• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Mountain Bike?

All this talk of rain is depressing me.
For the nebies out there, what trails are good for winter/rain riding and which ones shoud be avoided?

squidhunter said:
All this talk of rain is depressing me.
For the nebies out there, what trails are good for winter/rain riding and which ones shoud be avoided?

Quicksilver and Wilder yo!

Quicksilver park is probably your best bet. The trail is packed down with enough clay to where most of it never gets muddy so it can be ridden in any weather conditions. I've gone through there when most areas were flooding and it always provides excellent traction. The tires feel like little suction cups :teeth
I would avoid Santa Teresa park once the rains really start coming down as the whole place turns into a mud pit.
Wilder Ranch can be ridden as soon as a day after rains as the trails are really sandy and the water drains pretty quickly, minus for a few puddles that are perfect for jumping :).
SDF and Skeggs would probably need at least a few days to dry out after any rains.

There might be other trails out there that hold up well in wet weather but I haven't run across em yet. I really need to start exploring different parks, I've pretty much stuck to only the local stuff as I used to always ride to and from the trails.

At this point it looks like I'll be joining you guys up at northstar this sunday, depending on the weather, as it is officially the second to last weekend they're open to bikes. The rains that we've just received should be good to keep down a lot of the dust out there too :thumbup

Roll call for Northstar this Sunday

We have so far:

Myself
WickedWeenie
Hyperlite
MassiveAttack

Harpo wanted to go, but is instead going to get in touch with his inner child in the fields of Yosemite. I'm thinking we should head to the Sierra foothills just east of Sacto the night before, then finish the trip early the following morning. Those who want to go up the night before can just meet us wherever we stay, and caravan up.

Only a couple of weeks left until Northstar shuts down its mountain bike program for the year - who's up for it?

Re: Roll call for Northstar this Sunday

MrCrash907 said:
We have so far:

Myself
WickedWeenie
Hyperlite
MassiveAttack

Harpo wanted to go, but is instead going to get in touch with his inner child in the fields of Yosemite. I'm thinking we should head to the Sierra foothills just east of Sacto the night before, then finish the trip early the following morning. Those who want to go up the night before can just meet us wherever we stay, and caravan up.

Only a couple of weeks left until Northstar shuts down its mountain bike program for the year - who's up for it?

Do you guys climb Northstar or take the lift and go downhill?

I dunno why but when I first read that I couldn't help but laugh. Then I started remniscing about the days I used to go out to Sierra Azul Open Space preserve or Hicks Rd (both have LONG and STEEP climbs) just for fun. Ahh I miss those days :loco.

Everyone really only goes to Northstar for the downhilling. You take the lifts up and ride down. Rinse and repeat as many times as you can before they shut down the lifts or until you get assisted off the hill. I suppose you could ride up and down (good way to save $30) but the trails have a nice layer of soft powder that will only add on to the fun of the climb. You should make an effort to give it a shot if you've never done it. Especially with it being in your backyard ;)

funny story from my last trip out: a family decided to go out there and give it a shot. We saw them getting set up around lunch time (really late but didn't think anything of it yet) and figured :cool, they don't look like mtn bikers but cool none-the-less that the whole family was into it (2 young daughters, couldn't have been older than 12, mother and beer belly hauling dad).

So they go out carrying their rental helmets :green and meet up with the guys managing the rental bikes. First thing they do is ask them hwo to put the helmets on! :wow. Then we frightenly watched as the guys instructed them on how to shift gears, tell them how the brakes work and so on. Haha, we couldn't help but laugh when they asked if the trails were dangerous.

Needless to say- we took wagers on how long it'd take before they were able to finish walking their bikes back to the lifts or down the hill :teeth. To our amazement, while we were on the lifts going back up a couple of hours later, we saw them riding down one of the super duper easy fire roads, not steep at all, hard pack with small rocks here and there. I think they were all sliding down the trail with their brakes locked :wow.

Never found out if they made it down as we overheard that they were still out on the trails while we were checking in (and we were so late we thought we were gonna get stuck with the bikes for a second day, whew!).

Trying to decide which bike to bring to Northstar? The brother's Cannondale Jekyll or my S_Works.

I've never been there... but checking the sites MCrash posted - I'm assuming that there will be alot of technical terrain as well as jumps.

look at this guy... "help, I cant figure what bike to bring" :twofinger homo, u have a truck, take em both, or pick one!

2004 Specialized Epic COMP DISC - FRAME FOR SALE!!!

Just purchased a brand new 2004 Specialized Epic Comp, (color=white).
I upgraded to a S-Works and moved some parts over to the new frame. The Epic Comp frame is now ready for assembly.
The bike is 2 months new and has been ridden a handful of times.

SIZE IS A LARGE. Frame is in great shape. I am selling the 2004 frame with 2004 BRAIN SHOCK!!!! Components that come with the frame:

- SEATPOST 2014 butted alloy, black, 30.9 x 350/400mm
- PEDALS Shimano 515 SPD
- CRANKSET Custom Shimano Hollowtech, Octalink XT Spline
- CASSETTE Shimano HG-50 LX, 9-speed, 11x34t
- SHIFT LEVERS Shimano M-570 LX
- BRAKE LEVERS Shimano M-555 hydraulic disc
THe XC Handle Bar
- AND... THE REAR SHOCK!! Specialized Brain shock, manufactured by Fox Racing Shox, air spring and rebound adjust, 11.7¡¨ X 1.875¡¨ (More travel and better response than 2003)!
- BOTTOM BRACKET Shimano ES-30 Octalink spline, 68mm shell, 121mm spindle. 50mm chainline.

The Bike lives up to the hype. Brain Shock works when you need it! Great all around bike!!!!!

The Epic COMP is by far one of the best rides I've ever own. Read the reviews here:

http://mtbr.com/reviews/2004_full_suspension/product_123223.shtml
The bike is also disc and V=Brake Compatible.

Also this bike is LIGHTER THAN THE 2003.. Jump on this chance to ride one of the best!!!!

You can look at it anytime in the evenings.

VLm68KEBqbVKHrfJVgiDbIVjxgT1.jpg
ClW46QDtQv0bnVuinahESxmBcvvT.jpg
3POEI0hkbAlDM7yECe6E4GdfOWK8.jpg

*Remember... there are no forks. all you need is brakes, (v or disc), some cabling, a seat, and some wheels!

That's it! You'd be suprised how easy it is to get all this stuff for under 3 hundred.

PM If interested.

Last edited:
Hyperlite said:
:) haha I never said it was comparable to SDF. Yeah I was referring to Rocky Ridge and also Styles Ranch. It's a good park for those local to San Jose as it's close to most of us but I guess I should add that it's not something to go gaga over. It's just different which is why I like it. It's a good alternative to driving up into the santa cruz mountains and it used to be one of the closest parks to me.

Oh well. I'm game for china camp next week if the weather holds up

i second this, started riding again and for the past month and half have been riding there 2-3 times a week. Up stiles, to rocky ridge down, and then back down stiles if we feel up for it.

lotsa technical stuff, and lots of hill climbs. Theres this area off of rocky ridge that has a bunch of drop offs and jumps built.

who wants to take me for a tour of Santa Thersa?

when are you game? PM me since I only check this thread infrequantly. Maybe sometime during the week after work? There's still enough light out (I think) to do the general loop if you're out there about 6

four hundred posts on this thread...

post whore i yam

Hyperlite said:
when are you game? PM me since I only check this thread infrequantly. Maybe sometime during the week after work? There's still enough light out (I think) to do the general loop if you're out there about 6

Hyperlite.. Sorry for waking up late dood:cry

I missed out big time at Northstar....

Isent you a PM
I'm up for a weekday ride at Santa Theresa... What day??

MassiveAttack said:

Isent you a PM

me 2.

MassiveAttack said:

Isent you a PM

you and me both :laughing

I think I'm planning on heading out to ST Park wednesday about 6pm. It might be getting dark by the time we're done but that'll be aight. Be prepared for some rocky trails ;)

I'll be parking at the trailhead on San Vicente Ave off of McKean Rd and Fortini Rd. You'll find a dirt lot with a couple picnic benches right about where the red star is on the map, can't miss it. PM me if you want my phone #

I did the PM thang.
c ya at 6, tho I wood prefer earlier...

ill try to come out too. i have an appt at 5 but if its done easly enough ill show.
i havent ridden the trail in daylight in a long time, i usually go at 5:30 am done by 7.

JnglstTICAL said:
That place should be no problem after Coyote Hills, no?

Sorry about dragging you up and over the three hills - I should have suggested you go take the easier grade up "Mount Motherfucker".

How ya feelin?

:)

Back