• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Cars that make your jaw drop.

did someone say sharknose? :teeth

3942298706_b625d2f474.jpg

I know it's not fast or reliable, but I love the Citroen DS, right down to the funky single-spoke steering wheel.

i like them too, not quite jaw dropping but i certainly think they're cool. i recall seeing one in a collection of bonneville pictures making a speed run.

saw one in palo alto yesterday

Didn't those come stock with Hydraulics to rase and lower it depending on road conditions and speed.

there is also something about the brake system i think, it's not a pedal more like a pressure pad or something like that. apparently it was common for people to lock up the brakes on test drives

Presenting the Manta Montage and Mirage, nominally kit cars.

Attachments

• 113_2001_kit_car_90821_large+manta_montage_coupe+front_right.jpg
    113_2001_kit_car_90821_large+manta_montage_coupe+front_right.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 90
  • Manta2.JPG
    Manta2.JPG
    29.5 KB · Views: 713
Dad had one these we bought from a real pimp in Oakland. It had a couple bullet holes in the windshield before he fixed it and sold it. The breaks had a lock so you could take you foot off the pedal at light.

picture.php

Now he's slowing putting back together this V-12 machine.

V12Jag016.JPG

cobra with a 427 sohc aka cammer
Wikipedia said:
Ford produced an engine with two overhead cams (one cam per head) and hemispherical chambers in the mid-1960s. The engine, displacing 425 cu in (6,965 cc) and belonging to the FE family of Ford engines, was known as the "427 SOHC"; it was also known as the Cammer. It was basically a set of SOHC hemi heads that bolted onto Ford's FE engine block. The 1964 engine was designed in 90 days of intensive engineering effort for use in racing. The 427 SOHC used the side oiler engine block modified slightly to deal with the missing in-block cam among other OHC issues. Because of their power levels it was banned from NASCAR races, though allowed in certain drag racing classes. After the NASCAR ban, Ford continued to produce the 427 SOHC for several years and sold it over the counter to racers and others. Dynamometer results of the day showed the SOHC Hemi producing almost 700 hp (522 kW) in crate form (100 hp per liter).The overhead cams meant that it was not as rpm-limited as the Chrysler Hemis were with their pushrods and heavy and complex valvetrains

DSC02793.jpg

DSC02795.jpg

DSC02797.jpg

cammer
DSC02794.jpg

DSC02796.jpg

seeing it at work made me drop my jaw

1970_442CoupeGreen.jpg

My Dad had one of these (with the 455 motor), so there's a bit of historical coolness everytime I see one on the street. He said it would squeal the tires in first, squeal in second, and chirp in third. My Mum loved it for hauling us younguns around as she never had to worry about passing a big rig- just gas it and go. Of course, Dad hated working on it- the notchout in the hood would leave a dent in one's forehead! :laughing

W-30: 455ci, 1x4bbl, 370 hp@5200rpm, 500lb-ft@3600rpm

Funny thing is my friend's dad just bought one too- 1970 convertible in blue, with white stripes.

Found a pic of the blue beast...

web.jpg

Oh, and for a modern motor in a classic chassis, here is my dream car...
44%20front%20web%20large%20wires.jpg

4%204%20with%20wires%20rear%202.jpg

But if you ar one who likes a little more "oomph",
6_web.jpg

I went to the factory a few years ago, and watched them as they were made (back when the Aero 8 was introduced). The ash frame makes these unique, although I'm not sure if the Aero SS is keeping up with that tradition.

Presenting the Manta Montage and Mirage, nominally kit cars.
"nominally"? why the qualification? I thought they were straight up kit cars. But then again, if it weren't for Hardcastle & McCormick, I probably wouldn't know the Manta nameplate at all.
hardcastle_manta.jpg

^^^my jaw dropped, i LOVE those....

as for the 442's i just saw a 1970 sell for $105,000 on Barrett Jackson

and as for these two, their style is just alright, but their performance numbers is what makes my jaw drop...

Attachments

• caterham.jpg
    caterham.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 86
  • darth-vader_ariel-atom.jpg
    darth-vader_ariel-atom.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 98
Iconic GTR Roadster

First pic is without body.

800hp 600 torque 8,000pm 0-60 in under 3 seconds, 2300lbs

$600,000

d6ff43db36c74c9c88decf2f720449ce.jpg

img_calendercar.jpg

Their website has far better pics buts its flash

Last edited:
cobra with a 427 sohc aka cammer

DSC02793.jpg

DSC02795.jpg

DSC02797.jpg

cammer
DSC02794.jpg

DSC02796.jpg

seeing it at work made me drop my jaw

that engine was created specifically to dominate NASCAR, and the pigfuckers changed the rules before ford ever got to compete with it, requiring cam-in-block motors. a notable step down the path of cookiecutter "stock car" racing we get today. motor = awesome. nascar=boooo

i hear rebuild costs on a cammer motor are astronomical

I figure kit cars can be assembled by shade tree mechanics-most of not all Mantas were assembled by professionals or delivered turnkey from the factory, according to some of the fan sites I've read. Many were even sold by 'exotic car' dealers.

"nominally"? why the qualification? I thought they were straight up kit cars. But then again, if it weren't for Hardcastle & McCormick, I probably wouldn't know the Manta nameplate at all.
hardcastle_manta.jpg

this may be counterculture to the direction of the thread, but I think its a jaw dropping vehicle none the less.

the old Military M274A5 Mule:

muledone.jpg

"They had an air-cooled engine, 4X4, could carry a quarter-ton load, and were smaller and handier than a Jeep. The steering wheel swings forward and down, and there are hand controls so the vehicle could be DRIVEN WHILE THE OPERATOR IS CRAWLING! There's never been another one like that!"

apparently these little bastards would haul just about anything you could load on them. I think its awesome!

How about the first one, ever:

4506115191_5ef20149f4_b.jpg

An offer of $20,000,000 was turned down for this car.

Back