• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

YOUNG RIDER HERE IN NEED OF HELP! :)

Which bike..?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
it's funny the different types of barf greetings u may get based on ur first post. and it'll determine if u'll be here for a while, or never come back here again

:rolleyes

Looking back now at the age of 35, I'm glad that my father didn't put up with this kind nonsense when I was 15. It took me a long time to understand why he was so hard on me, and I completely resented him for it, but he kept me alive when I was too stupid to make intelligent decisions for myself.

Thanks, Dad. You were right.

:thumbup:thumbup:thumbup Even after riding dirtbikes for years, my father wouldnt allow me to buy a sportbike as my first bike at 16. Had to prove I could ride on the street without a crash or tickets the first summer on a used LTD 440. Then went on to try and prove him wrong after that summer and bought the bike I wanted, an Intercepter 750. Well, he proved me wrong. I went down more than a philipino hooker at fleet week. Lucky for me, some experienced guys pulled me aside and convinced me to replace the 750 with an air cooled FZ600. Funny thing, I became far better rider.... faster and smoother with less HP.

OP. Take Jraice up on his offer. I understand the draw to a new supersport. But they are not easy to ride smooth or fast on the street - dirt experience or not. Crashing at Hollister aint nothing like going down on the street (and I know from experience). Its like putting a newbie on a CR500 and sending him off to some single track like troll trail. Some may be able to actually get through... but its far from an optimal to learning experience. Most of us here love sport bikes for the challenge and are all learning to be better riders, go faster, longer, etc etc be it the track or street. There are a lot of folks here that have spent more time on the track than you have been on the earth and offer some good advice. Happy to go for a ride anytime. Just PM me.

CJ

Listen, kid, check this out:

9caa926ee895d37fbb43d6af5d8623ac.png

Does that mean anything to you? No. In fact, without years of study, you'll never actually understand that. I can tell you that it's the integral form of Gauss' Law, and it deals with electric charge and magnetic fields, and I might even get you to understand how it's useful, but you'll never actually understand it. It will be years before you really, intuitively grasp its meaning.

All of the advice here is like that. You literally do not have the foundation to understand the truth that has been handed to you. In fact, you don't even have the mental context to see it as the truth that it is.

That's a great analogy. Made even better by the fact that I still have to squint at Gauss's Law and think hard to remember my math & physics :laughing

One of the most wise things my father ever said to the teen aged me:

"You can have a motorcycle as soon as you have saved enough money for your funeral."

imho no one under 25 should have R6 power or < on the street.

"You can have a motorcycle as soon as you have saved enough money for your funeral."

imho no one under 25 should have R6 power or < on the street.

The problem is that no one over 25 buys R6s to use them on the street. :laughing You trying to put yamaha out of business?

I hear you can get the best deals during winter time, It won't hurt to wait until then.

The problem is that no one over 25 buys R6s to use them on the street. :laughing You trying to put yamaha out of business?

Yup, it is ironic that a bigger bike is better for the street..

15yo + literbike ftw. RIP

Looking back now at the age of 35, I'm glad that my father didn't put up with this kind nonsense when I was 15. It took me a long time to understand why he was so hard on me, and I completely resented him for it, but he kept me alive when I was too stupid to make intelligent decisions for myself.

If I may:

When I was fourteen, I left home because my father was a fool. When I returned home at twenty-one, I was amazed at how much the old boy had learned in seven years. ----- Mark Twain

:laughing

Too soon to move up to a larger bike...you need more ride time (at least 1 year). You"ll get in trouble with the 600s

As I have said before. How many of us in our 40's and up started riding on I-4 550's, 650's 750's and 100's with shitty brakes and suspension and lived?

It's like drinking out of a garden hose as opposed to bottled water these days. Too much water will kill you, period but usually your body tells you when enough is enough. That is how it is on a 600. If you are dumb enough not to listen to your senses, then you will die.

Good luck young man. If I had this forum when I was your age, I still wouldn't have listened. You are the best judge of your own behavior.

As I have said before. How many of us in our 40's and up started riding on I-4 550's, 650's 750's and 100's with shitty brakes and suspension and lived?

That's a fallacious argument. Ever heard of survivorship bias?

It goes like this:

Everyone riding motorcycles in the 70's who died due to said shitty motorcycles, is not around to raise their hand and say, "Why in fact, I didn't survive"

"Survivorship bias is the logical error of concentrating on the people or things that "survived" some process and inadvertently overlooking those that didn't because of their lack of visibility." --Wikipedia

Lets think a bit. The 550's made around 40HP, the 650's and 750's around 70HP, and the 1000's, around 90. A modern 600 has 110HP. And excellent brakes, and a stiff frame so you can get it up to triple digits without even thinking about it.

Lets face it, the old bikes with the shitty brakes, low horsepower, and noodle frames were self-limiting. You knew when you were pushing the limits. Modern bikes? Not so much.

That's a fallacious argument. Ever heard of survivorship bias?

It goes like this:

Everyone riding motorcycles in the 70's who died due to said shitty motorcycles, is not around to raise their hand and say, "Why in fact, I didn't survive"

"Survivorship bias is the logical error of concentrating on the people or things that "survived" some process and inadvertently overlooking those that didn't because of their lack of visibility." --Wikipedia

Well, then tell us how many died since you are in research mode? Is it greater or less than those in the last ten years? Did it make any difference if they had 35 hp, 70hp, or 130 hp? Did it make any difference that they had two springs for shocks, or a single rear shock suspension with reinforced or high strength swingarm and USD forks?

I guess that argument is as fallacious as the next. But I can assure you that the rider accidents that occurred because of rider error had nothing to do with the bike, but everything to do with the rider.

In other words, the crux of the logic had more to do with "guns don't kill people, people kill people." A 600 and a 250 ninja are both capable of 100 mph which in many situations can be equal terminal velocity. So what difference does it make whether you are going 100mph on a 250 Ninja or a 600R-6? I hate the Ninja 250 argument.

Why not recommend a moped or a bicycle if you are afraid of someone hurting themselves?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back