• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Cars that make your jaw drop.

I thought the syncro 4WD was valued over the Westfalia top.

Good point. I should have stated my post more clearly. I didn't look too closely at the Syncro 4WD models as they were way out of my price range.

Couldn't half or more of the 4x4's out there do what that van is doing in those videos. As far as in snow, anything with good tires should do just fine.

Its the VW campers that have the astronomical values. Less so for the regular passenger versions. Those Westfalia camper conversions use the space pretty efficiently. I looked into them a few years ago and all the owners I talked to said to expect to spend a few thousand a year on maintaining and repairing issues but they all really loved the platform.

It really isn't just the Westfalia's and Syncros. The basic passenger models are experiencing a renaissance as well and have their values hyper inflated as well. I've had two Volkswagen bus's in my life and neither the 1968 nor the 1984 I had were ever worth more than $1500 when bought or sold. I'm constantly kicking myself in the ass for not keeping either of them, but especially the 1984. It'd be worth a fortune now, comparatively.

Couldn't half or more of the 4x4's out there do what that van is doing in those videos. As far as in snow, anything with good tires should do just fine.

You could spend the same on a late model pickup with a camper shell and have a vastly more usable and reliable vehicle that could off road just as well or better.

I’ve spent enough hours in Vanagons and they are painfully, mind numbingly slow. Like unacceptable.

But I guess you don’t get that hipster dork factor with a boring truck that actually works all the time. Gets the same or better fuel economy, can tow, functional AC, etc etc.

Things I can confirm from actual experience about my 1984 Vanagon:

• The A/C always worked from day one until I sold it. And I mean not just the panel A/C but also the overhead cabin-area unit, too. Of course, I can't vouch about after I sold it. :dunno
  • Fuel mileage was 24 MPG on average which is better than my current truck gets with city/highway combined.
  • It honestly wasn't all that slow as long as you weren't climbing a hill :laughing
  • Towing was not a requirement for me back then nor would it be today if were to have another one. That's honestly just not what they were intended for and knowing that going into it makes a huge difference. Buy the vehicle that you need.
  • Dork factor? Meh...I'd say that's subjective. I don't understand why anyone would want to ride a supersport motorcycle anywhere but a track environment...where you can actually use it for what it's intended for...otherwise you just seem like a poser to me. BUT that's my subjective opinion which is the same as you calling bus owners Hipster dorks. :dunno
  • I currently own a crew cab truck with a camper shell and a BedRug...it's not the same thing at all no matter how nice my new truck is. I'd love to have an old Vanagon back in my garage.

:2cents :cool

Slow is subjective but the only thing I ever passed was an air cooled bus. A modern truck can cruise at 80mph all day long. Good luck with a Vanagon.

They weren’t mine, but I actually have experience with two owned by close friends. Both had more engine work done to them than all vehicles I have owned combined. I cannot believe they tolerated that shit for as long as they did.

They are neat in their own way but I feel they are grossly overpriced.

First of all, my 1968 air-cooled bus would do 70 which is amazing considering what it was. My 1984 Vanagon, which is a water-cooled engine BTW, would reach 100 MPH on flat ground. Smart to drive something like that that fast? Fuck no. But again, it's not a total slug. A fucking Geo Metro from the early nineties couldn't even hit 85 without a tail wind. :laughing

The reason for excessive maintenance on anything is almost always neglect by the current or previous owners.

And yeah, they're overpriced period. But as I said before, nostalgia is expensive. Shit, almost ANY "classic" vehicle at this point could be construed as grossly overpriced. :dunno

Found it @ local hardware store, another survivor.

Attachments

• IMG_2457.jpg
    IMG_2457.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 98
^Sweet Lincoln, those MKII's always look good.

What's the deal on these LandRovers? Arkonik 1991 Land Rover Defender 110 200Tdi 5-Speed

This looks sweet and I think can techincally seat 9 with seat belts.

1991_land_rover_defender_110_1586977210d27af4e553981DSC_2411-scaled.jpg

1991_land_rover_defender_110_1586978930c47b71dfacfDSC_2492-scaled.jpg

Whatever it is, I think it’s pretty neat. Though that restomod probably wasn’t cheap to do. Bonus points for Alacantara headliner though.

What's the deal on these LandRovers? Arkonik 1991 Land Rover Defender 110 200Tdi 5-Speed

This looks sweet and I think can techincally seat 9 with seat belts.

1991_land_rover_defender_110_1586977210d27af4e553981DSC_2411-scaled.jpg

1991_land_rover_defender_110_1586978930c47b71dfacfDSC_2492-scaled.jpg

Dubbs...

You're looking at $90,000.00 and up for one of these Defender 110's.

The older 109's aren't quite as bad but still $$$

be really careful with those rovers. there were quite a few siezed by the feds for being illegally imported and at the end of the day they're still a tarted up truck

https://www.motorauthority.com/news...-illegally-imported-land-rover-defender-video

attachment.php

first time i saw one of those was a a GoodGuys show in the 1990s. i didn't know what it was and asked the owner about the inteiror, expecting him to tell me it was full custom. Nope, bone stock he says. easily one of the coolest dashboards i've ever seen

I’ve actually heard of that phenomenon with those old shitty vans. I just don’t understand that in the slightest.

Yet an AWD Chevy Astro or GMC Safari is still worth like 500 bucks and only that much if it’s got a full tank of gas. Go figure.

one of the biggest differences is that the VW syncro has a manual trans with granny 1st gear available (don't know if they all did) and can lock the center diff. none of the domestic imitators were anything more than a sales gimmic. i too marvel at the prices and don't get it but there really isn't much comparison between the General's offerings

Saw this guy parked with the Wal Mart Caravaners....

attachment.php

Attachments

• 913A7AAA-3685-4C1D-91F9-BF75DC5CAF5B.jpg
    913A7AAA-3685-4C1D-91F9-BF75DC5CAF5B.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 457
Back