Shinko 546 tire. This Tubliss didn't come with rim tape so I used electrical tape. It also didn't come with a hole plug.

The Shinko front is an 80/100 tire. I got it instead of the 90. The knob pattern is just like the Michelin S12XC I removed, with slightly different sizing/spacing.

Removed front tube and irons from the fender pack. Yes!

WR450F:
Aired up the tires, added fuel, and tried to start it with the pussy button. WTF? Started first kick. Why the hell do these shitpiles have starters and batteries if they don't work? I know, I know, they work when warm. Usually.

Set up the front fender pack (tube, pump, patches, irons) and rear tool pack.

WR450F:
Aired up the tires, added fuel, and tried to start it with the pussy button. WTF? Started first kick. Why the hell do these shitpiles have starters and batteries if they don't work? I know, I know, they work when warm.

My 250x and drz400s start right up with the button, cold or warm. :p

Put some new tires on... Bridgestones X30's...

mZjGyYe.jpg

I went for a real ride to test the capabilities of my garage queen WR450F. I found the capabilities and now I need to order parts and make repairs.

Today was a good day. I didn't have to use my AK. I came back with a stowaway branch I didn't know about, no front brake pressure, and a likely warped disk.

IMG_20161125_135918663_HDR-M.jpg
IMG_20161125_140050938-M.jpg

IMG_20161125_135943169_HDR-M.jpg

Here's the downhill that did the damage. Right at the bottom you can see the rocks I ran into, after being bounced off course by the earlier, smaller rocks.

IMG_20161125_131610820_HDR-L.jpg

I'm going to ask about my front brake in the Garage forum.

Last edited:
Adjusted the rekluse on the husky and hit the trails by white pine lake in arnold.....felt good other than blown forks and not riding it for over a year. Trails are sweet too....other than riding with a trials tire @20lb+ in some clay

Went riding again! Ate shit off of the last of a series of water bar jumps and somehow didn't break my collarbone in the process.

To top it off, found a great condition cush drive DR350 wheel on eBay with a near new D606 (~$87 for that alone) for ~$105 to my door. Cush drive will get the BT45 for the street duty, and I'll be able to set up the current non-cush rear & front for full time dirt duty with appropriate sprockets & chain.

All of these folks refreshing their top ends prior to this trip. It's like we all learned from my mistake. :p

Back