• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Cars that make your jaw drop.

Now back on point...
The Buick Wildcat is pretty damn :cool

Attachments

• Buick Wildcat EV.jpg
    Buick Wildcat EV.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 27
  • Buick Wildcat.jpg
    Buick Wildcat.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 27
  • Buick_Wildcat.jpg
    Buick_Wildcat.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 27
  • Buick-Wildcat.jpg
    Buick-Wildcat.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 21
  • Buick- -Wildcat.jpg
    Buick- -Wildcat.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 30
A Miata can be a jaw dropping car for a gear head, but a mini van? :laughing

IIRC correctly this was the Miata concept image that you put in the same sentence as a mini van.

Mazda-Iconic-SP-Concept-Car-10-scaled-1.jpg

Isn't that a concept of the "RX-10"? ... with a rotary motor they keep threatening to make?

http://www.supercarworld.com/cgi-bin/showgeneral.cgi?1065

MX is not RX, and that's from like 10 years ago.... :laughing

I still see mini-vans on the road; where's this?

Isn't that a concept of the "RX-10"? ... with a rotary motor they keep threatening to make?

New concept from last year so might be Miata, might be RX as evidently they are talking a rotary/EV hybrid which I'm not sure makes much sense but my Dad wasn't a mechanical engineer so I know nothing.

Had a couple hours to spend in Scottsdale and found the Penske museum nestled between Ferrari and Lamborghini dealerships on a rather large multi dealership compound. 8 or 9 cars so wandering dealerships was expected. I thought Roger’s ‘66? Pontiac Catalina black race car was kinda cool but not enough to photo. There was a high six figure Ferrari with a keyed door lock!:wtf

https://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=561122&stc=1&d=1713115458
https://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=561123&stc=1&d=1713115464
https://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=561124&stc=1&d=1713115464
https://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=561125&stc=1&d=1713115464

Attachments

• IMG_6814.jpg
    IMG_6814.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_6813.jpg
    IMG_6813.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_6811.jpeg
    IMG_6811.jpeg
    139.5 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_6812.jpeg
    IMG_6812.jpeg
    138.6 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Had a couple hours to spend in Scottsdale and found the Penske museum nestled between Ferrari and Lamborghini dealerships on a rather large multi dealership compound. 8 or 9 cars so wandering dealerships was expected. I thought Roger’s ‘66? Pontiac Catalina black race car was kinda cool but not enough to photo. There was a high six figure Ferrari with a keyed door lock!:wtf

I saw that whole compound over there about five years ago. Pretty impressive operation. Thats when I realized that the Penske auto group seemed to be doing quite well. Eventually wound up working for them and saw firsthand that they have no qualms about reinvesting in the business.

Case in point, the dealer I was working for previously, the shop air compressor crapped out. Kind of a vital piece of equipment in a busy shop. As the foreman, I made an executive decision to rush out to Sears that day and buy a little 3gal compressor, just so we’d have something to inflate tires. Many of the guys had electric power tools, though some still had air, so we weren’t totally crippled. How long did it take to get a new compressor? Because the owner was extraordinarily cheap, he got some brand I’d never heard of on a slow boat from China. Took 3 months. So 3 months of us moving this little baby compressor around to do tires. So much productivity lost.

Similar situation happened at the Penske store. The tire balancing machine was getting a bit wonky. Still worked, but was being fussy. So maybe we had to spend a little extra time balancing tires…which of course robs productivity. Company came out to repair it and said it needed some part that was backordered for awhile. Some calls got made to upper management, and we had a brand new $30k machine in there the very next day.

:laughing Mid-engine mini. Don't spill your coffee down those "cupholders".

Now about that Buick straight 8.
"Bombshell Betty" a 1952 Buick Super Riviera landspeed racer. 324ci Buick inline-eight. BorgWarner T-10 4spd trans, 9" diff. 340hp and 165.735 mph at Bonneville Salt Flats in 2013.
[YOUTUBE]olhJD6Qu9js[/YOUTUBE]

Attachments

• Buick 8.jpg
    Buick 8.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 24
  • Buick 8 -2.jpg
    Buick 8 -2.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 25
  • Buick 8 Engine.jpg
    Buick 8 Engine.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 25
  • Buick 8 - 3.jpg
    Buick 8 - 3.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 25
there's someone on the local facebook marketplace trying to sell a "rebuild" but disassembled buick straight 8 for 6k... meanwhile one can find a running straight 8 powered car for similar. :rolleyes

there have been some pretty successful adaptations of LS heads to ford 300 inline 6 engines (with some welding of course) i wonder if that's possible on the straight 8... turbo cross flow inline 8 :drool

Never considered the aerodynamics of a bullet bra.

A guy I worked with always talked about welding 2 straight 8s inline to make a straight 16.
He thought he had all the details worked out. Lol

I've seen a GMC V12 truck engine, '60's vintage, basically two V6's mated together to make a V12. Sorta like this one but with custom intakes and Lucas mechanical fuel injection.
Thing was was pretty wicked sounding. :laughing

Attachments

• GMC V12.jpg
    GMC V12.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 25
There used to be a company that built a V16 out of two small block Chevy’s. And for a bit extra, they could stuff it into a Chevy tow vehicle/truck. Apparently it made an excellent tow rig.

There used to be a company that built a V16 out of two small block Chevy’s. And for a bit extra, they could stuff it into a Chevy tow vehicle/truck. Apparently it made an excellent tow rig.

Sounds like a lot of hassle for little gain since there already exists off the shelf more suitable tow truck engines.

Back