• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Cars that make your jaw drop.

Never tracked a bike at all. I’ve been to Laguna for AMA Superbike races as a spectator, but thats as close I as got.

The corkscrew in a car, especially that car with the long hood and the huge bulge, is uhhh interesting. Once you clip the apex of the entry to the left, you have to blindly commit to the right turn. I lucked out with the picture of me not having any traffic around me (all the other pictures I did) and actually having the car placed pretty well. Most times I was wide of the curbing and one time I was actually rolling over the green.

See for yourself. Here’s a couple laps that were fairly clear of traffic.

[youtube]ML93hlXGbgI[/youtube]
[youtube]UBzJXKitF6c[/youtube]

From the top of the hill you can see a tree that is your reference point. It has bright orange ribbon or something attached to it. Aim for that at and you will cross the second apex correctly. Carry enough speed and you can get airborne. The orange tree is there in various sims as well.

Attachments

• SpeedSF_Laguna Seca_Sharplite Media-273-X3.jpg
    SpeedSF_Laguna Seca_Sharplite Media-273-X3.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 59
  • SpeedSF_Laguna Seca_Sharplite Media-372-X3.jpg
    SpeedSF_Laguna Seca_Sharplite Media-372-X3.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Did dude in the Tacoma manage to break into the 5’s or was that a support vehicle picking up debris?

I seem to remember the rules for this saying “appropriate vehicles only” or something along the lines of no trucks, SUVs, U-Hauls, forklifts, and so on. That Mazda pickup was grossly out of place and was pretty much an obstacle for everyone. I was lapping him about every three times around. Dude must know the organizers or something.

It’s for sale! Thought about walking around the pits and taking up a collection to see if we could just buy it on the spot and keep it off the grid for the rest of the day.

From the top of the hill you can see a tree that is your reference point. It has bright orange ribbon or something attached to it. Aim for that at and you will cross the second apex correctly. Carry enough speed and you can get airborne. The orange tree is there in various sims as well.

Ah that’s good to know.

Earlier in the day, I was about to have the balls to keep it flat going over turn 1. Ran out of courage right at the crest. And wow was that a fuck up. It got super loose and felt like I was gonna lose it. Scared the absolute crap out of me. For the rest of the day I lifted or even brakes before the crest. Guy in the pits told me to aim for the third light post on the left cresting that hill and I’ll be set up.
[youtube]88M3ejoXv4U[/youtube]
[youtube]om__mM_hC7Q[/youtube]

Ah that’s good to know.

Earlier in the day, I was about to have the balls to keep it flat going over turn 1. Ran out of courage right at the crest. And wow was that a fuck up. It got super loose and felt like I was gonna lose it. Scared the absolute crap out of me. For the rest of the day I lifted or even brakes before the crest. Guy in the pits told me to aim for the third light post on the left cresting that hill and I’ll be set up.
[youtube]88M3ejoXv4U[/youtube]
[youtube]om__mM_hC7Q[/youtube]

That's all part of the fun... With more seat time the car moving around like that will be how you know you're doing it right. TBH though, I doubt you can go flat over T1 in that car, at least not without a wing.

Last edited:
Very cool Rob.
Do you prep your car for the track, e.g. brake fluid, pads, different set of tires?
How many cars in your sessions?

Ha, last time I was at Laugna and on the track was in an Alfa GTV-6 like this one..
(That's way back when they were new.)

Attachments

• Alfa GTV6.jpg
    Alfa GTV6.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Very cool Rob.
Do you prep your car for the track, e.g. brake fluid, pads, different set of tires?

Ha, last time I was at Laugna and on the track was in an Alfa GTV-6 like this one..

The GTV-6 was legit back in the day.

I changed the oil to 15W-50 but that was about it for the prep. I lowered tire pressure a bit after seeing the warm temps go past 40 after a session (door jamb sticker is 30 cold).

After those two 1:47 laps, I lost my brake pedal. Totally forgot to switch out the stock crap DOT4 to RBF660. Won’t make that mistake again! Stock Michelin Super Sports. And there was about 25-30 cars in my group out on the track.

Very cool Rob.

I love the sound those Alfas make

You know....I wonder. With modern HUDs becoming more common in cars, plus larger screen nav displays, I wonder if anyone has yet hacked together a map overlay (videogame style) for either a HUD or Nav screen for people doing trackdays.

You could do a rotating map view to anticipate turns, maybe even augmented reality for your racing lines, and have the HUD tint itself between green-yellow-red depending on speed going into a corner and whatnot.

After those two 1:47 laps, I lost my brake pedal. Totally forgot to switch out the stock crap DOT4 to RBF660. Won’t make that mistake again! Stock Michelin Super Sports. And there was about 25-30 cars in my group out on the track.

Wow, I'm surprised you boiled fluid - I would think they would put something half decent in such a car.

Wow, I'm surprised you boiled fluid - I would think they would put something half decent in such a car.

GM started filling with DOT4 in all Corvettes for a little while now. But apparently, it’s shitty DOT4.

I was also being too noobish with the brakes too I bet.

But god damn is that scary stabbing that pedal at 100 and feeling it go right to the floor.

I had the same thing happen to me during my only visit to Laguna Seca in my Mustang. Got me some racing fluids after that trip.

Attachments

• Corkscrew.jpg
    Corkscrew.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
I was also being too noobish with the brakes too I bet.

Some beginners will extend braking zones (ie brake early and start by braking lightly) making the time under braking longer than it needs to be, putting more heat into the brakes. Braking harder for a shorter period of time can actually be easier on the brakes.

But it could have just been crappy/old fluid.

A little of both I think. Maybe more on my part. Car is only a year old.

I haven't found any better camera angles yet, this just got posted on another forum so I copied it here I don't follow Shmee.

I've never seen so many rare and hyperexpensive cars in one place before though.

Back