• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

What did you do to your dirty bike today?

I had been riding the DR350 off road with what was essentially street supermoto gearing. It sort of worked, given the ease of most of the trails I'd been riding, but my OHV riding has progressed, and it was time I gave myself a little lower gearing lest I kill my clutch.

I found a cush hub DR350 wheel with a very low mile Dunlop D606 (can still see the mold release) already spooned on for ~$100 to my door. I plan to use that cush hub exclusively with my front 17" SM setup, which means now I'll have designated wheel sets for both dirt and supermoto. Awesome!

Yesterday, I ordered myself some proper OHV geared sprockets and a new chain which should making swapping wheels a little easier. Also threw in some fork oil, because god knows how long it has been since that was changed by the previous owner. Eventually I'll get in there to check bushings, but seals etc look fine right now.

Washed it after riding Carnegie yesterday. Basically it's like a little pony that's constantly trying to buck you off while thinking: "Why is this fat ass on my back".

32340808116_8d41ccfb45_c.jpg

I got the Alta kinda dirty today riding at Carnegie. 35 miles, 2.5 hours, depleted most the charge. A few areas were pretty slick. Mostly very very good. Big fun.

IMG_0572.jpg

Installed R&D power bowl 2 today on my 250f. I have always been skeptical but those who have it like it, and reviews seem to say the same.

With the JD jet kit installed already the bike was great but still had some bog under hard acceleration. Installing the powerbowl, AP, diaphragm spring, and detent spring was straight forward. Tuned the leak jet riding around my neighborhood around a #50 or #60. Jetting is as crisp as I have ever felt on a Keihin FCR. I can open the throttle wide open with 0 bog. Throttle response has increased noticeably and the small amount of deceleration popping i had is gone. Also added some blue vent hoses as mine were fairly brittle.

I can't wait to hit the dirt so long as the rain allows this coming weekend. :teeth

I bought a soft seat....
It doesent fit!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    147.7 KB · Views: 25
And the clip doesent fit.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
I am about to remove a fork leg to replace a seal...

Did a bunch of stuff to my Beta 300.

Went one rate up in spring rates front and rear(0.44/5.6), Installed Goldentyre "fatty" front with a UHD tube, put numbers on, change trans oil and gave a it a good once over. I'll be installing tubliss on the rear wheel tomorrow along with new IRC M5B since it looks to be muddy this coming weekend.

100hr refresh of the 300.

Piston, rings, high comp head, new pipe, all new bearings, new rotors, pads, front master cylinder, chain, sprockets, suspension revalve by Factory Connection, replace corroded bolts...

I went on internet lore for ring/piston service- I'll tell you that I don't know how people get 300hrs out of a top end like they claim. These rings were shagged. I'm going to replace in 50hrs!

Doing anti-rain dance now. I want to ride!

Washed the DR350 on Saturday, and then proceeded to get it muddy again on Sunday. Ditched the lowlands this time and went to Brushy Mountain Motorsports park in northwestern NC.

I'd been riding at a place in the hills of South Carolina, but this was my first time riding in way more technical (and dangerous) terrain. Massive hill climbs with loose rocks, huge descents (also with loose rocks), nasty switchbacks with immediate steep climbs/descents, and so on.

[youtube]wR21_vHP6iE[/youtube]

^ Not my video, but I rode that section today. As always, it's steeper than it looks.

Only dropped the bike once, and ended up hooking up with two old dudes who said they were slow. (They weren't.) Learned a bit more about riding, and my skill set definitely improved. I was pretty bummed last time I rode due to how ATV/side-by-side populated the SC OHV has become. They rut the hell out of the trails, and I left the last place with a headache, and not a big sense of having had any fun. Was about ready to remove the dirt wheels and reinstall my SuMo stuff... But.. In comparison, this place is way more technical, and is probably 95% dirt bike riders.

Honestly had a great ride today, and look forward to doing it again. That said... Places like this are leading me to the realization that my DR350 is a little bit portly. I'd put it right under 300lbs? While light for a street bike, it really shows its weight on these technical trails. Upgrade? Who knows. Told myself I'd stick with it until I finish up my PhD. We'll see if that holds true.

Last edited:
That looks like a great place to ride. Now I kind of want to go visit my brother in NC. :laughing

I decided I was going to try and cut some weight off my DRZ today.

Step 1:
Eat a light breakfast

Step 2:

Step 3:
ZCtHVFF.png

Very happy with my progress.

Rode Metcalf, 35 miles of singletrack.The same stuff, 2 and a half times... Met a nice girl who just started dirt riding. Patricia, i think. Invited her to BARF.

Step 1:
Eat a light breakfast

Step 2:

Step 3:
ZCtHVFF.png

Very happy with my progress.

That works! Congratulations!

WoodsChick

Installed a lowering link, new plug, changed out the gas, today is valve adjust. Bike isn't mine yet but will be soon :teeth

Congrats! Super jelly!

I rode the dirty bike yesterday, first time out in a bit. Washed the bike/gear and will do the filter today. Feeling sore, but it's a good sore. :ride

Back