• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Cars that make your jaw drop.

I'm no expert on this, but I think most modern cars are capable of towing well over 500 lbs. Europeans seem to have no problem towing trailers of all kinds with cars and minivans.

Of course. Seeing as how crossovers are nothing more than cars with more ground clearance and higher roofs, and they can typically tow ~1500 pounds when equipped properly.

I'll admit that I'm a noob when it comes to towing. But I would want my tow rig to have substantially more mass than what I was towing. Not so far as needing a F-450 dually to tow a single jet ski. But I've seen some ghetto ridiculous things like a Camry rigged up to tow a medium sized Airstream. Holy trailer sway Batman!

Hope racercosmo doesn't mind me posting this. Pikes' Peak race day. The course was cut short this year due to snow and ice at the upper elevations.

Fuck. This car is fast. Really eats those short straights.

[YOUTUBE]m6PEeEOTGlc[/YOUTUBE]

No, I've been lacking in my updates, so thank you.

Overall, it was considered a successful first run. James said his main goals were not dying and not destroying the car. A lot was learned, so that was good.
Optima was pleased, and has signed on to do it again next year, so we'll be back.

I'll admit that I'm a noob when it comes to towing. But I would want my tow rig to have substantially more mass than what I was towing.

Meh…..

My Dodge 3500 dually weighs around 8k and our 39’ fifth wheel toy hauler is 13k dry, probably close to 15k when loaded and carrying fresh water.

Meh…..

My Dodge 3500 dually weighs around 8k and our 39’ fifth wheel toy hauler is 13k dry, probably close to 15k when loaded and carrying fresh water.

Yeah, having a rig that outweighs your cargo is kinda contrary to the point, no?

I know that with real heavy loads, the rig is a fraction of the total weight. I’m reasonably certain that every big rig I see on the freeway isn’t hauling a load of packing peanuts.

My point is that I don’t want to haul more weight than me because I don’t want to feel like the load is pushing me around versus it just being along for the ride no different than a fat passenger. Of course there’s trailer brakes, but we all know that stopping distances increase by a whole shitload when you’re pulling a bunch of weight.

I'm no expert on this, but I think most modern cars are capable of towing well over 500 lbs. Europeans seem to have no problem towing trailers of all kinds with cars and minivans.

The issue is never whether the vehicle can safely pull the load, it's whether it can safely control the load while underway and, more importantly, whether or not it can safely stop the vehicle and the load. Passenger vehicles aren't usually designed with towing in mind, minivans included. Can you pull a trailer with them? Depending on what it is that you're pulling, sure. It doesn't mean it's ideal or even safe to do it. However just like Americans, Europeans are not exempt from dumb decision making when it comes to automobiles. It really just comes down to using the right tool for the job.

Meh…..

And to my previous point, there's nothing wrong with this. The typical day-cab tractor weighs around 20-25,000 pounds yet is safely able to pull loads weighing sometimes triple the weight of the cab by itself. They're engineered to do this and have been exhaustively tested in this capacity. So are light-duty pickups like Shaggy's. There's absolutely nothing wrong with pulling a 13,000 pound trailer with an 8,000 pound truck so long as that truck is designed to deal with such a load. Any 1-ton truck on the market these days can easily handle that that load. Shit, there are half-ton trucks on the market now that can nearly pull that much and they have factory-supplied brake control equipment and tow packages installed.

My point is that I don’t want to haul more weight than me because I don’t want to feel like the load is pushing me around versus it just being along for the ride no different than a fat passenger. Of course there’s trailer brakes, but we all know that stopping distances increase by a whole shitload when you’re pulling a bunch of weight.

Of course they do, but that doesn't mean you'll be in a situation where the load is pushing you around. There are plenty of ways to mitigate that with today's technologies.

Are they ever going to make another 2 door GTI?

2021-VW-Golf-GTI-Euro-Spec-6.jpg

I want this :cool Cadillac!

Attachments

• Cadillac Lyriq.jpg
    Cadillac Lyriq.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 27
  • Cadillac Lyriq2.jpg
    Cadillac Lyriq2.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 29
  • Cadillac Lyriq3.jpg
    Cadillac Lyriq3.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 26
Wow. That would actually make the Arteon relevant. What a shame we don’t get it here.

They probably wouldn't even do the Arteon Big Sur sedan concept...

attachment.php

I do like that green, though.

Attachments

• VW-Arteon-Big-Sur-Concept-01.jpg
    VW-Arteon-Big-Sur-Concept-01.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 194
Back