• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Mountain Bike?

MassiveAttack said:
Best thing that can happen to you -Soreness due to not climbing-
Oh, there's plenty of it. This place will test you.

I think what actually happened was that our climb in was so long, we forgot about it by the time we bombed out of there - three hours later. About 3/4 of the way through the ride, if I wasn't spinning my legs, I was cramping up.

That 3 mile stretch down is only matched by Flameout at Northstar (a single black diamond run) as far as long, fast, flowing singletrack goes.
Butch said:
better'n SDF?!?
All depends on what you like.

It doesn't have the jumps, stunts, and obstacles that Braille has, but the singletrack is at least as good, and definitely longer. There are some rocky, rutted sections (nothing nearly as technical as Sawpit), but you can still carry a lot of speed through them. I'd give it the nod over SDF for XC riding, but SDF still gets the nod for DH / FR.

Just seems like there's a lot more singletrack up at Annadel. Climbing singletrack, descending singletrack, rocky singletrack, smooth singletrack - it's all there!

The line of the day, when I just about ran of gas, and Harpo gave me the following instructions to take his "Clif Energy Gel". Yell this loudly with a New York accent to get the full effect:

"Just squirt it in there and suck it down, like a mouthful of cum!" he said. "Not that I actually know what that's like..."

Um, I wouldn't know either Joe...

Last edited:
just got me a new hardtail :banana were is the best local singletrack? i had full susp. but, im more of a xc/singletrack guy. no 12 foot drop offs for me.

jroymcd said:
just got me a new hardtail :banana were is the best local singletrack? i had full susp. but, im more of a xc/singletrack guy. no 12 foot drop offs for me.
Define local :)

Joaquin Miller is probably the closest to you. While it's fun, it's also short - I look for longer stretches of singletrack.

When I lived in Union City, I found myself going to Skeggs / El Corte de Madera a lot. I tried Purisma and Saratoga Gap, neither of them really grabbed me. Once I tried Soquel Demo, I was hooked.

Living in Berkeley, I hit China Camp in Marin more often than anything else, preferring the miles of fast, flowing singletrack to the short, rutted downhill chutes at Miller.

My Top 5:

1. Northstar
2. Annadel
3. Soquel Demo (more of a tie for 2nd actually)
4. Clementine / Stagecoach @ the Auburn Ravine
5. China Camp (front and backside)

ive rode Soquel Demo on my dual susp. many times, how would it be on a hardtail?

where is Joaquin Miller ? how many miles?

its been about a year with no riding. i went with the light hardtail to help me get up those hills.

Mountain bike trailer for sale

Just wanted to let this thread know I have put up a MTB trailer for sale here in grab bag. Just think, you can now bring your 12-packs with you! Of course, they will be pretty foamy after bombing Dead Campers but who cares!

Thanks for looking!

jroymcd said:
ive rode Soquel Demo on my dual susp. many times, how would it be on a hardtail?

where is Joaquin Miller ? how many miles?

its been about a year with no riding. i went with the light hardtail to help me get up those hills.

Hardtails work just fine out there. I have been riding it for a couple of years now on mine and don't see any reason why you would need FS unless you were trying to freeride and hit all the jumps.

Post up a ride and I'm sure you'll have the pleasure of meeting some of barf's craziest (ping harpo and mrcrash :))

Joaquin Miller is in the Oakland Hills, near Piedmont.

http://www.mtbwest.com/joaquinmiller-02.html

I like combining either Chaparral or Cinderella with the Sinawik Loop. Chaparral can be a little rough on a hardtail, depending on how aggressively you go at it. It's about 1/4 mile of cascading log waterbars. Cinderella has some fast, flowing singletrack, with some loose rock in the middle and some waterbar drops towards the very end.

Anybody interested in a "Day After Thanksgiving Ride" ?

I was thinking SOQUEL, THE GAP, Wilder or Waterdog. Got a better trail? Make a suggestion...

I'll be riding with my brother to burn the calories... if anyone is interested, let me know.

I'm outta town.

SDF 12-4?

Butch said:
I'm outta town.
Likewise. I'll be up in Auburn on Thanksgiving morning though, with Thanksgiving dinner set to take place in Sacramento.
SDF 12-4?
How about Sunday 12-5? SDF / Tamarancho / Annadel / Wilder / China Camp?

OK, 12-5 works for me...

MrCrash907 said:
Likewise. I'll be up in Auburn on Thanksgiving morning though, with Thanksgiving dinner set to take place in Sacramento.

How about Sunday 12-5? SDF / Tamarancho / Annadel / Wilder / China Camp?

I'm already planning on making the 12-5 ride. My votes for Annadel.....:teeth

For 11/25 - We'll be at the Gap and for 11/26 - We'll probably be at Wilder.

Still open for a.nyone who wants to burn the fat

Last edited:
MassiveAttack said:
I'm already planning on making a 12-5 ride. My votes for Annadel.....:teeth

For 11/25 - We'll be at the Gap and for 11/26 - We'll probably be at Wilder.

Still open for a.nyone who wants to burn the fat

Have you been to Mt. Tam. or Lake Chabot? Those are the place to go if you want to burn some calories. If I not going dirt bike riding, then I'll let you know. I might up for a ride on any ofthe trail I'd mentioned or maybe even Annadel.

One of my first rides was at the fireroads around Lake Chabot. Soon afterwards, I discovered singletrack. Skeggs, Miller, SDF. For me, there was no going back...

Would you be game for Rockville? I have yet to really explore that place.

MrCrash907 said:
One of my first rides was at the fireroads around Lake Chabot. Soon afterwards, I discovered singletrack. Skeggs, Miller, SDF. For me, there was no going back...

Would you be game for Rockville? I have yet to really explore that place.

Always game for Rockville, it's my backyard. Just let me know ahead of time when you guys wanna go.

MassiveAttack said:
Anybody interested in a "Day After Thanksgiving Ride" ?

I was thinking SOQUEL, THE GAP, Wilder or Waterdog. Got a better trail? Make a suggestion...

I'll be riding with my brother to burn the calories... if anyone is interested, let me know.

I may be in for SDF on Friday (after Turkey Day)...

I'M IN, ... I'M IN!!
Anytime after 10am on Friday morning (after thanx giving) until Sunday. Anyone one of those 3 days is good for me.
I don't care where we ride just make sure if it's on Friday that you give me enough time to get there.

Also, I'll ride what ever you guys are riding but if anyone wants to really pump out a long one (18+ miles or so) I'm game for that as well.

Definitely keep me in the loop as to what you guys are doing.:teeth

Happy Thankx Givin'!
Eat hard and take no prisioners;)

Also,
I got a 20 pound bird and all the fixins.
If anyone's plans fell through for a TG feast, .... come on out to Lafayette and join me/us. I've got plenty:thumbup

PM me if interested and I'll send directions.

Met this guy the other day who carried his MTB bike on his ride...

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Pretty creative idea....

Harpo said:
I'M IN, ... I'M IN!!
Anytime after 10am on Friday morning (after thanx giving) until Sunday. Anyone one of those 3 days is good for me.
I don't care where we ride just make sure if it's on Friday that you give me enough time to get there.

Also, I'll ride what ever you guys are riding but if anyone wants to really pump out a long one (18+ miles or so) I'm game for that as well.

Definitely keep me in the loop as to what you guys are doing.:teeth

Happy Thankx Givin'!
Eat hard and take no prisioners;)

10-10:30 at Soquel Parking Lot. Let me know if you need directions, Harpo.

Back