• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

YOUNG RIDER HERE IN NEED OF HELP! :)

Which bike..?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember when I sold my friend George my Hayabusa...

George had been riding a Seca 400 for about 1.5 years with only one incident where his ego wrote a check his skills couldn't cash. He got away from that unscathed and listened to his mentors... worked on his skills.

George was a bit worried about buying such a big bike, it was a huge step up from his Seca 400 to the Hayabusa, and asked me if I thought it was honestly an intelligent purchase.

My response was, "Well George, you're either going to learn to be a very mature skilled rider, or a very dead rider."

George rode the Hayabusa incident free for the next several years. :thumbup

George had been riding a Seca 400 for about 1.5 years with only one incident where his ego wrote a check his skills couldn't cash. He got away from that unscathed and listened to his mentors... worked on his skills.

George was a bit worried about buying such a big bike, it was a huge step up from his Seca 400 to the Hayabusa, and asked me if I thought it was honestly an intelligent purchase.

My response was, "Well George, you're either going to learn to be a very mature skilled rider, or a very dead rider."

1.5 years of riding vs a few months so not a good example. Not to mention I doubt you sold your bike to a 15 year old.

However your point is spot on. He will ether learn to be a good enough rider to survive to see legal drinking age or he will not.

i think you are giving this kid too much credit, if i am understanding you correctly. after all he did completely ignore everything everyone on here has said about anything, threw a fit, and in the end did exactly what he was looking for validation for anyways. sounds like a dumb teenager to me that does not believe a single word of wisdom thrown his way, just like the rest of us were.

Oh I meant that he will never have to worry about sounding like his parents as obviously his parents give him everything he wants and don't set any rules like ours did. We hated those rules at the time only to get older and wiser and repeat them to our kids, who of course think we're not fair.

slip of a wrist or clutch? Really? So....at 50mph on the freeway what is the difference between a .5 second "slip of wrist" on a 250 or a 600? My experience says....not enough to make any nominal difference. And I don't recall ever "slipping" my throttle on the street.....29 years.

Leaned over, knee dragging at 50 mph in 2nd gear ....that is different. But then again, WTF are you doing knee dragging on the street with either bike?

Slipping the clutch? What are you ricky racer on the street? Give me a break.

A friend of mines brother died to a slip of a wrist on an R1. Had the bike less than 24 hours. Was showing off at his work and a simple slip of the wrist caused the bike to wheelie up and over on top of him. He didn't have his helmet on as he was just in the parking lot. Less than 24hours, simple mistake by a noob. Could it have happened on a Ninja 250? Maybe but I doubt it.

He was 25 I believe. First bike with no experience. Everyone told him not to get such a bike. Too bad he didn't listen.

Oh I meant that he will never have to worry about sounding like his parents as obviously his parents give him everything he wants and don't set any rules like ours did. We hated those rules at the time only to get older and wiser and repeat them to our kids, who of course think we're not fair.

I am 24 and am just starting to realize how lucky I was to have parents that enforced rules. It probably kept me from killing myself.

I bought it off Geo....it's still in one piece. I still have it!! :party

Way to many know it alls posting, same people posting same thing as yesterday and the day before that :rofl do you guys even have lifes besides motos? Lol retorical question:twofinger

Way to many know it alls posting, same people posting same thing as yesterday and the day before that :rofl do you guys even have lifes besides motos? Lol retorical question:twofinger

Yep. :thumbup

A friend of mines brother died to a slip of a wrist on an R1. Had the bike less than 24 hours. Was showing off at his work and a simple slip of the wrist caused the bike to wheelie up and over on top of him. He didn't have his helmet on as he was just in the parking lot. Less than 24hours, simple mistake by a noob. Could it have happened on a Ninja 250? Maybe but I doubt it.

Ninja 250 Curb Weight 374.9 lbs

R1 curb weight 454 lbs.

Difference 80lbs.

I'm guessing that if you dropped 374 pounds on your skull and 454 lbs. on your skull, you would sustain a fatal crush to your skull.

The helmet, or lack thereof, killed your friend. Sorry for your loss.

No Ninja 250 I've ever seen will do a power-on wheelie.

My 1979 YZ80 could do a power on wheelie (and it did loop once when I grabbed a handful in 1st). While I understand the point of a power wheelie and how a ninja 250 would take an extreme amount of skill to get it to the threshold that quickly, many here seem to miss the concept that there is nothing statistically out there that says a ninja 250 is less hazardous than an R-6. I've been at T-Hill on an SV and an RZ race bike and have had 250 Ninja's keeping pace through the corners.

Someone chooses to not wear a helmet or go fast on the street is going to do so regardless of the bike they choose.

It appears OP bought the bike he wanted anyway. Good on BARF for beating the kid over the head to the point he never comes back because you all brow beat him over his choice rather than take the opportunity to welcome him and remind him to ATGATT and be careful.:thumbdown

Not everyone wants a fucking ninja 250 - I hate to break it to ya folks who swear to god by them..... but you aren't saving lives.

My 1979 YZ80 could do a power on wheelie (and it did loop once when I grabbed a handful in 1st). While I understand the point of a power wheelie and how a ninja 250 would take an extreme amount of skill to get it to the threshold that quickly, many here seem to miss the concept that there is nothing statistically out there that says a ninja 250 is less hazardous than an R-6. I've been at T-Hill on an SV and an RZ race bike and have had 250 Ninja's keeping pace through the corners.

Someone chooses to not wear a helmet or go fast on the street is going to do so regardless of the bike they choose.

It appears OP bought the bike he wanted anyway. Good on BARF for beating the kid over the head to the point he never comes back because you all brow beat him over his choice rather than take the opportunity to welcome him and remind him to ATGATT and be careful.:thumbdown

Not everyone wants a fucking ninja 250 - I hate to break it to ya folks who swear to god by them..... but you aren't saving lives.

Hurt report disagrees with you:

The large displacement motorcycles are underrepresented in accidents but they are associated with higher injury severity when involved in accidents.

I want to go out and have my first slope I ever try to ski be a double black diamond. What you want isn't always what's best for you. Admittedly, some people get a little too much joy out of beating down on people from a position of moral superiority, but the core idea of getting a 250 is a damn good one, it's cheap, easy to resell, and much more forgiving of newbie mistakes than an R1 or an R6. Grab a handful of brake on a 250 and it'll just dive and slow. Do it on an R6 and you will lock the front. Grab a handful of throttle and the bike will accelerate but it will keep the front end on the ground. On an R6, power wheelies. The aggressive seating position of an R6 makes it hard to keep your weight off the bars, means newbs tend to ride with poor technique, whereas a more upright bike naturally encourages less weighting of the bars.

It's your first bike, not your last. And picking a big bike that you don't know how to handle properly as your first has a tendency to make it your last. Not that I mind too much...I make a lot of money off those guys. But I'd rather have people out there enjoying riding than all the cheap projects in the world.

Last edited:
Hurt report disagrees with you:

Hurt report does not address Ninja 250's vs. 600's. What is the point of bringing that up?

In fact according to the report the most frequent accident configuration is the motorcycle proceeding straight then the automobile makes a left turn in front of the oncoming motorcycle.

So are you saying the Hurt Report says a Ninja 250 will avoid this scenario? No.....

Traffic awareness and good navigation dictates survival, not displacement.

Last edited:
there is nothing statistically out there that says a ninja 250 is less hazardous than an R-6.

Did you miss the part where I posted a study that found (statistically) that supersports were 4x as dangerous as any other category of bike? Maybe that was a different thread...

my vote is for the 07. being stock with the factory fender and blinkers your less likely to be stopped by the LEO and given tickets. its stock.

Hurt report does not address Ninja 250's vs. 600's. What is the point of bringing that up?

In fact according to the report the most frequent accident configuration is the motorcycle proceeding straight then the automobile makes a left turn in front of the oncoming motorcycle.

So are you saying the Hurt Report says a Ninja 250 will avoid this scenario? No.....

Traffic awareness and good navigation dictates survival, not displacement.

You're changing the goalposts in an attempt to dance around a position that's indefensible: A guy died because he looped out an R1 at parking lot speeds. If he had been on a 250, it's highly unlikely he would have been able to even loop it out. I'm sure it's possible, but I've never seen nor heard of someone accidentally looping out a ninja 250. Even if he had managed to loop it out, it would have occured much slower and his chances of recovery/getting out of the way of it would have been much higher.

You always bring up the argument that big bikes are just as safe as small bikes, and I disagree. So does the Hurt Report, which links higher injury severity to bigger displacement bikes. Higher injury severity with bigger displacement bikes means that they are more dangerous to ride.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back