• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Cars that make your jaw drop.

It's incredible what you can do with a basically unlimited budget :laughing

And unlimited track width front/ rear!

Muthafucka…you bought the most powerful track focused Corvette ever made. And you ain’t got the sand to even get into triple digits? Day one, I frigging got mine over 150 on the drive home from the dealership.

So yeah. Skill definitely ain’t a requirement to own these things.

You should checkout a Moto track day….almost as bad if not worse. Weird enough, it’s the little bike guys who over do it more than liter bike guy. And 600/ FZ7 guys seem to be hucking their bikes on the ground by the minute.

Car guys suck at TD’s too. This whole attitude of “pass me when I and where I tell you to pass me” is ridiculous. No thanks…screw point-by passes. Door opens, GO TIME.

It is a great example of scope creep. It was originally supposed to just be an E36 with a twin turbo 6 cylinder and widebody with some mildly intense aero. Then our engineer wanted to get rid of the front struts for an SLA set-up. It went sideways from there.🤣

Car guys suck at TD’s too. This whole attitude of “pass me when I and where I tell you to pass me” is ridiculous. No thanks…screw point-by passes. Door opens, GO TIME.

I dunno. In the non-advanced groups, I’m all for the whole point by thing. I think a lot of noobs at the track get tunnel vision and never look in their mirrors. Last thing I’d want to do is to try and dive bomb someone on a turn, they didn’t know I was coming, and they try and take their usual line. All bad.

Better packaging and geometry for the huge front tires. And, because we can.
Wayne is our race engineer for our IMSA team. Rich (not me) is the lead fabricator. They both worked for Jim Downing on the Kudzu IMSA GTP Lights and WSC cars.

Man, if I had the appropriate skillet I'd absolutely love to have a hand in a project like that.

Did you ever drive a late 70's early 80's vett?
I co-drove my buddies from Eureka to LV for the Grand Prix race....it was not fast.
DT

Virtually nothing automotive produced in America during the late 70s or early 80s was fast. :nchantr

I dunno. In the non-advanced groups, I’m all for the whole point by thing. I think a lot of noobs at the track get tunnel vision and never look in their mirrors. Last thing I’d want to do is to try and dive bomb someone on a turn, they didn’t know I was coming, and they try and take their usual line. All bad.

Divebombing an inexperienced driver on a corner isn't the best way to get by them. Hang back a little bit to set them up, carry more speed, and then drive by them past the corner leads to a lot less drama. It also works well for low powered cars like my M3.

Divebombing an inexperienced driver on a corner isn't the best way to get by them. Hang back a little bit to set them up, carry more speed, and then drive by them past the corner leads to a lot less drama. It also works well for low powered cars like my M3.

Of course. But what about the situation where they’re so much more overpowered than you that you corner speed advantage gets almost immediately erased as they gas it coming off the turn? I’m guilty of it myself. Had a Radical come up on me at Laguna. I would absolutely leave him in the straights, but he’s right up my ass again mid corner. I finally gave him the point by after the corkscrew when it looked like I was towing him through it.

gTgZaIN.jpg

Last edited:
Of course. But what about the situation where they’re so much more overpowered than you that you corner speed advantage gets almost immediately erased as they gas it coming off the turn? I’m guilty of it myself. Had a Radical come up on me at Laguna. I would absolutely leave him in the straights, but he’s right up my ass again mid corner. I finally gave him the point by after the corkscrew when it looked like I was towing him through it.

gTgZaIN.jpg

After you pass them 2-3 times, they get the message. ;-)

Or, pull in the hot pits for 5-10seconds and get a new spot in traffic. Whichever your solution, divebombing on corner entry is never the answer.

Last edited:

Yes, this. I've also had success by putting on a little pressure. Stay close(er) on corner entry for a couple of corners and they'll make an error at the next turn and scare themselves with a usually small loss of traction. They will instantly throw their hand out the window.

after-you-sir-detail_1a8595b1-18e8-402c-ba85-607230d7ab34_grande.png

Agree on the less advanced groups, but in the advanced group, it's a bit over done at some of the providers. Dive bombing is always a bad idea if that means you're kinda of on a wing and a prayer. I agree with Brichter on getting under them on the exit. Less of a chance of them turning into you like happens on those entries.

Yes, this. I've also had success by putting on a little pressure. Stay close(er) on corner entry for a couple of corners and they'll make an error at the next turn and scare themselves with a usually small loss of traction. They will instantly throw their hand out the window.

This too. Enough pressure and they tend to crumble up...but, if the car's got race numbers on it, those ones never seemed to give way easily to any "street" cars.

Moto T-days are way easier cause there's more options, IME.

The test days had the course broken into three sections. Bottom, middle, and top. So they'd get everyone to run a section, and then you could run the next, or go back to the start for the same section and wait.
A little bit of video. Turn the volume down for the first bit, then crank it up.
https://youtu.be/sxgXYpVnOwc

Thanks racercosmo. Keep the updates coming.

Embed below. Best noises start at 00:40

[YOUTUBE]sxgXYpVnOwc[/YOUTUBE]

Hopefully they made sure to include the drum brakes like they do on their $50,000 Tacomas. Because, you know, they're "better for off-road" environments. :rofl

Back