• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Cars that make your jaw drop.

A few shots from the Velocity Invitational on Friday

https://i.imgur.com/vSsVQPn.mp4

9Tn9j1Sh.jpg

OoDo5BAh.jpg

BFocvmXh.jpg

W3D5BoSh.jpg

6PwXsNhh.jpg

K3fog9Yh.jpg

dymfizph.jpg

xBbKjKfh.jpg

BlLi3pVh.jpg

dCJqn4Lh.jpg

It's crazy to be able to walk around all these multi-million dollar cars. That 250 TR must be worth at least ten million :shocker

My new YouTube obsession: LS swapped '69 LeMans abusing tires in Sweden.

[youtube]pLdSDyATsGw?si=Cwmsa2PRA7Ot6rvi[/youtube]

[youtube]AFK4qM9BK58?si=yb1W7H4OLDNz1tZw[/youtube]

[youtube]Bw-LjqN1Q4Y?si=T_SR8Hib9EGqzI8t[/youtube]

Those were great...! :thumbup

The train fly by... why?? :laughing

Today was a most excellent day! Three separate things, but all sorta interconnected.

Had lunch today with a good friend (friend #1 - who's a machinist) and one of his good friends (friend #2 - who's a pilot).

First item.
Friend #2 is into twin engine planes and Pitts Special's, light aerobatic biplanes.
#2 wanting a bit more power in the Pitts than the 6 cylinder boxer motor provides (~250hp), is building a 413ci, 500HP, aluminum block SBC from Chevrolet Performance. It has custom aluminum heads from a specialty company that I'd never heard of. Plus lots of other cool stuff.

Friend #1 has made/modified/making lots of custom parts for the plane. Stuff like mounts for the engine to sit the air frame, intake manifold runners/plenum, exhaust headers, oil pan mods (it's a dry sump), oil tanks, water tanks, the pumps are driven off the crank and cam gears. etc, etc.
I naively asked why he was doing all this and he said "it's" such a fun plane, pointed straight up, smiled and said: "to get to 12,000' under 2 minutes".

What would normally been about a 45 min lunch turned into almost a 2 hours lunch. Great way to spend a "lunch hour"!

Item two.
Returned to Friend #1's machine shop and was greeted by Mike who has the Land Rover shop next door. Mike's father was big in Aston Martin and Land Rover in the '50's, '60's and '70s. Mike was showing us some pictures from the 1956 Mille Miglia race. His dad was there with Aston Martin.

This pic was taken from the Ferrari 860 Monza, car #551, by Louis Klemantaski and driven by Peter Collins. The two cars in front are the #556 Ferrari 860 Monza and the #548 Ferrari 290 MM. The drivers look like they were shaking hands BUT they were actually passing a cigarette. :rofl :thumbup
Oh, car numbers were assigned (painted on) with the "time" they left the start line. #548 = 5:48AM and cars released at one minute intervals.

Item three.
After leaving the machine shop I was off to the automotive machine shop to check on / pickup my stuff. Crankshaft, harmonic balancer, rods, pistons, flywheel, pressure plate all balanced and ready to go. Got the block last week.
New camshaft just needs the cam retaining plate and new gear pressed on. :teeth
The two new CS (351 and 427) motors were gone but another super cool motor was there going to get freshened up a bit. It's from the #7 Eleanor Mustang car. Yes, that Eleanor! Actually there were 11 or 12 cars for the movie and #7 being one of the three surviving cars. Way :cool

Well that was my day. Hope yours was great too!

Attachments

• 1956 MM Ferrari's Cig.jpg
    1956 MM Ferrari's Cig.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 24
  • 1956 Mille Miglia Race.jpg
    1956 Mille Miglia Race.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Great entertaining read! Thanks FLH!

At a fundraiser for Max Toth.

Some four wheel bling here.

Attachments