• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

What did you do to your dirty bike today?

Ordered parts for TLR 200 and CRF 230
Hopefully said parts will be installed this week.

XR400 - Finally changed the oil after Baja and StonyBarf and a few commute rides.

Still need to put on my new MotoZ Desert HT's before the SheetIron and adjust my valves.

KLR650 - changed oil adjusted the doo..

Cleaned the chain and oiled it after much neglect. Topped off fuel. Adjusted head light and fixed tail light. Rode to the store to buy some beer and spent much of the ride bouncing off curbs and wheelies every clear chance I could.

+1 to plated dirt bikes.

Finally got around to inspecting the '06 CRF250X. It was having problems starting cold off the e-start. It would take some kicks but would start cold. If the engine was hot, it would start off e-start but as it cooled it would be harder and harder to start.

I planned on doing a compression test and checking the valves today. My compression tester didn't fit the spark plug so I wasn't able to do that. The spark plug definitely needs to be changed as it is black, but I doubt that is the problem that I am experiencing.

I went on to check the valves. I definitely want to give a shoutout to the great tutorial on crfs only. Checking the valves is super easy and a lot of fun!

As I was removing everything, I noticed the vent hose was off the valve cover. This was quite annoying because a job that should take 15 minutes now took 2 hours due to cleaning everything to Cabrito's standards :thumbup. After that was done, the clearances are:

Left Intake: 0.005" (spot on)
Right Intake: Couldn't get anything under the cam shaft :thumbdown
Left Exhaust: 0.010" (-0.001 under spec)
Right Exhaust: 0.012" (+0.001 over spec)

Everything is within tolerance, but the right intake. I doubt it is 0.000, but when you get so thin it is hard to manuever the gauge. With that said, I am sure that is causing my problems. CRFs are notorious for valve problems, and I bought the bike used so I don't know if they replaced the valves or not. Even though I would love to do the work myself, the great summer months are slowly ticking bye so I am going to take it into the shop. If they aren't already done, I want to put in the kibble white valves.

Does anything have a favorite shop for doing engine work in the peninsula? I am in San Mateo and don't mind driving if there is go to person.

Thanks!

Others will chime in but back in the day Engines Only in San Jose was a great shop.

Mike -

I have been using Craig Hanson, but he is all the way up in Chico. Engine Dynamics in Petaluma is who most folks I know use in the North Bay. As Kibble White is in Pacifica, they may have local peninsula referral for you. When you are doing the valves, wouldnt hurt to freshen up the rest of the top end with pistons, rings, timing chain. Cylinder plating if needed.

This is my first post in the dirty barf section. I picked up a 2002 CR250R about 6 weeks ago. It needed a bit of work because the previous owner never did any real maintenance on it. I should've documented the process along the way but didn't think about it at the time.

I took the shock to RMC Moto (barf sponsor) to get rebuilt but then it took a little detour...

Powder-coated spring, Cerakote for the shock body, and polished lower mount. It looks much better than the 15 y.o. gold-ish color shock and yellow spring. :cool

Attachments

• 20170502_192355.jpg
    20170502_192355.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
This is my first post in the dirty barf section. I picked up a 2002 CR250R about 6 weeks ago.
Good bike, bad carb. If you find yourself chasing jetting problems, just toss the Mikuni and get a Keihin.

1117220553_dc2329e191_o-L.jpg

It's been over 20 years since my last dirt bike (YZ250). This one has been a fun rebuild/restoration project. Can't wait to take it out for a spin and get it dirty. I'll post a few pics of it soon.:ride

I loaded it in my truck, tomorrow I'll attempt to ride it.

I'm loading mine now. I'll be at Hollister at 10, Vintage track...

I mean to tell you once you start polishing you are in for it as a job.

I used a drill and 3" buffing pad. :cool

Here's a pic that I took today. Only thing left to do is update the front fender/plate, seat and graphics.

Attachments

• My 2002 CR250R.jpg
    My 2002 CR250R.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Back