• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Cars that make your jaw drop.

Registration Services.

"Could I speak to a supervisor?"

"Sure"

"Yeah, it's stock, I'm not sure what the problem is."

I found the guy's uTube channel. Here's a build progress video:

[YOUTUBE]http://youtu.be/OwWfH3hQuZo[/YOUTUBE]

Continuing to pollute this thread with fresh Monte Carlo Rally action.

[youtube]LzlLrSjgwjo[/youtube]

Thats cool. There used to be a shop named P1 Racing in Orange County that prepared race cars for SCCA amateur and pro racing. I wonder if they are still around.

I'm not sure. P1 was Bill Fickling. He did some vintage racing after he shut down the pro Toyota Atlantic team in the early 2000s. His son Geoff is the race engineer for the Vasser Sullivan Lexus team in IMSA. It's very likely he has a small shop doing odds and ends in his spare time.

I'm not sure. P1 was Bill Fickling. He did some vintage racing after he shut down the pro Toyota Atlantic team in the early 2000s. His son Geoff is the race engineer for the Vasser Sullivan Lexus team in IMSA. It's very likely he has a small shop doing odds and ends in his spare time.

Yeah, Bill Fickling is who I was thinking of. I knew him when he was preparing Sports 2000s and had just started running Formula Atlantic cars.

Thanks for the heads up about Vassar Sullvan team. I need to pay more attention to IMSA. I worked with Jimmy Vassar for a summer when he raced in Canada many years ago; well before his IndyCar days.

racercosmo, is your team racing Daytona this year?

Corvettes actually typically do even better. A base Stingray will probably get right around 30 on the highway. And they used to be even better years ago. My old 2003 could see up to 35-36 on the highway.

The newer ones with more weight and more downforce (drag)…30 is the realistic limit. And mine with an obnoxious amount of power, huge tires, and lots of downforce? I probably average 13 or so.

I've got 28 with mine, but that was working at it...few hills, etc too. My 2015 gets over 30 w/ good driving and is a vert. The 07 got the best...got 34 @85 mph up I5 from LA. Course that was a manual. The other two are autos.

I’m guessing working it is no cruise control? I think my 6 year old family sedan actually brakes with the cruise on!

I’m guessing working it is no cruise control? I think my 6 year old family sedan actually brakes with the cruise on!

Only vehicles with ACC will brake themselves with cruise on. Corvettes do not have that available….yet.

Only vehicles with ACC will brake themselves with cruise on. Corvettes do not have that available….yet.

Our ELR doesn't have ACC, and will apply the brakes when going downhill with CC engaged.

Corvettes actually typically do even better. A base Stingray will probably get right around 30 on the highway. And they used to be even better years ago. My old 2003 could see up to 35-36 on the highway.

The newer ones with more weight and more downforce (drag)…30 is the realistic limit. And mine with an obnoxious amount of power, huge tires, and lots of downforce? I probably average 13 or so.

I've got 28 with mine, but that was working at it...few hills, etc too. My 2015 gets over 30 w/ good driving and is a vert. The 07 got the best...got 34 @85 mph up I5 from LA. Course that was a manual. The other two are autos.

I was able to get 27mpg pretty consistently in my 2007 Z06 if I drove it with the flow of traffic. Lowest I've seen was 7mpg at a trackday. I've got just over 120k miles on it now, and it's averaged 18.2mpg for those miles.

picture.php

18.2 is great!

On a separate note and writing a glowing endorsement: I bought a Genesis GV80 for my sister and drove it to CO and back over the holidays. 1,100 miles each way and three weeks to fully get to know the GV80.

My takeaway: absolutely blown away. 100%. Bar none, this is the SUV no one's buying that everyone in the price segment and well above that price segment SHOULD be buying. MSPR on a fully loaded unit is $72K and that gives it near the full compliment that BMW/ Mercedes/ Audi competitors are equipped with. Interior design is spot on, lux and IMO: better laid out that competitiors. Genesis hired two former Bentley engineers: Luc Donckerwolke (design director at VW group and SangYup Lee. Their attention to detail and luxury has paid off. I counted 6 people who thought the GV80 was the Bentley Bentayga. Of course the Genesis logo is almost a direct copy of Bentley, but so is much of the rest of the SUV. Comfort was top notch for the long (and miserable due to horrible weather) drive. Ice/ snow competency was excellent as well...this was the some of the worst weather I've driven in in recent memory and the GV80 handled all of it well. Electronics are unnoticeable and snow mode worked great. Massaging seat, heated everything, and best of all: the driver assistance (auto drive) was the best I've used yet. Eye tracking means the driver doesn't have to touch the wheel unless it's a lane change, or the system thinks you're not paying attention. Absent that, stick your hands in you lap and let Genesis take the wheel for 400 miles at a time @80mph. Nothing has made a long driver easier. The system shuts off in snow as buildup blocks the front sensor, but I prefer that anyway.

I can't say enough good things about the GV80 and can't believe how blown away I was buy this SUV. More so than even the C8 Corvette. I've driven most of the other high end SUV's and while there are some strengths in those the GV80 is not as good, the Genesis is the complete package for daily driving. Comparing it back to back with the Porsche Cayenne S in CO, the Porsche has a more focused and serious road feel and performance feel. But the after that, the GV80 seems be the more relaxed and livable option...and it's some $40-50K cheaper (new). Used, it's about $30K cheaper. That's a no brainer.

So...count me in 100% for Hyundai's Genesis effort. This is the best SUV for any amount under $100K and frankly, above that amount given one's specific wants. Count Genesis out for their lack of advertising/ promotion on the GV80. I have yet to see much about since Tiger piled his into a wall and sent the engine doing a 50 yard dash out of the side of the front plate.

Fun note: My roomate and best friend in college is in charge of Kia group's creative team(s). I texted him: "Find who's in charge of the GV80 marketing program and take their job. They're horrible"

Small-2097-2021GenesisGV80inHudsonValleyNewYork.jpg

Last edited:
Yup. Buddy of mine bought one a year or so back and has been raving about it. He's had all manner of Porsches and performance cars and whatnot over the years and says hands down this is one of the best cars he's ever owned. I tried to convince my sister to give them a look but she went with a Yukon as she wanted the captain's chairs and extra space, which is understandable. But for anyone shopping the "full size" SUV segment ala Durango, Wagoneer, X7, Q7, etc....I'd give these a good long look.

Our ELR doesn't have ACC, and will apply the brakes when going downhill with CC engaged.

I was able to get 27mpg pretty consistently in my 2007 Z06 if I drove it with the flow of traffic. Lowest I've seen was 7mpg at a trackday. I've got just over 120k miles on it now, and it's averaged 18.2mpg for those miles.

Oh yeah, I swear we’ve talked about that braking thing with cruise before too. I forgot does it actually use the service brakes or just go into regen?

I would love to get at least 7mpg at a track day. Might save me from having to refuel before the day is over. I seem to get only 4mpg.

Holeshot, interesting read.
What engine and trim package was it?

Engine is the 3.5L V6TT, Advanced + and Prestige package. The only thing it doesn't have is the 3rd row seats which can't be ordered with the prestige. The amount of recline on the 2nd row is about double what I've ever seen in the back seat of any 4 door, minus the S550 Executive package.
Two more things to note: the glass is twice as thick as anything else I've driven aside from the S550. Speaking of the S550/560: the GV80 drives very similar. This is the SUV Mercedes should have built as an option to the S550/560. I've got plenty of time in the S-class for the comparison.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, I swear we’ve talked about that braking thing with cruise before too. I forgot does it actually use the service brakes or just go into regen?

I used to think it was just regen, but the brake lights come on when going downhill...so that means service brakes right?

I used to think it was just regen, but the brake lights come on when going downhill...so that means service brakes right?

We talked about that too now that I think of it. All EV/hybrid vehicles will still show brake lights on regen.

We talked about that too now that I think of it. All EV/hybrid vehicles will still show brake lights on regen.

The 2nd gen Prius I had, did not.

Yeah, having the brake lights on the entire distance from the summit to Los Gatos (or summit to Scotts Valley) is dumb and unsafe.

regen to decelerate = brake lights: good

regen to maintain speed = brake lights: bad

Bugs the crap out of me...I certainly hope that the Lyriq doesn't do this. I'll update you later this year.

You guys talking about hypermiling your Corvettes and Priuses really makes this thread fun. :p

Daytona 24 hour is this weekend.

DIS-2022-Rolex24-1024x512-1-1024x500.jpg

[YOUTUBE]-xqRB0hi12U[/YOUTUBE]

Back