• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Mountain Bike?

JnglstTICAL said:
So is there a bike purchase in your future?

Yes, yes there is.

I'd venture to say that buying a pedalbike is worse than choosing what Motorcycle you want :p

Hardtail, FS, brand, etc... There's so many different suspension designs for FS, etc. It's hard to pick what is good and what's not. Even reading the MTBR reviews is hard because you can't be totally sure about what people you've never met on an online message board think.

So, naturally, I ask over here. On an online message board. To people I've never met. :D Except Greg (bicyclemech1). I almost bought his FZR a few times.

Like I said before, I'm kinda leaning towards the Rockhopper Disc ($629 @ Local Shop), but if paying a few hundred more for a discounted lower end FS is a better option, I can probably swing that. I'm okay with spending a little more now to get a frame and/or bike style that will last me longer and allow me to upgrade components as I go (or as they fail)

Does that make sense?

mikev said:
but if paying a few hundred more for a discounted lower end FS is a better option, I can probably swing that. I'm okay with spending a little more now to get a frame and/or bike style that will last me longer and allow me to upgrade components as I go (or as they fail)

Does that make sense?

:thumbup

okay, then I am going to take another look at the Fuel today

thanks!

mikev said:
okay, then I am going to take another look at the Fuel today

thanks!

What size are you looking for?

A lower end FS bike can last you a long time. It's just so easy to upgrade with all the used stuff out there on eBay. And upgrades are so much cheaper than they are on motorcycles.

I started off with a 600 dollar Specialized FSR XC as a backup bike. Over the next few months, it became a $1100 backup bike.

- Mike

mikev said:
but if paying a few hundred more for a discounted lower end FS is a better option, I can probably swing that. I'm okay with spending a little more now to get a frame and/or bike style that will last me longer and allow me to upgrade components as I go (or as they fail)

Does that make sense?
I might just have what you are looking for depending on your size. I have a MEDIUM '05 Stumpjumper FSR 100 with a few upgraded parts here and there that I was gonna sell as soon as I had time to clean, tune, and mount the brand new Avid disk brakes. Probably in the $850 range.

Harpo said:
I might just have what you are looking for depending on your size. I have a MEDIUM '05 Stumpjumper FSR 100 with a few upgraded parts here and there that I was gonna sell as soon as I had time to clean, tune, and mount the brand new Avid disk brakes. Probably in the $850 range.

5'7 30" inseam... Let me know and I can beg/borrow/steal the money if need be.

mikev said:
5'7 30" inseam... Let me know and I can beg/borrow/steal the money if need be.
It's your size. Gimme a few days to get it tuned and together and I'll probably replace all the cables as well so everything is in great shape.

PS Check your pm's

Damn Harpo, you've really got me thinking about that Enduro now...

CityBikeMike said:
Damn Harpo, you've really got me thinking about that Enduro now...
I'd say offer him $2500. If he takes it, ... Make It Yours!!

Harpo said:
I'd say offer him $2500. If he takes it, ... Make It Yours!!

Arrrrrrggggghhhh.........

For Sale

2005 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR 120 Pro Frame
w/ '06 Manitou Minute 4:00 (this fork was $700 new) an XT Front derailleur and Specialized headset.

All for $800

See Details Here

Let me know if you want more pix and I'll email them to you

3085957-lowresframe_fork.jpg

Other's will be out there soon.
OR, talk to Eric at PHC. I'm sure he'd hook you up.

After a recent M.I. I'm going to get back on my epiphany... slowly but surely. (I'm fooking 34 years old!!!)

Bumpin a good thread.

Rob said:
(I'm fooking 34 years old!!!)
If your "fooking" a 34 year old, ...then thumbs-up to you. :sex :thumbup

If your bitchin' about being 34 years old, ... then suck it up and quit your whinin' :twofinger

Harpo said:
If your "fooking" a 34 year old, ...then thumbs-up to you. :sex :thumbup

If your bitchin' about being 34 years old, ... then suck it up and quit your whinin' :twofinger

Tell em about your birthday present, old man!

;)

Last edited:
CityBikeMike said:
Tell em about your birthday present, old man!

;)
Which one?? Do you mean my birthday morning ride, my car wash, ... or something completely different that I can't figure out as my 42 year old brain doesn't work anymore. :wtf

PS. Damn wipper-snappers. When I was your age (34) I had to walk cough, cough 18 mile to school, ... bear foot, .... in the snow, .... up hill, ... In Both Directions :wow ;)

Back