• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

What did you do to your dirty bike today?

I have a HF trailer with many miles on it. I've gone through one set of fender brackets. You can order new brackets from Harbor Freight over the phone. They're like 6 dollars each, I wound up buying like 4 of them or something. You can also drill another set of holes in the brackets if you want to make it last longer. One of mine cracked where the bolts go in so I just drill another set of holes higher and it lowers the fender a bit.

Also you can get a piece of strapping metal the kind with holes in it or just a steel or aluminum bracket and bolt it to one side of the fender and bolt the other to the frame. It'll give it a 3rd mounting point and keep the fender from vibrating as much.

If you can find some lightweight plastic or fiber glass fenders to bolt on that probably would be ideal. The fenders are really the only weak thing about the trailer that and the deck but that's something you need to do on your own anyway. I forked out $150 for a new deck that was marine grade plywood, hopefully this one holds out longer than the last deck I installed o_O'

Last edited:
It's not legal to run a trailer without fenders, and they help keep rocks from flying up and hitting cars and possibly motorcyclists.

And gravel will shatter your rear window. I know from experience last summer! Expensive lesson. Replacement fenders are cheap online when an if they do break off.

If you fold the trailer up and store it indoors, it'll probably last for the life of the trailer.

Paint it and be done with it. I went to Home Depot and looked at all of the returned paint on the discount rack. Found a nice shade of grey, and voila..

If you're using Harbor Freightvwheel chicks keep an eye on the weld where the tubing catches the tire. Tgat tubing is hollow and will break especially if you're running knibbied in the towed bikes and do a lot of heavy breaking.

I replaced my rear Maxxis Desert IT with a wide open knobby for StonyBarf. I normally can run the Maxxis through Stonybarf and often the Sheetiron, but not this year. I got in 7 days of riding this year in Baja and really tore it up. Well worth it!:ride

I also moved the gearing back from 15/43 (Baja) to 15/47 (almost everywhere else).

I finally washed it after Stony BARF

I thought about washing mine. Josh got the KTM really dirty. He seemed to like to ride through puddles. He's like a kid.

Lol. Haven't washed mind, since I'm riding Hollister tomorrow anyway.

Yup, I will be stopping at the car wash on my way home tomorrow evening, I suspect.

I spent about 1.5 minutes hosing the StonyBARF mud off; didn't do a very good job. Cleaned the chain, changed the air filter, filled with gas and ready for Moonrocks tomorrow.

Moonrocks. I need to come up and ride with you and 2SYS sometime.

I spent about 1.5 minutes hosing the StonyBARF mud off; didn't do a very good job. Cleaned the chain, changed the air filter, filled with gas and ready for Moonrocks tomorrow.

I hosed mine off in about the same amount of time. Fortunately the mud isn't clay there in stony so it comes off easily. I don't think I even cleaned my chain but I will lube it before storing it tomorrow evening.

Aaron, how do you deal with a muddy bike inside the van? Is it easy to wash out?

I'll be breaking in my new boots. Can't wait. They feel so much better than my 10 year old street boots. New ones are white..but not for long!

Yesterday:
Glued my vent tube to my Tusk fuel cap. (It's a thing; do it if you have a Tusk cap.) That's after losing the Tusk vent. Aired up the Tublisses and packed the fender bags with tools and tire repair crap.

Today:
Went for a ride in hero dirt and mud. Got one fork seal leaking immediately and the other shortly thereafter. FFFFFFUUUUUUU! Came back and used my SealMate to clean the obviously dirt seals and the tip of the SealMate broke off and left itself in the fork. FFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUU! Scrubbed the chain, and used the hell out the power washer. Found a footpeg tooth (screw-in with some kind of reverse Torx tool I don't have) in my driveway. Cleaned it, LocTited it and screwed it back in with pliers. Oops I guess I should have blow-dried the hole. I put the bike on my lift table and cinched it down and the forks haven't leaked yet. Just checked, still not leaking. And I even bounced them after washing. Hmm, maybe the broken plastic piece is not stuck in there.

Today I tried my new bike out at Hollister, and it was awesome!! Can't wait to get some footage later.

17952653_10210139555460234_1373081764700277203_n.jpg

17952828_10210139555980247_4366137777251483904_n.jpg

17951673_10210139558220303_759973445088062688_n.jpg

Adjusted vales / changed shims
Replaced coolant
Changed oil / filter
New levers, with a wrap of pipe tape on the bars (factory pro tip)
New tires

Came back and used my SealMate to clean the obviously dirt seals and the tip of the SealMate broke off and left itself in the fork. FFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUU! Scrubbed the chain, and used the hell out the power washer. Found a footpeg tooth (screw-in with some kind of reverse Torx tool I don't have) in my driveway. Cleaned it, LocTited it and screwed it back in with pliers. Oops I guess I should have blow-dried the hole.

On the bright side, the extra moisture will ensure the threadlocker is fully cured. :laughing

Also, I highly recommend the motion pro seal driver when you replace those fork seals.

pita. Installed new fork brace and fender(newly painted), forgot to scuff up the fiberglass so the paint is not sticking too well.Flushed out brown gunk from forks, cleaned out with a little bit of diesel then put in new oil, works great. New brake shoes in front, yes shoes, and new cable. Forks work fine now, brake is good for what it is... hyd disc brakes are sooo much better.

Drained brown gunk that was supposed to be crankcase oil, and cleaned crap off of filter. added new.

Adjusted points 2x as I had forgotten how finicky they are and screwed them up the first time.

Went thru carburetor 2x as the first time I put the bowl float needle jet thingy in backwards the first time and fuel ran out like a river.

Cleaned air filter

Runs fine now, but seems underpowered, I think the valves need adjustment.

Kept telling myself not to ocd on it and just use it.

1976 TL 250 trails bike...

Back