• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Cars that make your jaw drop.

If you're looking for value might as well get a Civic. If you want a nice car get the TLX.

My point is, a loaded Accord is almost just as nice as a TLX. And I would rather tell people I own an Accord than a TLX. Most normal people (i.e. not car enthusiasts) don't know what a TLX is. You would have to say "it's that red 4-door over there" and point to it. But everyone knows what an Accord is.

Last edited:
My point is, a loaded Accord is almost just as nice as a TLX. And I would rather tell people I own an Accord than a TLX. Most normal people (i.e. not car enthusiasts) don't know what a TLX is. You would have to say "it's that red 4-door over there" and point to it. But everyone knows what an Accord is.

I sincerely don't give a shit if people know the make or model of what I drive. :twofinger

"It has four wheels and I'll stuff you in a corner." :twofinger

Beyond a shadow of a doubt, I truly hate the alphanumeric model naming structure that seemed to be started by European brands.

I continually get customers pulling in and they don’t even know what their own fucking car is called.. “Oh it’s a RDS,” which means I am walking out to the parking lot to make sure whether it’s a RSX, RDX, or a RLX.

To people who are fairly oblivious to cars, I say I have a TLX. Before I see the wheels turning and the smoke coming out of their ears, I immediately follow up and say it’s like the Accord, and then I get the “oh ok I know what that is.”

I applaud Lincoln (for however much longer they are around) for getting out of their absurd lets copy the Europeans model naming with MKX, MKZ, MKS, and whatever the hell else they have, and bringing back real names like Continental, Aviator, and now Corsair to join the Navigator.

Back on topic - I'm in the process of having this lot put back together, along with a trick AWD setup and tons of other mods. I have owned it since new in '94 and slowly worked it up to about 400AWHP before pulling the trigger on a massive tear-down and rebuild.

The motor has all forged internals, port matched headers, Stg 3 heads and should be good for 9,000RPM. The turbos, I/C, fueling etc., should be good for 650-700AWHP.

Attachments

• 20190129_105250.jpg
    20190129_105250.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 85
  • 20190327_113440.jpg
    20190327_113440.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 86
  • 20190326_194322.jpg
    20190326_194322.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 83
  • 20190205_114243.jpg
    20190205_114243.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 66
Beyond a shadow of a doubt, I truly hate the alphanumeric model naming structure that seemed to be started by European brands.

I continually get customers pulling in and they don’t even know what their own fucking car is called.. “Oh it’s a RDS,” which means I am walking out to the parking lot to make sure whether it’s a RSX, RDX, or a RLX.

To people who are fairly oblivious to cars, I say I have a TLX. Before I see the wheels turning and the smoke coming out of their ears, I immediately follow up and say it’s like the Accord, and then I get the “oh ok I know what that is.”

I applaud Lincoln (for however much longer they are around) for getting out of their absurd lets copy the Europeans model naming with MKX, MKZ, MKS, and whatever the hell else they have, and bringing back real names like Continental, Aviator, and now Corsair to join the Navigator.

I don't think the Euros started that. I can't think of any Euro car with three letters in its name. If anything it's usually one letter with some numbers after it. I think Acura just tried to be "unique" and failed.

Others not knowing what it is might actually be more of a selling point for me, not that I really care one way or the other.

I don't think the Euros started that. I can't think of any Euro car with three letters in its name. If anything it's usually one letter with some numbers after it. I think Acura just tried to be "unique" and failed.

I said alphanumeric. Euros have been doing combinations of letters and numbers for decades.

Mercedes has the most confusing model naming system. Don't know if I should be impressed or not when someone mentions the particular Mercedes they're driving.

Nothing truly spectacular yet; a new Highlander, a new Outback, revised Jag XE, special edition Alfa's, and the Chiron for the 1% of the 1%...

https://www.carscoops.com/tag/new-york-auto-show/

While I'm not a huge fan of the current 370Z, I kinda like the 50th Anniversary paint scheme.

https://www.carscoops.com/2019/04/2...ce-with-new-anniversary-edition/#lg=1&slide=2

Nissan as a company is dead to me for how long they have treated their enthusiast fans as basically an afterthought. Both of their sports cars are over 10 year old designs at this point and there is no real evidence that replacements are anywhere close.

So, to some of the actually cool stuff from NY. I think this little thing is probably my favorite from the show.

genesis_mint_concept_-_ny_motor_show_-_4.jpg

Mercedes has the most confusing model naming system. Don't know if I should be impressed or not when someone mentions the particular Mercedes they're driving.

It’s worse now (with BMW too) because the numbers after the series/class used to tell you what size the engine was. Like an E320 meant it had a 3.2L. Now a lot of them don’t coincide with their numbers.

Jaguar XKE, XJR...

Back