• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Cars that make your jaw drop.

Mazda, Ford / Lincoln, I think even Dodge does now. Well, at least for the cup holder stuff. But you can get a lower-trim BMW or Benz for less than you'd pay for a tricked out F150 these days, so I mean...6 of 1, half dozen of the other?+

edit - looks like Dodge stopped doing it, but here's a random list of 10 other vehicles you can get heated / cooled cup holders in:

https://motorask.com/cars-with-heated-cup-holders/#9-Dodge-Charger

Give me a minute and I can dig up a few others but it's been around for a while.

Says Ford...provides a list with zero Fords on it. :laughing

I can't think of a single Ford vehicle that offers that feature. Sure, you can get a cooler that mounts in the center console of the captain chair equipped F-150s, but I can't think of a single vehicle they make that has heated and/or cooled cup holders. That's a seriously silly gimmick IMHO. YMMV. :2cents :dunno

Blashphemer!

gallery_22643_437_2489.jpg

I concur. Next closest, for the money, would be a Range Rover Autobiography with the full executive seating.

Though if you’re willing to drop the money, the back of a new Flying Spur Mulliner is extraordinary. Rolls Phantom/Ghost is nice, but I think the money is more in places other than the seat.

Looked at the Autobiography and concluded the S-class was a more usable and comfortable package when outfitted with the Executive seating, etc. Also, the S-Class Exec came up sooner than the RR AB. In fact, I've only seen one come through the auctions and the seller was way high. The FS Milliner is a beaut, but beyond me in $$$...and besides, the fun part isn't buying new; it's finding the great used deals when they come up.

Drove the S-class from Orlando area to The Keys and back a few months back. My GF used the back seat for some of the trip. 15 minutes in, kicked back and feet extended; out for the hours. More people should opt for these on the used market when searching, but they don't...

Have you compared the S class rear seats with the Panamera rear seats?

I haven't seen a Panamera executive package in person yet. But, the S-class is truly a vault of comfort. Unreal, IME. If you're gonna have a driver + car, it's the best deal IMO.

Thumbnail

Goes for the S class as well I'm guessing.

IME, not so much. Services and stuff aren't cheap, but nothing is these days on autos. Pretty darn reliable so far...although they chew through front tires quickly. Almost 2X quicker than the CTS-V.

Super Cars and Cool Stuff

I haven't seen a Panamera executive package in person yet. But, the S-class is truly a vault of comfort. Unreal, IME. If you're gonna have a driver + car, it's the best deal IMO.

Thumbnail

IME, not so much. Services and stuff aren't cheap, but nothing is these days on autos. Pretty darn reliable so far...although they chew through front tires quickly. Almost 2X quicker than the CTS-V.

Weird, the BARF wanted a "Title" when a "Quote" was requested.
It's :cool ; BARF being BARF ! :thumbup
Now there's some seating. Bet it's a quiet ride, lot's of "sound deadening material and shapes" used.
CTS-V front tires you say?! :laughing Guess, I'm doing sumthin wrong.

Says Ford...provides a list with zero Fords on it. :laughing

I can't think of a single Ford vehicle that offers that feature. Sure, you can get a cooler that mounts in the center console of the captain chair equipped F-150s, but I can't think of a single vehicle they make that has heated and/or cooled cup holders. That's a seriously silly gimmick IMHO. YMMV. :2cents :dunno

gallery_22643_437_2489.jpg

Ford's patent on them
https://www.freepatentsonline.com/6670583.html
The invention relates to a heatable cup system, comprising a cup (1) and a cup holder (2), that is suitable, for example, for attachment to a console of a motor vehicle. The cup (1) and the cup holder (2) have corresponding, electric contacts (4, 5) for the supply of current to a heating element (3) in the base of the cup (1). The electric contacts of the cup holder (2) are mounted moveably and are designed as magnets (5), in order to produce a contact assisted by magnetic force.

https://myvehicletalk.com/cars-with-heated-cup-holders/

This list adds Nissan to the "non-6-figure-car-that-has-these" list.

Think back to when only Mercedes and above had a heated steering wheel...now even Kia / Hyundai / Mazda / literally everyone has them.

There's no Indy Car thread but this a BADASS car. Plus, got to spend the Indy Race weekend at Laguna with my youngest Son and McLaren Indy Racing.
Incredibly awesome weekend!!!

Attachments

• Arrow McLaren Indy car.jpg
    Arrow McLaren Indy car.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 18
Now there's some seating. Bet it's a quiet ride, lot's of "sound deadening material and shapes" used.

Rolls is the king of quiet. Driver seat, back seat, whatever, it’s one of the. Pay isolated rides there is.

And the bar is getting raised even more. Bentley has the Flying Spur PHEV now. When that thing is under EV power, it is probably the quiet now.

Until Rolls releases the Spectre.

Hey Rob, where does the BMW 5 series factor in when it comes to overall comfort and luxury (as in compared to Merc, Audi, etc)?

I rented one a couple of years ago and, at the time, I was used to our Nissan Juke so it was very eye opening. But I'd like to know how that compares to others.

My car has the heated/cooled cupholders. I didn't realize how awesome they are until I took a trip down to LA.

My car has the heated/cooled cupholders. I didn't realize how awesome they are until I took a trip down to LA.

My wife's 2019 CX5 GTR doesn't have that but we took a road trip to Ashland Oregon and back last week and adaptive cruise control is a wonderful thing.

Hey Rob, where does the BMW 5 series factor in when it comes to overall comfort and luxury (as in compared to Merc, Audi, etc)?

I rented one a couple of years ago and, at the time, I was used to our Nissan Juke so it was very eye opening. But I'd like to know how that compares to others.

I rented one a couple years ago also. Was less than impressed. Granted it was a base no option 5 series, but comfort and luxury level felt not even as nice as my TLX.

If you just want comfort and luxury and you’ve got 5 series money to spend? If a “drivers car” is not a big priority, then just save a few bucks and get a loaded up Lexus ES. If you want more than just “Walmart Luxury” as the ES is referred to, and want some driving dynamics to shuffle around a bit from time to time, then the Lexus should move to the bottom of the list. And now it’s back to looking at the Euro stuff.

The sedan market is shrinking as you may have seen. Ford just doesn’t make one here at all anymore. GM will be done with them as soon as the Caddy models phase out (CT5 would be the comparable car to a 5 series). And Chrysler only seems to make a sedan for flat brim wearing 18% APR paying hooligans…and they sell a few to government too. Even though BMW and Mercedes still have quite an assortment of sedans, mostly because they still sell well in their home countries, they seem to be focusing more on SUVs and crossovers here in America. Just look at how many X# models BMW has.

I rented one a couple years ago also. Was less than impressed. Granted it was a base no option 5 series, but comfort and luxury level felt not even as nice as my TLX.

That would be funny if we had rented the same one. :laughing

Yeah, not at all in the market for a sedan, I just wanted to get a context of where that car stands as far as luxury cars go. It sounds like it's no standard bearer.

I think if we had to get another car right now, a leading option for us is the new GR Corolla. We've both been talking about how much we are missing driving a car with manual transmission.

MY23_GR-Corolla-Circuit-Edition_Exterior_Montage-1500x844-1-1024x576.jpg

Plus it would make for a great contrast to our current EV land barge.

Yeah, not at all in the market for a sedan, I just wanted to get a context of where that car stands as far as luxury cars go. It sounds like it's no standard bearer.

I think if we had to get another car right now, a leading option for us is the new GR Corolla. We've both been talking about how much we are missing driving a car with manual transmission.

If I were to buy ICE right now, that's probably where I would land as well.

That being said, I want my next car to be an EV and a sports car, so far most companies aren't quite doing that yet. though, there are signs of good things coming up soon enough.

hyundai-rn22e-101-1657800671.jpg

Rented mine in Vegas. Valet guys weren’t exactly fighting over it when I pulled up to Aria Sky Suites

It’s not that BMW isn’t a standard bearer. It’s just that the competition has come a long way since the days of the 5 series being way better like with was back in the E39 days. Once the F10 came along, it didn’t really offer a more exiting experience compared to the older, and more importantly, lighter generations. Yeah it was fast. But it wasn’t something you felt like pushing on a twisty road. Essentially a German Hellcat.

Going to have to be really connected to someone or just be willing to pay stupid markup to get a GR Corolla. That’s going to be a super hot property. Same for the new Civic Type-R.

I'd be ok with one of these, or rather this one since it's a "one off"...

Maranello’s latest one-off creation is the Ferrari SP51, a special roadster version of the front-engined 812 GTS.

Ferrari_SP51_101-1536x832.webp

[YOUTUBE]54ZNuWNpglI[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
That being said, I want my next car to be an EV and a sports car, so far most companies aren't quite doing that yet. though, there are signs of good things coming up soon enough.
[/IMG]

Sooner than you might think. And unfortunately, as vague as that is, I don’t think I can say any more than it isn’t a god damn Tesla Roadster vaporware car.

Sooner than you might think. And unfortunately, as vague as that is, I don’t think I can say any more than it isn’t a god damn Tesla Roadster vaporware car.

Honestly I was pretty surprised that the new Mustang didn't get some sort of EV version. Honestly, I'm not in any rush, it'll be a year at least before automakers can figure out the supply chain requirements to take advantage of the new tax credits due to the requirements for North American manufacture particularly of the batteries, and I'd definitely prefer to get that credit.

On Tesla, to be fair to them, they have been busy. The engineering time that they were spending on failing to make an EV pickup truck and failing to make an EV supercar is now going towards failing to make a bipedal robot. :thumbup

Their cringy 'announcement' of that misadventure will never not be funny to me:

[YOUTUBE]TsNc4nEX3c4[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
Back