• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Mountain Bike?

While the weather caused things to slow up over the past week, we've been doing our fair share of riding. It started a couple of weeks ago at Tamarancho in Fairfax - Myself, Ryan (Pakow), Joe (Harpo), Dan (Turbodan13), and Merrick (Muggzy) all met up with Fairfax resident and AFM racer Spencer Stuart, who showed us a nice bonus loop. We bumped into Sonny (Fawndog) and Roxy (zx6roxy) on the trail as well - from the sounds of things, they liked the trail as much as we do :)

It turned out to be a great ride, on great trails, with a great bunch of riders! I never cared much for high speed fireroad descents, but the one we added onto our normal loop was actually a lot of fun.

Below is an map of our route and a heart rate / elevation graph:

fairfax-map.jpg

fairfax-el-hr.jpg

Next was a loop of China Camp with Lisa and Everett (Ducky Fresh). We took Ev to the top, which included a steep, 1/3 mile paved climb.

Pictures, clockwise starting from top left:
1. Lisa stretching at the summit
2. Lisa looks at a rutted descent
3. Everett practicing his wheelies
4. Another, steeper, not-so-legal descent I dropped in on

Attachments

• IMG_1502 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_1502 (Medium).JPG
    85 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_1504 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_1504 (Medium).JPG
    125.7 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_1505 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_1505 (Medium).JPG
    88.4 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_1512 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_1512 (Medium).JPG
    83.3 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
While the skies were clear on Christmas Day, the air was cold and the ground was muddy, cutting our attempt to ride the Auburn Ravine a little short. We're both getting over colds as a result right now. When it's dry, I rank it right up there with Annadel as far as epic rides with fun descents go.

Pictures, clockwise from top left:

1. The Foresthill Bridge, one of the highest bridges in the US. We would be climbing up to it and going over it in short order.
2. Lisa pushes her Blur up Mossy Rock trail. I've never cleaned it.
3. Lisa emerges from the culvert on Culvert Trail
4. The view of the ravine from Stagecoach Trail

Attachments

• IMG_1539 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_1539 (Medium).JPG
    126.1 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_1536 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_1536 (Medium).JPG
    61 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_1535 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_1535 (Medium).JPG
    124.8 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_1531 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_1531 (Medium).JPG
    90.7 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Good job Ev, just take it easy when you're starting out, it's real easy to hurt yourself when you're just getting started. :thumbup

No kidding. I tried to bump my mileage up this weekend to prepare for Napa. Trying to do 11 miles while recovering from a cold didn't go so well. My ankle still isn't right...

I am coming up to the bay area and looking for a MTB ride January 13th and also the 19th, let's get together for a ride, run, or swim.

I'll see if I can put together a UCSC or Annadel ride one of those days!

I'm trying to put in to perspective how far a 16 mile Mtn bike ride is..? Also, is it gnarly stuff or what? How congested does single track get with that many people doing 2 laps?

16 miles is around two "lower loops" of China Camp. Too many variables to say how long it would take - all depends on how much climbing there is, and how "flowy" the descents are.

I have gained like 18 lbs this year so no better time than now to MTB.. I live near some of the greatest runs... Auburn-Forresthill etc etc...

Auburn rocks :)

I'm signing up for the tri

And mark my words,
I'm going under 2 hours.

Heres the splits:

.5mi swim 15min.
16mi bike 1' 15"
3.5mi run 27min.
3min transition time.

Im signing up for the tri.

And mark my words,
I'm going under hr min

(numbers to be filled in when I can get my fat ass off the couch and do some training):laughing

And mark my words,
I'm going under 2 hours.

Heres the splits:

.5mi swim 15min.
16mi bike 1' 15"
3.5mi run 27min.
3min transition time.

And mark my words,
I'm going under 2hr 20min :p

And mark my words,
I'm going under hr min

(numbers to be filled in when I can get my fat ass off the couch and do some training):laughing

:laughing :laughing :laughing

I'm starting my training tomorrow to keep myself from smoking. :p

Sonny, Roxy and I decided to do a loop or two of Westridge/Eastridge, in nice, sunny, but somewhat cold and windy conditions.

We had a bit of a mishap on a rocky descent about halfway through westridge, with Roxy tucking the front end and Roxy getting knocked around pretty good, and me running her over and doing a faceplant.

Some pics of after the incident:

1. Looking up at the trail
2. Roxy's front tire skid
3. Shoulder pain

Attachments

• BARF.RRP.123107.06.Trail.jpg
    BARF.RRP.123107.06.Trail.jpg
    225.9 KB · Views: 51
  • BARF.RRP.123107.04.Tire.Skid.jpg
    BARF.RRP.123107.04.Tire.Skid.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 56
  • BARF.RRP.123107.01.R.Shoulder.Hurts.jpg
    BARF.RRP.123107.01.R.Shoulder.Hurts.jpg
    248.9 KB · Views: 54
So we took a breather and decided to return the way we came just to be cautious since Rox took a nice hit to the noggin'

BTW, Pakow blazed by us while we were checking Roxy out, just to run into him again 3/4 of a mile or so before we got to the parking lot. That's guy's a freaking animal :wow

Some more pics:

1. Sonny & Roxy on the downhill portion just before we biffed it, pic gives a bit of perspective too. The slope of the hills never seems to come out on the pics.
2. Roxy's ok
3. Sonny's relieved (or snickering, take your pick :p)

Attachments

• BARF.RRP.123107.05.S&R.jpg
    BARF.RRP.123107.05.S&R.jpg
    240.7 KB · Views: 61
  • BARF.RRP.123107.03.Roxy's.ok.jpg
    BARF.RRP.123107.03.Roxy's.ok.jpg
    230 KB · Views: 53
  • BARF.RRP.123107.02.Sonny.jpg
    BARF.RRP.123107.02.Sonny.jpg
    241 KB · Views: 59
Sonny, Roxy and I decided to do a loop or two of Westridge/Eastridge, in nice, sunny, but somewhat cold and windy conditions.

We had a bit of a mishap on a rocky descent about halfway through westridge, with Roxy tucking the front end and Roxy getting knocked around pretty good, and me running her over and doing a faceplant.

Some pics of after the incident:

2. Roxy's front tire skid

My training for Xterra officially starts tomorrow....we'll see how my shoulder feels in the morning. If its OK, I'll be riding. John, how about giving W/E another try?

I was flying pretty good on that DH....I got a bit too close behind Sonny towards the bottom and couldn't see my line....I jammed on the brakes and my front wheel caught that deep rut....then off I went, over the handlebars. Seconds later, I became John's obstacle.....then off he went. I'm glad you're OK John.

So, if that's my tire skid...where is that rut?

Last edited:
Tomorrow is my anniversary

And if I want to have a fourth one, I better pass on the ride.
Maybe next week can run or swim. Rain is coming:(

You call it Greg! Roxy is under observation (by me) tonight, but if she feels good tomorrow I'm sure we'll ride.

New Years Day, 10:30 AM, China Camp :teeth:cool:ride

Back