• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Mountain Bike?

Frodog said:
Let me know if you guys decide to go to Rockville on Sunday. I can give you guys a tour. Just have a lot of patient waiting for at all times, especially when it's time to climb.

What time Mike...? FroDog... how many miles is Rockville?

I've been up and ready to go since 6AM, with a new Weirwolf 2.3 front and a Mutano Raptor DH 2.24 rear, which has stiffer sidewalls and gnarlier tread blocks than the 2.4s I was using. Bike just had a tuneup, and I'm all set. Left a phone msg with MA and sent a PM to FroDog - let's do this!

Rockville looks pretty gnarly, I've got extra knee and elbow pads for anyone who wants em.

Last edited:
MrCrash907 said:
I've been up and ready to go since 6AM, with a new Weirwolf 2.3 front and a Mutano Raptor DH 2.24 rear, which has stiffer sidewalls and gnarlier tread blocks than the 2.4s I was using. Bike just had a tuneup, and I'm all set. Left a phone msg with MA and sent a PM to FroDog - let's do this!

Rockville looks pretty gnarly, I've got extra knee and elbow pads for anyone who wants em.

Mike,

I have been talking to Jeff and he left me a message this morning that you guys aren't going to make it today. He said that you guys are just going local. Maybe next time, jut let me know. Have good ride.

I went up to Annadel. That was tough, but fun! About a 12 mile loop. Those long, rolling, rocky descents over rocky but rideable singletrack beat me up, while still letting me carry a lot of speed over them.

I feel like I just got out of a mosh pit :)

The Weirwolf 2.3 front with the Mutano Raptor 2.24 rear worked really well also :) I had more confidence in that front than on any tire I've run previously. Then again, I've only been on a couple types of tires - Panaracer Fire XCs for a few years on my GT, with Mutano Raptor 2.4s on my Jekyll for the past few months.

So you headed up to Annadel... Dam thats HC.

I ended up local GAP - Longridge to Russian Hill... Nothing really exciting... should of went up north or soquel...

Hopefully next week will free up for me to make trek up to you guys.

Oh yeah.. some pics of the new ride...
rt.jpg
ft.jpg
lt.jpg

Last edited:
zookrider98 said:
Here be mine.....

1180209-laguna_04.jpg

Used to have a Zaskar Team a few years back... seeing your bike makes me cry. :cry

Since moving away from Butte County and back to the good ole city, I've gained a few (30 or so) pounds and haven't biked in quite awhile.

Are there any "C- pace :nerd " groups out there? I've got a homebuilt special in the garage that's decently spec'd out.

Hey Keoki,

We've got a whole range of riding abilities going on almost every ride. If the location is more challenging, we'll post adequate warning.

Not sure when the next ride will be, but I definitely want to do Annadel again. With all the climbing over rocks, it helps to have some really strong legs. The rocks should also make it pretty rideable after recent rains.

img_0877.jpg

MassiveAttack said:
So you headed up to Annadel... Dam thats HC.

I ended up local GAP - Longridge to Russian Hill... Nothing really exciting... should of went up north or soquel...

Hopefully next week will free up for me to make trek up to you guys.

Oh yeah.. some pics of the new ride...
rt.jpg
ft.jpg
lt.jpg

CONGRATULATIONS!!! Very nice!

squidhunter said:
So how do you like those floppy shifters MA? Any issues with accidental shifting?

They're great - took some time to get use to... but like anything new... everything takes some time.

No mis shifting at all -- on point when make shift through the gears.

Update on Nisene Marks

Looks like Fox Racing has jumped into the fray.

For all those riders out there, Fox is selling T-shirts to help raise money (and awareness) to 'Save The Trail'. In addition, they also have a letter that all you have to do is print, sign, and mail.

Let's keep Nisene Marks open to all......

http://www.foxracingshox.com/ftt/

Annadel State Park on Sunday

I did my first ride at Annadel last weekend - very cool. A little less than an hour north of me in Berkeley. The rocky singletrack was a lot of fun to carry speed over and through, and should hold up well to the recent rains.

Anyone else interested? It wasn't so much the grade / steepness of the climbs that made me work, as much as it was the technical nature of them.

I'm thinking early Sunday, about a 15 mile ride.

http://www.mtbwest.com/annadel-03.html

Re: Annadel State Park on Sunday

MrCrash907 said:
I did my first ride at Annadel last weekend - very cool. A little less than an hour north of me in Berkeley. The rocky singletrack was a lot of fun to carry speed over and through, and should hold up well to the recent rains.

Anyone else interested? It wasn't so much the grade / steepness of the climbs that made me work, as much as it was the technical nature of them.

I'm thinking early Sunday, about a 15 mile ride.

http://www.mtbwest.com/annadel-03.html

Hey Mike- I might be able to make this. I'll let you know if I decide to trek up early to the Santa Rosa office. If I do - I'll probably be there by mid - day.

// btw I'm taking off to China Camp right now, if you're free to show me the backside trails - call me up!

Jeff: You need to pick up your phone. I was planning on heading there in a few minutes also.

Mtnbiker1: Thanks for the link. I've been following the thread on mtbr.com, seems pretty ridiculous!

My contribution to the "this is my bike" portion of this thread :)

1406940-sobej.jpg

Turns out Jeff couldn't make China Camp today. I'm headed that way in a couple of hours. If anyone is interested in a 15 or so mile ride, PM or call me!

- Mike

Last edited:
Annadel rules!

I'm surprised I can still walk today. Wow.

A week ago, I explored the northern side of Annadel State Park. Nice, but a bit busy on the main trails with all the hikers and horses. So Saturday night, I read up on some trail reviews, and caught the following bit of advice:

"You folks riding Annadel who have not been to the Schultz/Ridge/Lawndale trails are really missing out..."

So Harpo and I made the trek north to check it out. That was one of *the* best days of mountain biking I've ever had. Heart rate came just shy of 200 bpm quite a few times trying to keep that little ball of energy in sight. We probably did close to 20 miles, as I emptied my entire Camelbak over the course of the ride.

We bombed down one rocky two-mile stretch, almost losing it a few times in mud-ridden hairpins, grinning ear to ear afterwards.

"I was going to go on a street ride today" I said. "But no street ride compares to this as far as the fun factor goes."

"Street ride? Hell, I can't remember the last time I had this much fun at Thunderhill!" Joe relied.

About 2/3 of the way through the ride, I couldn't even try to keep Joe in sight anymore, as his endless energy and endurance allowed him to attack hills with the same aggression he's known for on his GSXR. On public roads. With passengers :)

It all came together on the final 3 mile descent, hollering at the tops of our lungs as bombed our way down, weaving through the trees at high speeds like speeders through the Ewok forest in Return of the Jedi.

"Dude - is it just me or does it seem like we've done more downhill than uphill during that ride? It doesn't compute."

When things come out in my favor, I try not to ask questions. In this case, the only question is "When can we do it again?"

Despite the emptied Camelbak (I'm going to the 100oz model before the next ride), two cramped legs, and enough mud to cover a small automobile, I can't wait to go back. On the other hand, my legs are begging me to wait...

nice review...

written with enough enthusiam to make me willing to drive the two hours up ther to join you guys...

I'm hip. Next weekend?

I need at least another weekend to recover :) That, and I'm at Thunderhill next weekend with Zoom Zoom. I'm game anytime after that though.

Annadel just moved up to 2nd place on my list of favorites, behind Northstar but ahead of Soquel / Auburn.

Re: Annadel rules!

MrCrash907 said:
I'm surprised I can still walk today. Wow.

"Dude - is it just me or does it seem like we've done more downhill than uphill during that ride? It doesn't compute."

Best thing that can happen to you -Soreness due to not climbing-

Awesome report Mike... I need to check this place out....!

Back