• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Mountain Bike?

zookrider98 said:
I'm "looking" at an enduro right now.... Just not sure if i want a 32+ lb bike when i'm used to my 24lb. i guess suspension travel has a price somewhere.
Do you mean the Enduro or the Enduro SL. They are completely different bikes. The SL is a lot more XC/climb friendly then it's brother, "The Enduro."

There's definitely a few 6inch bikes out there now that weigh in under 30lbs and have pretty damn good pro-pedal. Mikey's new ride (all though just over 30lbs as it sits) and my Nomad (at about 29) are just 2 of several.

I also have an '05 S-Works Stumpy FSR which in it's day was a lean, mean, xc machine and unless the ride is all smooth, fire road climbs, my Nomad will stomp the shit out of it without leaving my body stomped to shit.

Harpo said:
Do you mean the Enduro or the Enduro SL. They are completely different bikes. The SL is a lot more XC/climb friendly then it's brother, "The Enduro."

There's definitely a few 6inch bikes out there now that weigh in under 30lbs and have pretty damn good pro-pedal. Mikey's new ride (all though just over 30lbs as it sits) and my Nomad (at about 29) are just 2 of several.

I also have an '05 S-Works Stumpy FSR which in it's day was a lean, mean, xc machine and unless the ride is all smooth, fire road climbs, my Nomad will stomp the shit out of it without leaving my body stomped to shit.

It's an enduro expert. That is why i'm debating. It is setup nice and the price is very reasonable.

All right Boy's somebody teach me how to ride this new bike I picked up tonight. Marin Rock Springs I am totaly new to this sport and looking for help starting me from the ground up. Baby Steps with Jumps of course:laughing
I have not touched a peddle bike in over 10 years. so any help would be great.
Well here is my Schweet new ride to get my fast I mean Fat ass in shape.:laughing
3159372-new_bike.jpg

Thanks,

Danno

zookrider98 said:
It's an enduro expert. That is why i'm debating. It is setup nice and the price is very reasonable.
Dude, unless you are a serious all mountain, huckin' kinda dude, the Enduro SL is probably one of the sweetest bikes you can get for the $$. And it will definitely be a better pedaling /climbing bike then the Enduro while still allowing most riders to conquer all in they're paths with 6 plush, very tunable inches of travel.

Hmmmm, maybe I ought to be a Specialized salesman. Boy is my Nomad ever gonna be pissed at me if it reads this crap. :twofinger :laughing :laughing :laughing

2nsane said:
All right Boy's somebody teach me how to ride this new bike I picked up tonight. Marin Rock Springs I am totaly new to this sport and looking for help starting me from the ground up. Baby Steps with Jumps of course:laughing
Well here is my Schweet new ride to get my fast I mean Fat ass in shape.:laughing
Thanks,

Danno
I don't know shit about Marin but it looks like a pretty sweet rig. Sure doesn't look like a newbie rig though. Good luck.

Re: Danno...

Don't know much about the Marin, but where are you located and when can you ride?

+1 on the Enduro SL... but I still love my Santa Cruz(s) :cool

2nsane said:

Thanks,

Danno
:cool

Harpo said:
Dude, unless you are a serious all mountain, huckin' kinda dude, the Enduro SL is probably one of the sweetest bikes you can get for the $$. And it will definitely be a better pedaling /climbing bike then the Enduro while still allowing most riders to conquer all in they're paths with 6 plush, very tunable inches of travel.

Hmmmm, maybe I ought to be a Specialized salesman. Boy is my Nomad ever gonna be pissed at me if it reads this crap. :twofinger :laughing :laughing :laughing

Thanks for the info Joe. I did come across a brand new 06 Nomad for $2800. I offered $2500 cause it's been sitting for quite some time in the shop.

Re: Re: Danno...

dking said:
Don't know much about the Marin, but where are you located and when can you ride?

+1 on the Enduro SL... but I still love my Santa Cruz(s) :cool

:cool
I am in San Mateo, Looks like this week is pretty much shot for me:(, going camping fri-mon but next weekend I am free.

Re: 2nsane

2nsane said:
I am in San Mateo, Looks like this week is pretty much shot for me:(, going camping fri-mon but next weekend I am free.

That's ok... looks like this week will just be a quick Fremont Older ride on Thursday after work. Next week... maybe Saratoga Gap... Next weekend... maybe Downieville!! :cool

dsantos said:
mountain bike?
xup.jpg
Am I mistaken or is the Dumbass in the second picture NOT wearing a helmet? If he isn't, someone might want to tell him he's a Dumbass.

Hmmm, did I even spell Dumnass correctly? :wtf

zookrider98 said:
Thanks for the info Joe. I did come across a brand new 06 Nomad for $2800. I offered $2500 cause it's been sitting for quite some time in the shop.
Dude, what are the components on the Nomad. If they are halfway decent, ... fork over the money and prepare to ride one sweet machine.

PS. If the rear shock is a Fox DHX 5 and the fork is a Talas 36, .... that's a real good starting point. Everything else can be upgraded later.

Harpo said:
Mikey, who is that rider?Man, ... I'd have to think long and hard about going through that rock garden.

No clue, I found the pics on the Northstar website.

I'm pretty sure that's the middle section of Karpiel. I had done all the single black diamond trails already, and wanted to know what the easiest double black was. The course workers told me it was Karpiel

As you can see, it wasn't exactly a piece of cake ;)

FWIW, I walked that whole section. Right underneath the chairlifts, with everyone looking at me. That was a loooong freakin' walk...

Last edited:
Harpo said:
Dude, what are the components on the Nomad. If they are halfway decent, ... fork over the money and prepare to ride one sweet machine.

PS. If the rear shock is a Fox DHX 5 and the fork is a Talas 36, .... that's a real good starting point. Everything else can be upgraded later.

It is full XT, I am pretty sure the breaks were XT also , fox talas 36 fork, and DHX 5.0 air rear shock

I went in today to drool. It has Juicy seven's , not XT. The guy first told me to give him an offer cause they need the room on the floor. So i said $2500 and he came back with $2800 + tax. He said that Santa cruz will not let them sell the bike that cheap. I was thinking BS. I may offer $2800 OTD i'll see what i can do.

Last edited:
Back