• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Mountain Bike?

The Garage is open,

And I have some time off work.

My apologies to Bap for spacing off on the spacers. Hope you got that sorted.

D-Fresh: I know it's a drive up here to Concord, but I can dial your drivetrain and take you for a sweeeet short single track loop right outside my door and work on dialing in your suspension too.

FwnDg: I have a FOX Float RC that I will swap for your Pushed Float R if interested. The RC has a lever that stiffens up the ride about 25% for climbing. Set the sag at 40% for downhill plush and reach down and flick the lever for climbing. The Push set-up utilizes a higher initial bump threshold to stiffen for climbing, in combination with softer valving (larger valving orifices) to make mid stroke and end stroke more plush. It works well for a hands off system, but I think the lever works better. I got good at a quick reach down to flick the lever. We can swap it out and you can test it out for a couple of weeks. Can't remember what fork your using, but I'm sure I can tune it for you. Even cheap forks work great if they are tuned well and clean.

Garage is open. If you got christmas swag, bring it by.

Last edited:
I'll be rolling back from Sacramento on Wednesday (day after xmas). I could probably cruise by around 3 and do a little run if that works for you?

PM me your number Greg.

Mike and I were discussing bash guards and it seems like a good idea to change out that big front ring to one. I have a bad habit of hitting my thumb knuckle on the "drop a gear" button.

Thanks!

I'll be rolling back from Sacramento on Wednesday (day after xmas). I could probably cruise by around 3 and do a little run if that works for you?

PM me your number Greg.

Mike and I were discussing bash guards and it seems like a good idea to change out that big front ring to one. I have a bad habit of hitting my thumb knuckle on the "drop a gear" button.

Thanks!

You dropped your chain a few times on the ride yesterday - I was thinking the bash guard + shorter chain might prevent that from happening.

Rotating the bars so the levers were flatter helped alleviate the accidental shifting I was experiencing with the SRAM push-push levers. If you wanted to switch to Shimano, you'd need to change both your shifter pods and your rear derailleur.

If anybody is looking for a MTB let me know. When it comes to toys, I subscribe to "use it or sell it". It's a Medium Giant NRS Air, with some nice components (thompson seat post, mavic wheels, etc..). I'll let it go pretty cheap.

Joe... sorry, I checked the price and I was way off.

http://www.bikebandit.com/product/6416

Answer are for sale though http://www.bikebandit.com/product/9204
Thanx Sunny, just did some shopping around and ordered a pair for $29 + Tax and free shipping :teeth If I like them when they arrive I will order more. Should definitely be the sweet setup for winter riding and DH any time of the year. Check out the site. http://www.ridegear.com/rg/item/F-36779/Answer/Syncron-Pants.html

PM me your number Greg.

Thanks!
Everette 1) Bash guards are the shiznit. The big ring is worthless anyway. You'll never miss it. 2) You have a better chance of getting sex from the hottest chick in the bar by merely walking up to her and asking her for sex, ... then you would have of Gregory returning a phone call. :laughing :laughing :laughing

If anybody is looking for a MTB let me know. When it comes to toys, I subscribe to "use it or sell it". It's a Medium Giant NRS Air, with some nice components (thompson seat post, mavic wheels, etc..). I'll let it go pretty cheap.

Can you post a pic of it? What year? Thats one of the models i'm considering

Merry Christmas everyone. I need to get a ride in today... Rockville sounds nice. :thumbup

Merry Christmas everyone. I need to get a ride in today... Rockville sounds nice. :thumbup
Yea, me too, Coooouuugghhhhh, .... Coooouuugghhhhh,, ... Hack, ... Hack, ... weeeeeeze, ... sniffle, sniffle, sniffle, BLLLOOOOOWWWWW!!
On second thought, maybe I'll just sit at home with my vaporizer and Vicks Vapor Rub. :( :cry

Yea, happy friggen horridays. Boo Hoo! Bah Humbug!!:cry :cry :cry

Which one do you have and use? (Bash guard..)
E-13 on the DH bike and Black Spire on the Nomad. (At the time I was looking, Black Spire was one of the only bash guards for the XTR 960 cranks)

There are plenty of great items out there though. :thumbup

PS. I've run bash guards instead of a big ring for 2+ years now and have never (not once) missed my big ring.

Can you post a pic of it? What year? Thats one of the models i'm considering

normal_229762986_768948040_0.jpg

normal_229763329_768949312_0.jpg

It's a 2003, sized Medium in awesome shape. From what I can surmise the added parts are: Fox RP3 Shock, Fox Talas RLC Fork, thomson seatpost, kona DH stem, Mavic X223 wheels, FSA drivetrain in some parts & XTR/XT in others. Got it in trade when I sold my MX bike, I thought it would help fill the void. The guy worked a bike shop and out of his 15 bikes, barely rode it.

Did ya'll have a nice holiday weekend?

Rode a couple of new-to-me trails -- Tamarancho and Skeggs were both really fun!:) Can't wait to go back.

Hmmm...been a while since I've gone to JMP......I need my fix!:p

I've also been thinking about XC racing for next year...

Bap, ever get out with your wife?

yes.... and no

She putted around in front of the house and almost crashed twice :laughing

She's gonna need to get used to not being able to put her feet on the ground while on the seat. Which means, she'll not be clipping in for a little while. She's also not feeling so well in her condition so the opportunities to ride have been few and far between. We're planning to go somewhere this coming weekend. Also, turns out the Saturday before the big ride, on the scouting run, I did crack two ribs landing on the handlebar. They're healing up, but it's still hard to breathe deep and cough, sneezing is basically out of the question.

I need to get my fix though so if anyone is planning to play hooky one morning this week, please let me know and we can do JMP. :)

My apologies to Bap for spacing off on the spacers. Hope you got that sorted.

Don't even trip Gregory, Tracy and I really appreciate all the hard work you put into getting Tracy's bike together. I did get some spacers, and found a seatpost that will work as a spare. The guys I bought the seatposts shims from are sending me a free one in 31.6 mm since none of them got here before x-mas, so I will still be able to use the FSA k-force post I got her.

Pics of the complete bike will be coming in a day or two, as well as pics of Mikey's old bike with a facelift. :teeth

It's a 2003, sized Medium in awesome shape. From what I can surmise the added parts are: Fox RP3 Shock, Fox Talas RLC Fork, thomson seatpost, kona DH stem, Mavic X223 wheels, FSA drivetrain in some parts & XTR/XT in others. Got it in trade when I sold my MX bike, I thought it would help fill the void. The guy worked a bike shop and out of his 15 bikes, barely rode it.

Jer, that sounds like a sweet ride. If the price is right, jump on it bro.

She putted around in front of the house and almost crashed twice :laughing

Has she tried knee / elbow pads? Lisa still uses the set I got her - it helped her get past that initial fear of falling.

Also, I was wondering what kind of bar extenders you put on the Specialized? A chirpractor Lisa works with told her to try some, just to take the strain off of her wrist.

Rode a couple of new-to-me trails -- Tamarancho and Skeggs were both really fun!:) Can't wait to go back.

If you try Demo or Annadel, you may not want to ;)

I've also been thinking about XC racing for next year...

I've heard good things about the CCCX series and the and Lake Sonoma series:

http://www.cccx.org
http://www.bikemonkey.net/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.sonomaSeries2007

Has she tried knee / elbow pads? Lisa still uses the set I got her - it helped her get past that initial fear of falling.

Also, I was wondering what kind of bar extenders you put on the Specialized? A chirpractor Lisa works with told her to try some, just to take the strain off of her wrist.

I'll get her some pads and see if they up her confidence.

I got Specialized bar ends at the local shop, you can check them out when I see you. I've got your wheel at my house.

Lisa still uses the set I got her - it helped her get past that initial fear of falling.

I'm always going to wear my knee/elbow pads, despite how comfortable I get with falling:rofl It always happens when I least expect it ---like when Betty jumps in front of me on a downhill:x

:laughing

Last edited:
I got Specialized bar ends at the local shop, you can check them out when I see you. I've got your wheel at my house.

One of my Xmas gifts to myself was an XT cassette. Since the cassette we put on the Stumpjumper for Jeremy is now liberated, I'll swing by after work over the next couple of days for a parts swap.

Both those trails are on my to do list ;)

I saw your to-do list on MTBR - it's a good one ;)

Back