• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Mountain Bike?

Group numbers for Downieville yesterday:

2 - Flat tires
1 - Crash
2 - Should-have-crashes but landed on my bike and rode it out
1 - Broken XT Derailleur and Derailleur Hanger
1 - Broken Carbon Fiber rear wheel dropout on a Scott demo bike
2 - Hours that Cody had to wait as we rode to the bottom, grabbed our truck, and drove back to rescue him at Packer Saddle
2 - Encounters with Pro DH racer Brian Lopes

Fun, but brutal :)

It was me, Cowboy Cody, and Muscle Pete.

Cody went over a medium sized rock about a mile into "Baby Heads" that took his derailleur, derailleur hanger, and a good chunk of the carbon fiber rear wheel dropout with it. We converted his Scott to a single speed, and figured we had two choices:

1) Attempt to finish the descent on a bike that the rear wheel could just fall off ("do you have any zip ties to hold this rear wheel in place?")

2) Bring it back up to the mile of Baby Heads onto the Pauley fireroad towards Packer, while Muscle Pete and I go down, grab the truck, and pick him up.

With 1), we figured Cody would be seriously screwed if the rear wheel dropout disintegrated further, leaving him with a 15+ mile hike out, so we opted for 2). In our haste to get out quickly, Muscle Pete washed out on a rocky section of lower Butcher, while I pretty much crashed twice, landing on my bike each time and somehow riding it out.

As much fun as I have racing and practicing for races, I'm looking forward to returning for a ride at a fun, slightly less "spirited" pace :)

("do you have any zip ties to hold this rear wheel in place?")
See, now if the Harpster was there, we'da been riden'.;)

"Hmmmm, zip-ties to hold on a rear wheel?? :wow Hold on a sec, I'll check my 25pound pack, .........GOTT'EM, ... Lets Ride." :laughing :laughing :laughing

I guess that's definitely one advantage of riding N*. Compared to a 15 mile hike out of the woods, the walk to the bottom of the '* is relatively short, ...... Well, as long as you're not doing it with half your femer stuck out of your leg from that 25 ft gap jump that you missed! :rolleyes That makes for a seriously long hobble down. :( :rolleyes :laughing :twofinger

PS. :twofinger F@#$ all you fast racer bastages that I'll never be able to ride with again.(on xc rides anyway) Man I miss timed loops at Tamarancho and screaming down Annadel with you Mikey :(

Last edited:
d-ville sounds to be a blast... that's the first ive heard of carbon breaking like that. good thing it was a demo or i would be :mad its expensive material.

on a side note...
anyone out here not soo fast (btw: also miss posing and trying to keep up with crash & harpo...) and local to the bay... planning on treking out to china camp for a lap and if my body can survive another.

Last edited:
What you need to do is ride the bikes, I sold my enduroSL even after I upgraded the suspension front and rear, I did like the Nomad but could not afford it, I bought a used Reign X for half what the Nomads were going for.

Ryan however likes the enduroSL and rides it well, his level of riding is above mine. (read- I needed a heavier bike that withstands being thrown on rocks).

I was also peeved at the "special"ized 25mm hub and axle :rolleyes
come on, the 20mm has been standard for a while, why make it hard for people to swap wheel sets?

thanks fawndog... i picked up the sl for a good price and gave it a hack on some fire road trails the other day... so far so good but feels weak & unstable compared to the blur.

going to try and get it out on some single track this weekend.

also the 25mm was a surprise to me too, but can be accommodated for with a hurricane fork up mount. i picked it up used for about $25 bucks on ebay... problem solved.

---

d-ville sounds to be a blast... that's the first ive heard of carbon breaking like that. good thing it was a demo or i would be :mad its expensive material.

on a side note...
anyone out here not soo fast (btw: also miss posing and trying to keep up with crash & harpo...) and local to the bay... planning on treking out to china camp for a lap and if my body can survive another.

I go there at least a couple times a week. Let me know when you want to go.

20th century out, 21st century in

I'm going to update the drivetrain on my old Cannondale. Can the DYMB collective recommend some choices for bottom bracket, crank arms, chain, and rear hub? thx (and if anyone has a rear hub that they're not using, e.g., attached to a taco'd wheel, that they'd like to donate to the cause, that'd be much appreciated)

Shameless plug for myself

Got a Fox DHX 5 Coil (9.5x3.0) that I need to get rid of ASAP.

$170, its in MINT condition. Only ran for 2 months, was a back up shock...

Help me out!!!

2 sets of shimano xt cranks

1st set the granny tabs have been shaved off and were used on a SS setup. 175mm, includes bb. newer style arms. few minor scratches. can include a non-ramped 34t ring. $75

2nd set is 175mm, includes bb, but no chainrings. hardly any marks on cranks. newer style arms. $125

or possibly willing to trade for mtn parts. lemme know what you have. thanks

Took a nice digger on cindy today , fullface lids ftmfw. Last run, took a tight line on the first rock crossing right hander before the rock section, I think I snagged one of the rocks wrong and it came up(was defiantly misplaced), tucked the front , blew my front tire as well. Possible video later. :party

so as that I am currently not working, everyday is basically vacation, and the bike just got some new goodies, would anyone care to give up the location of some of these places that I keep reading about in this thread?

Shuttling in a silver truck around 6? Sorry to hear about the crash.:(

yea probably us

heres the crash , you can barely make out the side of my head bouncing off the trail before I rolled. You can also see the rock that came out. I'm gonna try to fix that up a bit next time im out there. :loco

[youtube]
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4TEtgTBD_JE&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4TEtgTBD_JE&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

[/youtube]

Last edited:
I know that little rut you got stuck in, its a little nasty bugger. I could see how that could catch your front wheel easily if you didn't prepare for it. You guys were flyin, loved watching you hit the kickers, especially the one right before the downhill shoot.

I know that little rut you got stuck in, its a little nasty bugger. I could see how that could catch your front wheel easily if you didn't prepare for it. You guys were flyin, loved watching you hit the kickers, especially the one right before the downhill shoot.

Yea I took a different line , thought it was good but the rock got me. We had a good group going. Im working on getting an HD camcorder for some good east bay footage.

Heres the rest of the footage of us goofin off. Dude with helmet cam had bad luck off the line :ride

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fGshArearqw&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fGshArearqw&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Last edited:
You guys had a "Barf Ride" 3 riders down :laughing

Camera guy with a nice pass down Westridge, complete with leaves an shit stuck to his gloves from hitting all the plants. :thumbup

Back