• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Mountain Bike?

Yeah, I'm interested. I haven't ridden my MTB in a while, but I do know how to pedal. I figure I'm in the newbie category. I'll catch people on the ups, but lose them on the downs for sure!

I was thinking of possibly doing a China Camp ride on Sunday. Depending on the ability levels of the people interested, we could split the ride into a couple of different groups.

We've been doing the front side of China Camp, which has some wide singletrack, a gentle climb - nothing too gnarly. The "other trails" at China Camp have some narrow singletrack, gnarly downhills, mega-tight switchbacks, and a 1/3 mile lung buster of a climb. It's actually off-limits to bikes, so anyone who goes must do so at their own discretion. Mountain bike specific forums generally shun anyone who speaks about them online.

I wanna hit the "other trails" on Sunday, but if some less experienced riders are interested in going, there are options.

I can't do Sunday as that will be a super easy ride with Tracy, Yody, if you wanna bring your girlfriend, let me know. Monday morning I'm down for whatever. Family coming over for xmas eve in the evening.

Tamarancho should be cherry this weekend. Lots of grip, very fast, a little techy, and HELLA fun.

I want to get out there as early as possible tomorrow (Saturday). We are shooting to leave at 8:30.

If anyone else wants to come out and put the hammer down, lemme know. The ride will be like a series of intervals, basically sprinting (is there any other kind of riding?) short sections, and then stopping to regroup and discuss how much flippin sweeter each section was than the last.

Beer in Fairfax to follow ride.

It's me and two others right now. All are welcome to join in the shredding. Also happy to carpool/caravan from the EB.

Tamarancho should be cherry this weekend. Lots of grip, very fast, a little techy, and HELLA fun.

I want to get out there as early as possible tomorrow (Saturday). We are shooting to leave at 8:30.

If anyone else wants to come out and put the hammer down, lemme know. The ride will be like a series of intervals, basically sprinting (is there any other kind of riding?) short sections, and then stopping to regroup and discuss how much flippin sweeter each section was than the last.

Beer in Fairfax to follow ride.

It's me and two others right now. All are welcome to join in the shredding. Also happy to carpool/caravan from the EB.

Possibly... I'll need to ditch work somehow and get some breakfast in

Ryan, Solis is putting something together for tomorrow (Saturday) but there is no possibility I'm gonna be peddlin' before 10:00 am or later.

Sorry, not only am I old and slow but I'm also a pussy when it comes to cold weather. :twofinger :teeth

(unless I've got ski clothes on which I don't tend to wear riding my bike) :twofinger x 10 :laughing :laughing :laughing

Well, I'm down for something a little closer, since it sounds like we're doing China Camp Snday.

aka, I'd consider somewhere in palo alto or maybe east bay..

That's a lot of driving in 2 days.

Last edited:
The last thing I want to do is turn Tracy off of MTBing. Where can I go that will be nice and flat but will have some terrain to play on? Close to home would be nice.

The last thing I want to do is turn Tracy off of MTBing. Where can I go that will be nice and flat but will have some terrain to play on? Close to home would be nice.

John, I still have to go with the two I recommended earlier. At China Camp, you would start where we started last time, heading east along the trail that runs alongside the paved road. Where it starts to climb at the very end is where you would turn around, returning to the parking lot on the same trail.

At Coyote Hills, I like to park on the south side of 84 by the preserve, cross the walkway over the top of the toll booths, then go around all the hills. If you want more exercise, you can go straight over them.

I'll post route maps of each tomorrow.

I can't do Sunday as that will be a super easy ride with Tracy, Yody, if you wanna bring your girlfriend, let me know. Monday morning I'm down for whatever. Family coming over for xmas eve in the evening.

I for sure want to ride Sunday but it says chance of rain in the forecast. Hmmm, we'll have to figure something out. How many miles do you think Tracy will be good for? I took my g/f out to inspiration point and rode about 4-6 miles total out to san Pablo Ridge, lot of cement path with a little dirt. She did okay, I was bored :|:laughing I think its good for newbies, its pretty easy and has plenty of pavement to get comfortable. And its close by

Last edited:
Ok, I just fiddled with my bike for the last hour or two.

Wow, derailer adjustment and tension is a tricky thing to understand. I can't figure out the sweet spot for the rear derailer now that the chain is missing one tooth. I can't get full range on all 3 of the front rings.

Anyone have a simple way to determine the cable length in the rear derailer? Then the two rear screw adjustments, followed by the two front screws?

Thanks in advance.

Ok, I just fiddled with my bike for the last hour or two.

Wow, derailer adjustment and tension is a tricky thing to understand. I can't figure out the sweet spot for the rear derailer now that the chain is missing one tooth. I can't get full range on all 3 of the front rings.

Anyone have a simple way to determine the cable length in the rear derailer? Then the two rear screw adjustments, followed by the two front screws?

Thanks in advance.
You don't get full range. All three front rings don't each work all the back rings.

Sorry, no time for the full lesson right now but the super edited version (of the lesson) says, ... just break the rear cassette into three portions for the 3 rings in front.

You don't get full range. All three front rings don't each work all the back rings.

Sorry, no time for the full lesson right now but the super edited version (of the lesson) says, ... just break the rear cassette into three portions for the 3 rings in front.

front to back, deltas will overlap

seriously, am I gonna haveto start busting out my dirt gear for this? :confused

Yody, give me a call tomorrow after noon. I'm teaching in the morning, and Tracy's bike needs a seatpost, everything else is together, oh, and a shim stack for the headset. I got the wrong size post, and I don't want to have to cut down the one I have, it's part of a set. Looking for a 250 mm 31.6 diameter post. If I locate one right after work tomorrow, we could probably ride for a couple of hours. Let's figure out where.

I'll PM you my numbers.

oh, and check this ride out:

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/3282682

seriously, am I gonna haveto start busting out my dirt gear for this? :confused

Yody, give me a call tomorrow after noon. I'm teaching in the morning, and Tracy's bike needs a seatpost, everything else is together, oh, and a shim stack for the headset. I got the wrong size post, and I don't want to have to cut down the one I have, it's part of a set. Looking for a 250 mm 31.6 diameter post. If I locate one right after work tomorrow, we could probably ride for a couple of hours. Let's figure out where.

I'll PM you my numbers.

oh, and check this ride out:

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/3282682

I was thinking of heading out at around lunch or earlier. If we end up lagging and go out later I'll for sure give you a buzz. If not have fun with Tracy and for sure next time we'll all go out, we'll make it work :thumbup

You guys wearin these mtn riding these days? :)

I've been down scetchier trails on the pedal bike than any of my dirt motos, also being clipped in cuts out your dabbing reaction. So the MX pants are just a start (knee/elbo/chest protector) depending on what trails we plan riding.

We did the top 1/3 of Skeggs, not bad really, little more climbing because the trails are steeper. If you stay up top you can get away with moderate climbs, if you bomb all the way down then you get to experience what everyone rags about.

Park LEOs out in force at Skeggs, I got one to clock me so I could tell what 15 (posted limit) mph felt like, it is really slow.

Also looking for a Fox RLC(100/130) and one of these RP2/RP23 (6.50x1.50)

Last edited:
Back