• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Mountain Bike?

So MrCrash asked me to post the confirmation details regarding our ride in Soquel Demostration forest this weekend, Sunday, (9/19/2004).

Meet time:
9:00am *Need a meeting spot in the southbay - suggestions?
9:30am *Meet in the SDF Dirt Parking lot.

I think the trail is going to BRAILE. All are welcome!!!!!

Call MrCrash or Wicked for more details or if you get lost.
MrCrash- 415 290 6861
WW - 415 652 3930

Directions:
-17 out of san jose
-Summit road exit, cross over the freeway
-A few miles down, right on Highland Road
-Take the left fork
-Then a few miles down, parking lot on right

*You'll see people parking on the street.

See you there!

1247944-sdf.jpg

Last edited:
Does anyone know a good site for trail maps? I'm looking for a decent map for Skaggs if anyone can hook me up.

MORNING RAIN - POSTPONE or RE-SCHEDULE FOR ANOTHER DAY

As of now, looks as if the rain is subtle and spread througout the the bay.

Mike is holding off for another day and I'm holding off for later in the day.

Just wanted to give everyone heads up.

MassiveAttack said:
So MrCrash asked me to post the confirmation details regarding our ride in Soquel Demostration forest this weekend, Sunday, (9/19/2004).

Meet time:
9:00am *Need a meeting spot in the southbay - suggestions?
9:30am *Meet in the SDF Dirt Parking lot.

I think the trail is going to BRAILE. All are welcome!!!!!

Call MrCrash or Wicked for more details or if you get lost.
MrCrash- 415 290 6861
WW - 415 652 3930

Directions:
-17 out of san jose
-Summit road exit, cross over the freeway
-A few miles down, right on Highland Road
-Take the left fork
-Then a few miles down, parking lot on right

*You'll see people parking on the street.

See you there!

1247944-sdf.jpg

I'm just too busy to spen the time to to clean the drivetrain after riding in the mud.d

Or too important. Yeah, that's it.

It's going to clear quickley. How about noon?

'nother day...
too wet!

I can't believe you guys didnt ride because of rain:laughing
I love the rain for riding. Once it's nice and muddy I'll break out the Elsworth. China Camp in December!

DMcTriumph said:
I can't believe you guys didnt ride because of rain:laughing
I love the rain for riding. Once it's nice and muddy I'll break out the Elsworth. China Camp in December!
It fucks the trails up. People work pretty hard to build the trails up in SDF.

The clay in the East Bay Hills makes it unrideable in many areas. Last time I tried to ride Tilden / Chabot in the damp, my chain kept getting sucked into my front gearset. Miller wasn't too bad, until I hit the log / rock water bars. Zero traction.

China Camp and Skeggs weren't too bad though. China Camp seems to drain fairly quickly, with the tree cover keeping the trails fairly dry. The sandstone at Skeggs makes it fairly rideable as well.

With rain spoiling the morning plans for SDF, China Camp in the afternoon seems like the way to go...

glad I decided to go with a buddy that had to start earlier if he were to make it :). We made it out to SDF only to find it raining cats, dogs, frogs, banana slugs and the occasional lost san franciscan (incoming! splat)

Since we both had the same thing as Mike- riding on muddy trails only jacks them up- we moved farther north and inland to Santa Teresa park which is really rocky and usually a bit drier. We lucked out and only got rained on for a short while while climing the first hill to the radio tower. It was all nice terra firma from there and the single track provided the best traction I've ever experienced there.

We only had one oops where my buddy picked a bad line over a rock and bounced off the trail onto some still dusty soft pack so it was great! We kept it to a short ride but if you enjoy technical trails you can really have a lot of fun out there (until it gets muddy but its not really raining hard enough there yet). I definitely recommend checking out the park if you've never been there and want a challenge :teeth. I'll have to take some good pics sometime

From what I've seen from Santa Teresa, it has some challanging climbs, but it lacks the single track and technical areas that Demo and Skeggs are famous for. I havent been on all the trails, pretty much the ones going up to the radio tower, on the uphill side of the road.
Where is the technical single track your talking about?

Think he's referring to the Rocky Ridge Trail.

Go up Coyote to the radio tower, then right down the fire trail then Right on Rocky Ridge.....

If the weather doen't shape up by 2 or 3 - I'm heading to Santa Theresa for a quick ride.

Anyone think Saratoga Gap will be fucked due to the rain?

:) haha I never said it was comparable to SDF. Yeah I was referring to Rocky Ridge and also Styles Ranch. It's a good park for those local to San Jose as it's close to most of us but I guess I should add that it's not something to go gaga over. It's just different which is why I like it. It's a good alternative to driving up into the santa cruz mountains and it used to be one of the closest parks to me.

Oh well. I'm game for china camp next week if the weather holds up

Northstar next weekend

I think we only have a few weeks left before mountain bike season is done at Northstar. The original plan involved a trip there today, but the weather took care of that. I'm thinking next Sunday will be one of our last chances to go.

Chairlifts up, singletrack down, with lots of fun stunts in the middle - who's down for Northstar next weekend?
MassiveAttack said:
Anyone think Saratoga Gap will be fucked due to the rain?
Isn't a good portion of Saratoga Gap closed for the winter due to rain?
Hyperlite said:
Oh well. I'm game for china camp next week if the weather holds up
Have you been there before? If you can hold off another week or two, I'd be more than happy to head a ride over that way. The backside beckons!

Tamarancho was pretty cool too, but as it's out in Fairfax it's a little harder to get to. Other trails I'd love to do before the weather gets too soggy include Annadel, Auburn, Rockville, and Skeggs.

Hopefully the weather holds out a little longer!

I'm game for Sunday.
I think we only have a few weeks left before mountain bike season is done at Northstar. The original plan involved a trip there today, but the weather took care of that. I'm thinking next Sunday will be one of our last chances to go.

This is worste than trackday and racing season.:cry My plans where all screwed up today. Luckily Santa Theresa was dry enough to ride.

It'll soon be time learn how to ride in the rain....:green

Back