• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Cars that make your jaw drop.

No I meant blower. As in the HVAC system. We say “blower motor” so it’s not confused with radiator fan motor(s).

Well shit, you got me there. I didn't even think about the HVAC blower. I certainly wouldn't expect people to be using the A/C and heat in a little MX-5 all that much, though. :laughing

damn...just realized i don't make enough money

Sure you do. A lot of the features we're talking about don't require MB/BMW/Audi money.

I must have missed that...but yeah, not surprised at all. Even though Germans, as a whole, are largely against the idea of eating or drinking in your vehicle. The point of driving is to drive.

Mercedes didn't start putting drink holders in their cars until like 1996 and they were all basically worthless :laughing

Who has heated and cooled cup holders and an air scarf at a reasonable price?

Mazda, Ford / Lincoln, I think even Dodge does now. Well, at least for the cup holder stuff. But you can get a lower-trim BMW or Benz for less than you'd pay for a tricked out F150 these days, so I mean...6 of 1, half dozen of the other?+

edit - looks like Dodge stopped doing it, but here's a random list of 10 other vehicles you can get heated / cooled cup holders in:

https://motorask.com/cars-with-heated-cup-holders/#9-Dodge-Charger

Give me a minute and I can dig up a few others but it's been around for a while.

Last edited:
Some of the cars I work on even have heated armrests. That’s pretty neat.

Also another nice thing, but it’s been around for awhile (Mercedes I think was first?), is the “air scarf” in convertibles which has heated air blow from below the headrests.

Ooo and let’s not forget heated and cooled cup holders either.

Pretty sure Jason’s head is about to explode now.

Heated on both sides, armrests. Back seats with full reclining and leg extension rests. Add massaging seats and the thing's a cocoon of comfort.

The absolute best car for back seat luxury for the dollar is an S-class with the executive rear seat package and all options. About a 3rd the cost of a Maybach and yet, the same car almost. I've been in some pricey rides, but nothing beats that S-class.

I've always wanted one of those tiny refrigerators that come in some ultra luxury cars.

Small, but neat. I'm sure when the thing breaks it's $2,500.

:laughing

I have a heated steering wheel as well. Pointless feature IMO. :twofinger

Blashphemer!

Have you compared the S class rear seats with the Panamera rear seats?

Those look really comfy. I haven't tried them myself but I would like to one of these days.

Porsche-Panamera-4-E-Hybrid-Sport-Turismo-2_1-rear-seat-configuration.jpg

Have you compared the S class rear seats with the Panamera rear seats?

Those look really comfy. I haven't tried them myself but I would like to one of these days.

I have. Even against the kind of rare Panamera Executive, which is an extended wheelbase model focused on the back seat, S Class is miles better. Most folks don’t even know this version exists….

porsche-model.png

The absolute best car for back seat luxury for the dollar is an S-class with the executive rear seat package and all options. About a 3rd the cost of a Maybach and yet, the same car almost. I've been in some pricey rides, but nothing beats that S-class.

I concur. Next closest, for the money, would be a Range Rover Autobiography with the full executive seating.

Though if you’re willing to drop the money, the back of a new Flying Spur Mulliner is extraordinary. Rolls Phantom/Ghost is nice, but I think the money is more in places other than the seat.

I have. Even against the kind of rare Panamera Executive, which is an extended wheelbase model focused on the back seat, S Class is miles better. Most folks don’t even know this version exists….

porsche-model.png

I've always assumed this would be the the ultimate road trip luxury car but youre saying the loaded S class? I can see that. That Exec Pano does look nice. I saw a 2014 on an auction site with only 30k miles or so and thought that if I had the $$ and older kids, it probably would be a good deal.

I've always assumed this would be the the ultimate road trip luxury car but youre saying the loaded S class? I can see that. That Exec Pano does look nice. I saw a 2014 on an auction site with only 30k miles or so and thought that if I had the $$ and older kids, it probably would be a good deal.

Back seat of a Panny is still the back seat, which means you still have no headroom and things are pretty tight side to side. There’s some power adjustment to the back seats in the Executive, but nothing like the heated/cooled/massage full power setup in the back of the big Merc.

And anytime you see a used Panny and think that could be a good deal? No. Just no. Even with 30k miles, so much shit can be wrong with those by then. My favorite expression when it comes to used Eurotrash applies very much here. If you can’t afford a new one, you can’t afford it used either.

My favorite expression when it comes to used Eurotrash applies very much here. If you can’t afford a new one, you can’t afford it used either.
And just what would drop in this bucket?
I only have experience with Volvo and mid 90's BMW 525.
We will be looking for mid-size Sport Ute and the wife likes Volvo XC 60 but I think a top trim Edge might be the way to go..
I am always drawn to Euro styling but like Ford for getting serviced and at least some reliability.

Last edited:
We will be looking for mid-size Sport Ute and the wife likes Volvo XC 60 but I think a top trim Edge might be the way to go..
I am always drawn to Euro styling but like Ford for getting serviced and at least some reliability.

Not sure if you would be interested in used/certified.

This Costco program is ending soon.

Certified by Volvo Limited-Time Special
Ends September 30, 2022

Costco members can receive an exclusive $1,250 member-only incentive on select, Certified by Volvo 2019-2021 XC60 and XC90 models.3

There isn’t much FoMoCo, if any, in modern Volvos now. Volvo has gone quite a bit upmarket since being acquired by Geely from Ford a dozen years ago. The new product is very nice I will say. Service costs are much higher (fluid for the Haldex AWD is priced like its unicorn tears) than before. Reliability seems to be about the same, which was never top tier, but a far cry from Land Rover.

Are you gonna say the same thing my wife says about hers if I were to recommend the leader in that segment, the Acura RDX? “It’s very nice, but it’s just kinda boring. My Audi was more fun.” And sure a 370hp Audi SQ5 would certainly be more fun than a dressed up Honda with 100 less horsepower. But her Audi was a lease, the Acura is being kept for the long haul.

So yeah anyways, it’s really hard to go wrong with the RDX if you’re looking for premium mid size SUV. Lexus RX is always a winner too, but costs quite a bit more these days.

Thanks for the reply Rob.
Yep, I knew the Volvo was owned by Greely.
I have driven the Audi Q5, BMW X3, Volvo XC 60 and newer Ford Edge Titanium.
Haven't driven a equivalent MBZ or the new Acura.
So far , the wife likes the XC60 and I like the Ford Edge. I just think the driving exp in the Ford is hard to beat.
We live at the top of a mountain on a less than perfect road. What I have noticed on the smaller SUV's they can quickly loose their composure and comfortable ride on a twisty, bumpy road.
...Now returning this thread back to exciting cars!...lol
DT

We live at the top of a mountain on a less than perfect road. What I have noticed on the smaller SUV's they can quickly loose their composure and comfortable ride on a twisty, bumpy road.

Try the RDX with the Advance package. Advance comes with adaptive dampers. Acura’s AWD system is actually one of the best ones in the business too.

Back