• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Mountain Bike?

back when I was out of shape I raced my dad back to the car, plopped down, and took my pulse, clocked in at 240 beats per minute. :twofinger
Hmmmm, ... 240? Are you sure about that one. I didn't think you could get that high and not die of a heart-attack. :wtf

I got 211 bpm sprinting up the top of Diablo on the road-bike and when I looked down at the monitor and saw "211" I thought for sure the very next thing I was gonna see was a tunnel and bright light at the end. :laughing :laughing :wow

sniped this on Ebay:D
Roxy, is that a Talas? How much did you get it for? Very Niiiiicccee ! !

You do remember me saying when you first got your bike, ... "Hey Roxy, really nice bike but if you get into this sport you are gonna want to swap out that front fork?" Very nice upgrade. You can't imagine how much nicer she's gonna ride.

PS. I'm glad it's raining, all of you bastards. I have been hacking up my lungs and secreting florescent, radioactive slime from all orifices of my body. Waaaaaaaaaaa Waaaaaaaaa :cry :cry I wanna play tooooo. :(

Last edited:
I have that same front fork, its a coil spring fork. I just took it off and put it back on my g/f's Jameson. I really liked it!

Hey thats the same fork I have on my Moun....

Running to check if front fork is still there.

:twofinger

Hmmmm, ... 240? Are you sure about that one. I didn't think you could get that high and not die of a heart-attack. :wtf

Roxy, is that a Talas? How much did you get it for? Very Niiiiicccee ! !

You do remember me saying when you first got your bike, ... "Hey Roxy, really nice bike but if you get into this sport you are gonna want to swap out that front fork?" Very nice upgrade. You can't imagine how much nicer she's gonna ride.

Uh, 240?!?!? I call :bs

It's not a talas, but the Vanilla RLC. Yes, I do recall that convo we had in Greg's garage. :laughing I can't wait:banana

I have that same front fork, its a coil spring fork. I just took it off and put it back on my g/f's Jameson. I really liked it!

What did you replace it with?

a 05 Manitou Nixon elite 145MM coil spring fork. I wasn't too thrilled to do the swap, but the extra travel will be nice and my g/f's bike had a POS front fork on it that didn't really work and was all wrong for the frame. Actually though I had the Vanilla R, you have a RLC not sure what the difference is, probably better.

"It's not a talas, but the Vanilla RLC. Yes, I do recall that convo we had in Greg's garage. I can't wait"

Ha mines a Talas:twofinger

When is that fork gonna visit the garage?

Bring it over. All my stuff is dialed in and my workouts are done. I need something to do before my wife finds something for me.

I have a spare XT derailleur.

your'e welcome to use it for however long you need it. Or keep it and get a used replacement on ebay. It's in good shape.

Thanks, we got it working. I still need to trail test it though. Funny thing, we checked out a "new" replacement, it was mounted to a new derailleur hanger. But the thing was crooked, "new" piece straight out the box crooked. I wonder if SRAM quality is that bad, I know Joe hates the stuff.

Maybe Jeremy can get his suspension setup Monday, let us know if you're free Greg.

Last edited:
Thanks, we got it working. I still need to trail test it though. Funny thing, we checked out a "new" replacement, it was mounted to a new derailleur hanger. But the thing was crooked, "new" piece straight out the box crooked. I wonder if SRAM quality is that bad, I know Joe hates the stuff.

Maybe Jeremy can get his suspension setup Monday, let us know if you're free Greg.

No, I don't hate the stuff and the quality is supposed to be at least as good as as the equivalent Shimano counterpart. I actually think that the derailleurs work spectacularly. I just really don't like the action of the shifters.

Quite strange to get a brand new derailleur that's bent, ... Hmmmmm :wtf

Bring it over. All my stuff is dialed in and my workouts are done. I need something to do before my wife finds something for me.

I still need to have my wheels re-built, maybe I can drop those by today?

Also, do you think I should invest in new spokes and nipples?

New nipples might be a good idea, but man that's gonna hurt. ;) :p

Me + Jer riding around 2 not sure about Roxy yet.

Ooops, my mistake Joe. The thing is... we mounted the old one (X9 with parts robbed off the new piece) and it was fine.

Greg, my LBS was less than helpful with a request, can your shop order directly from Cane Creek?

Ryan I noticed Greg had red nipples, are you gonna get the blue ones? :rofl

New nipples might be a good idea, but man that's gonna hurt. ;) :p

Rounded nipples are a good thing on titties, not so much on the bike... :twofinger

Ryan I noticed Greg had red nipples, are you gonna get the blue ones? :rofl

All this nipple talk... yee-haw!

I think Im just gonna keep it looking stock. Maybe stainless spokes instead of the black ones, but thats about it. I don't think they're special enough for the fancy nipples. :teeth

Last edited:
Back