• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Cars that make your jaw drop.

Loose definition of "car" (it has four wheels, right?), but jaw-dropping nonetheless...

80870d1229696437-extreme-4x4-chain-drive-21.jpg

[youtube]<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/w_F7QrR4Ur8&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/w_F7QrR4Ur8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube]

that is indeed, jaw-dropping.

very curious about how the wheels were driven, I found this explanation:
"large chains running inside the swing arms turn hummer gear reduction (2:1) hubs at each wheel."

between the chain drive and the hydraulics, I have to wonder how often something breaks, and how often it's dead in its tracks.

very curious about how the wheels were driven, I found this explanation:
"large chains running inside the swing arms turn hummer gear reduction (2:1) hubs at each wheel."

between the chain drive and the hydraulics, I have to wonder how often something breaks, and how often it's dead in its tracks.

that is badass. i wonder if you can do a 520 chain conversion on it!

ha

can you tell how it steers?

the dude needs to stay on the trail though. showing off like that and tearing up virgin areas is what gets recreation areas closed (might have been private property in which case i have no issue)

Last edited:
can you tell how it steers?
I think the writeup said there was steering gear inside each arm as well. It didn't say whether it was mechanical linkage or hydraulic; I'd suspect the latter. I just can't help but think about how every Monster Garage episode with hydraulics ended in tears (or at least weeping fittings).

I've always wanted to make a rock-crawler with hydraulically-driven wheels, reducing suspension clearance issues even further than this chain-drive monstrosity.

monster garage had a bunch of neophytes making hydraulic systems under a severe tims constraint. i think someone taking their time and having some trial and error could get it pretty reliable.

the article i read mentioned a steering box under the firewall somehow. steering box could be an orbital valve arrangement i guess. dunno

What do you guys expect to pay? To start off, the chassis is not cheap. Add a bunch of custom crap and the six figure price tag is not surprising at all. A freakin' Sprinter motorhome very easily passes $80k with nothing too special. These are low volume, custom vehicles. That Unimog jobbie probably is over $100k more than the Ford.

well, I'm waiting for this to actually hit the market. I'd buy one.

kenworth_pilgrimage.jpg

What do you guys expect to pay? To start off, the chassis is not cheap. Add a bunch of custom crap and the six figure price tag is not surprising at all. A freakin' Sprinter motorhome very easily passes $80k with nothing too special. These are low volume, custom vehicles. That Unimog jobbie probably is over $100k more than the Ford.

I can have a Winnebago for less with more room. :|

Oh man.... if that happens Ill have to get one. I have a 1972 Dino 246GTS and would have to do the old/new thing :cool

:teeth can i have a ride? :teeth

Back