• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Mountain Bike?

What time are you thinking of riding tomorrow? I might be in the area to grab those bar ends - thinking of giving $2 Hill a go on the Specialized as well :) I haven't cleaned that climb since I picked up my Cannondale in 2004...

I was waiting for it to warm up, but I think I'm gonna stay home. It was wet all last night and all morning. Still coming down lightly cause of the fog. But I'll be home, so give me a call if you want to swing by.

I'm guessing smoking didn't help...

Also, my Dad had a heart attack on Monday at the age of 63 (he is OK). He has been a smoker for the last 30 years. Time for you to quit John.. think of the kid! :)

Sorry to hear about your dad Ev. I'm gonna try to go cold turkey on New Years bro, wish me luck.

I have Specialized Stout Disc Wheelset for sale. Stout Disc Hubs/DT 1.8g Spokes w/Aluminum Nipples and Mavic X317 Rims. 1950 gr. includes front oversize quickrelease. Wheelset is round and true with no dents, dings, or bends. Just retensioned and spot trued.
PM if you want a picture, but they look like wheels

Dammit. Why couldn't you and Mikey have been a couple of months early on these? I would have bought both sets instead of the terramaxes and the vueltas :mad

I have Specialized Stout Disc Wheelset for sale. Stout Disc Hubs/DT 1.8g Spokes w/Aluminum Nipples and Mavic X317 Rims. 1950 gr. includes front oversize quickrelease. Wheelset is round and true with no dents, dings, or bends. Just retensioned and spot trued.
PM if you want a picture, but they look like wheels

Would have taken those if I didn't already have wheels on the way...

When do you want to jog Roxy! I've been running every day since I busted my wing. I'm up to an easy 3 miles at a decent pace and could easily push myself further. My legs feel great.

I ran a 4-miler yesterday -- first run in almost 3 weeks!! I was fine until I got home and then my upper quads and calves started to cramp up. My running legs are sore today.

Where have you been running?

Last edited:
Dammit. Why couldn't you and Mikey have been a couple of months early on these? I would have bought both sets instead of the terramaxes and the vueltas :mad

Wish I could have gotten my replacement set sooner! I spent part of the morning cleaning up the Crosslands, so I can put them up on eBay / craigslist soon. An identical silver set that was in used but mint condition just fetched $130...

If you ordered them from Performance, you should be able to return them to a retail store. Lisa's doing that with the Christmas gifts that arrived about half a week late, despite the two-day shipping she requested in the middle of last week.

I ran a 4-miler yesterday -- first run in almost 3 weeks!! I was fine until I got home and then my upper quads and calves started to cramp up. My running legs are sore today.

Speaking of running, is anyone else doing Napa? It's only 9 weeks away...

Right now I'm running a Vanilla R Fox front fork 130MM on my softail(really hardtail for the most part) bike, it works good but it came off my Girlfriends bike which got some funky 80MM fork on it. My buddy is trying to hook me up with a 2005 Manitou nixon elite fork with 145MM travel thats adjustable. I would put the manitou on my bike and then put the fox back on my g/f's 05 Jameson Dakar.

They are both coil spring forks. I would put my Fox back on my g/f's bike and run the manitou, anyone think this would be a good idea? Or should I just stick with the fox? Mike gave me some good pointers and right now I'm thinking about going with the manitou for the extra travel and adjustability, but I was reading some reviews and a bunch of people said the the manitou has lousy compression/rebound adjustments that don't really do much??

Have any of you ridden Mori Point or any other trails in Pacifica?

What trail were most of those DH vids/shots taken?

What trail were most of those DH vids/shots taken?

Not sure which trails you're referring to, but the popular ones are at Montara Mountain.

The Crack - steep, mega gnarly downhill descent in a crevasse
Boy Scout - a fast trail that descends under the canopy of trees with lots of built up jumps
Mile - a fast rocky downhill, criss-crossed with ruts and babyheads

Crack and Mile are supposedly do-able in the wet, but Boy Scout gets muddy.

Some footage: http://www.petefagerlin.com/video/aweebitocrack.wmv

Where have you been running?

I have a 3+ mile loop that i do from Yumi's place along the embarcadero

Sorry to hear about your dad Ev. I'm gonna try to go cold turkey on New Years bro, wish me luck.[/QUOTE]

Oh I bet you are going to be a peach to hang out with:p

Hey guys, i've finally gone soft... but in a good way:teeth

I bought Pelikans Giant NRS Air for a good deal. It has some really good components on it namely the Fox Talas RLC fork, Fox Float RP3 shock, and the Magura Marta hydraulic front brake setup. Sweet!.

It is obvious though that this bike was a project buildup and not a very good one at that. The fork, stem, and headset assembleage are completely wrong and there is about 2 mm or more of unadjustable play in the headset. Right now the bike is unrideable. The stem itself is some kind of monsterous hunk of metal that looks like it would be better suited on a downhill bike rather than an XC like this. The rear brake is a nice, though roughed up (doesn't bother me) hayes hydraulic assembly. The cranks are FSA Afterburner in rough but good working order. The front Derailwhetever is Shimano Deore (I'm assuming XT though it dosn't say) and the rear Deore XT. It's kind of weird cause the headset is so screwed up but the obviously used drivetrain seems to be in very good adjustment and working order from my one little test ride. The shifters are Shimano Deore LX. It's also running a set of Mavic X223 disk wheels laced to wtb laserdisk hubs.

The cables, specificly the hydraulic lines are routed kinda badly and too long as well. The brake setup probably came off a bike with a much taller handlebar setup but thats ok cause i want to bring the bars up higher anyway. They are very low. And the handlebars themselves seem very narrow.

Well I guess my main thing right now is getting the headset sorted. I'm not comfortable with that gnarly stem either. It doesn't have a name other than the letter K inside some funky little sprocket shaped graphic. If anyone has any normal stems they don't need then I'm sure it's just a matter of getting it shimmed properly so the adjustment can be dialed in. Then I'm ready to role. The bike seems to be pretty much sorted other than that and fitting the bike and adjusting the suspension. I figure by the time I get that all sorted I will have healed enough to hit the trails again:thumbup

Any thoughts peoples of superior MTB knowledge:ride

Hey Yody, buy my frame.

Dump the softtail and buy my Intense Tracer. It will go well with the Fox Fork.
$450 and I will do the buid-up. I have all the needed spares/parts to make the swap go easy.

I have gained like 18 lbs this year so no better time than now to MTB.. I live near some of the greatest runs... Auburn-Forresthill etc etc...

seesm, come down and ride with us, or if conditions are nice out there, we'll come to you.

Jer, we should head over to Gregory's next week. I can pick you up at BART and we can head out there together. I'm gonna swap the derailers to SRAM and go full twist shifters.

I also have 4 stems for you to choose from and a number of bars for your bike. I probably also have a headset that will bit, as well as spacers from the kit I bought. We can get your bike dialed in for low $$$.

Hey Wickerman777,

I've got boxes of parts, and at least a dozen different stems in there. You are more than welcome to root through and find something that fits ya.

I've been a bicycle builder/mechanic for over a decade, so I can definitely get you set up with something right. Oh, and by builder, I mean from raw materials to finished frame and bike.

PM me and we can set up a meet.:thumbup

Taking Tracy out on her first ride. We're going to Del Valle in Livermore so we can take the dogs with us. Will post pics later :)

Back