• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

What did you do to your dirty bike today?

:laughing
Bummer that you got roped into driving. :thumbdown
I might have room for olive oil in my side cases. Need anything from my place?

Anything to keep G and the boss happy:) I'll load up a case. Can you have campfires? And I ment normal one's, not CJ sized.

Campfires are fine at Stony. There are even a few spots with legit fire pits. Hopefully, someone will get up there early enough to grab one. What can I bring you in exchange for the olive oil?

Campfires are fine at Stony. There are even a few spots with legit fire pits. Hopefully, someone will get up there early enough to grab one. What can I bring you in exchange for the olive oil?

Nothing, I really have everything I need, excepting if you can fit two months of vacation in your side case!

I can bring some things for you to take back home with you! Need any ladders, pallets or picking boxes?

I need oily goodness :)

Also to clarify for folks, the girly things are industrial crane baskets :laughing
It'll be good to see you :love

I picked up a 2007 525exc recently that had been sitting in a garage for 10 years. it had 16 original hours on it and it was clean enough to eat off. it wasn't running so I cleaned and jd jet kitted the carb, cleaned the gas tank, installed a new petcock, removed the emissions crap, added a flexjet air-fuel adjuster, added fork bleeders, changed the oil, installed a lithium ion battery and it fired right up. the bike came with the exhaust de-restricted, gpr stabilizer, enduro engineering soft seat, power now and power now plus valves installed, boyesen qiuckshot cover, crankcase breather, oil and filters, air filters, 13t front sprocket, and some other goodies. over 11 grand in receipts from moore and sons. the first ride I went on saw a lot of choking out when I rolled off the throttle but after a very simple valve adjustment she runs like a beast. my goal is to ride this bike in baja next year.

Todays list of add ons include a ktm radiator fan, ht racing oil cooler, coolant overflow recovery tank, pro moto kickstand cuz the stock one sucks, trail tech stator, and a new sicass start/kill switch. I have beer and a bbq if anybody wants to wrench on their bike too.

Attachments

• IMG_6410.JPG
    IMG_6410.JPG
    166.7 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_6411.JPG
    IMG_6411.JPG
    144.2 KB · Views: 47
Ridiculously clean! You're hip to the nuances of the PMB kickstand?

it seems like a simple enough install. anything I should know?

The fan is well worth it. When I didn't have one at slow trail speeds the bike really warmed up to point of boil over. With the fan it runs all day without question.

I love the 07 RFS motor. I'm glad you finally got it running right! Last time I saw you this had a dying issue.. :-/

The stator should be super easy. Not really necessary but if you want to get some new (better) lights then it will for sure be needed.

I'd like to see your kill switch. Looks like nice upgrade as they are super useful when out trailing.

I would be game for bbq and wrenching but I am packing up for SI300. Are you coming out? I'd love to see how the 525 rides compared to the 450 with the same motor. that 13T you should be pulling the front wheel up in almost every gear.

it seems like a simple enough install. anything I should know?

They're a light duty stand. Don't sit/stand/whatever on the bike with the stand down and avoid allowing it to slam into its hard stop. Get in the habit of gently putting it up/down. I use my hand most of the time. They're very nice kickstands and made well, you just can't treat them like a steel kickstand on a streetbike.

They're a light duty stand. Don't sit/stand/whatever on the bike with the stand down and avoid allowing it to slam into its hard stop. Get in the habit of gently putting it up/down. I use my hand most of the time. They're very nice kickstands and made well, you just can't treat them like a steel kickstand on a streetbike.

Thanks for the heads up. I was cleaning the bike on my lawn when the stock kickstand sank into the dirt and the bike tipped over. I thought I had just bent the bolt but turns out the tab that holds the lower chain roller broke off the frame. it was just spot welded and broke clean at the weld. ill fix it today. :thumbup

I'd like to see your kill switch. Looks like nice upgrade as they are super useful when out trailing.

I would be game for bbq and wrenching but I am packing up for SI300. Are you coming out? I'd love to see how the 525 rides compared to the 450 with the same motor. that 13T you should be pulling the front wheel up in almost every gear.

No SI this time. Hopefully ill be ready to go next time.

So I decided to do both the lights/ horn switch and the start/ kill switch. My stock kill wasn't working and I wanted to be able to turn off my headlight when not needed. Switches work great. Cleans up the bars too. I love how simple this bike is to work on.

Attachments

• IMG_6414.JPG
    IMG_6414.JPG
    110.9 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_6417.JPG
    IMG_6417.JPG
    97 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_6421.JPG
    IMG_6421.JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_6424.JPG
    IMG_6424.JPG
    71.7 KB · Views: 34

Huh. I broke and rewelded my stock stand for a few years before I got my PMB, 5 years later of treating it like a "real" side stand and zero problems. I am ok kick starting on the sidestand too. I find it as good as a steel stand on an xr400. Great and necessary upgrade. Ktm's sidestand engineer must be the nephew of the CEO or something because they are the worst part of the bike and are totally unacceptable.
Ymmv.

Oh, and super jelly of your barnfind. Record the valve clearances every service and get ready to put ss valves in when they start moving. Intake valves were made of play doh on the rfs. Dave Hopkins can do your head up right and the rest will last 500 hrs...

Thanks for the info. As long as this new kickstand holds the weight of the bike i'll be happy. I cant even call it a barnfind. I rode to a friend's house and the guy down the street walked the 525 down the block and asked me if I was interested. I told him I couldn't do more than $3500 for a 10 year old bike that doesn't run. He understood.

Shiny new clutch cover and brake pedal!

20170520_1057201_zps6sflzd7k.jpg

I took my 87 RM Piece of cra.... I mean the AWESOME bike down to my sucker... I mean my really good son in SLO. He's getting back into dirt riding and wanted a cheap bike he could practice on. Last time he rode dirt he was 12. I can't kick start the stupid thing anymore, can't get my leg up high enough. Getting old sucks...

I took my 87 RM Piece of cra.... I mean the AWESOME bike down to my sucker... I mean my really good son in SLO. He's getting back into dirt riding and wanted a cheap bike he could practice on. Last time he rode dirt he was 12. I can't kick start the stupid thing anymore, can't get my leg up high enough. Getting old sucks...

IMO, everyone who considers themselves a rider needs to have a minimum of 1 year commitment to an old worn out kick start machine. It's called paying your dues. If you can't start it you can't ride it :teeth

I love my new e-start bike :love

Back